FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
NEW HERO PROP BUILD - work in progress
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirohawa wrote:

No, there is another...

There is always another!

Bill, great pics, and they certainly show a slotted screw, unless there is some real funky lighting happening. Very nice rediscovery... Thanks again!

I do think that the weaver knob is just cooler, but I will always side with accuracy, well almost always Surprised

Tom
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I may have to ask Rich to make mine with the slotted screw though I also like the weaver better.I'm a damn stickler...... Crying or Very sad
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning piece!

What material is your cylinder cover made from?

Also, what future work are you planning to put into the pistol?

Again, absolutely stunning work!

Nick
Heat2237
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirohawa post some pics!!!
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickdarling: thanks for the enthusiastic compliments!

The Cylinder cover is made from aluminium. Actually, it's a modified Coyle cover. I needed it to fit the curve of the Bulldog more closely and then adapted it further to fix the "screwdriver" to it in exactly the same place as the hero. It was interesting to see how far away from the side of the receiver it actually sits.

Well, there is still quite a bit to do; I still need to find a couple of screws and a washer to fit into the right side of the ammo housing. I am thinking of makeing the "jewellers screwdriver" again from scratch and fit the working green LED to it.

I also still have the original Steyr magazine which I need to fit the Red LED's and switch to. I have a good swith and the 2 sizes of red LED's BUT have not been able to find the correct size "eyes" to fit them into.
If ANYONE out there knows where I can get ones like the picture below PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat2237 wrote:
hirohawa post some pics!!!

Here is a teaser - it is incomplete they are all Real parts and I am currently bringing it up to Worldcon specs. I am also probably going to keep the slotted screw But I have a real Weaver knob just in case.

steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deck I think someone on here had them,maybe even some to sell but I can't remember who or find the thread.I'm sure if he reads this he'll jump in.They were plastic LED holders that gave the correct round look......I'm wondering if the hero prop wires were also hidden in the original or left exposed as seen at Worldcon?
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are 3mm Plastic LED holders. You can find them on ebay if not at a local electronics store.
Gusmanb
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW HERO PROP BUILD - work in progress Reply with quote

DeckB26354 wrote:
Hi all

This is made from all original gun parts and custom made steel parts, namely the bolt with probe and front cap.

WAAAAOOOWWWW!!

You have incredible talent!
How did you make the steal parts?
Is this made entirely from scratch?

Are you considering building them to sell?

Sweat work!
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

I will check eBay for the correct ones. I have bought some from the local electronic store but like Rich Coyles ones they have not got a thick enough surround like the original.

Gusmanb: Thanks for the vote of confidence. It's great actually because I have been doing this one my own for so long and my enthusiasm was just begginning to slip a litltle buy you guys have all boosted me to keep going!

I made the steel parts from scratch in a great workshop that I hire by the hour. The place is a mess! But they have some good equipment and a couple of nice lathes, which is how I made the custom parts. Actually, the bolt inside is just one peice of steel which runs from the Steyr end cap all the way to the probe at the other end. I'm quite pleased with it !

Laughing there is no way I would consider making another! The work & time involved is enourmous. Also, there are some stressful moments I would not want to repeat EVER! Sanding the ammo housing down to fit was tough and also repeatedly heating and bending the Steyr bolt handle until it was absloutely right and matched the hero prop was really hard work.
bsgfan12
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it is amazing.
Have you ever fired it?
With so many pieces added on to the revolver, can all the added pieces absorb the shock?
Do you think it would stand up to repeated firing? Not that I imagine you will be blasting away at cans with it.
________
Bbw asian

Last edited by bsgfan12 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yes I have fired it. It's fine. I mean it's ridiculously heavy, and for that reason completely impractical but It's really is just a Bulldog with a longer barrel. Very Happy
Also the cylinder doesn't turn on every discharge because the turning arm or "hand" had to be removed as it jams against the cover.

The pic above shows the colour I worked to for the receiver and the bolt handle. Mine is the one on the right!
bsgfan12
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's pretend I know nothing about machining metal and construction in general. If I had a bulldog and say, Coyle's metal blaster, could I use those parts and attach them to a real bulldog? Richard was vaguely toying with the idea of building me a firing version, but it really is impractical transferring a firearm unless you live in Arizona like him. I doubt I would ever try it, but do you think it would even work?
________
BUY VAPORGENIE

Last edited by bsgfan12 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it might work. More than likely though, store bought ammo would end up cracking some of the pewter as they can be pretty powerful.

I've fired Craig Kovachs full hero gun years ago (which cycled the cylinder, by the way, we could fire all 5 rounds no problem) and it's an all steel build with the real parts, and while we only ever fired low powder blanks, the gun seemed like it could fire full loads too. I thnk Craig has a nice rifled barrel installed in it incase he ever wanted to fire projectiles.

You can see him with the gun, and firing it, here if you're interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_adTm6LFT4g

Maybe one day Craig will chime in with some insight and engineering secrets for the two or thre heroes he's built. But I doubt it. He plays it close to the vest!
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a huge screen filling closeup of the right(left duh) side of the blaster in the workprint(I was just watching that on the new DVD it's probably in the regular movie too but tonight I froze it).The wires are definately exposed and run snug to the body right in front of the cylinder cover.Later when Deckard drops it another closeup of the same side(not as close)and you can't see the wires.Goes to show how tough it is to go by screenshots.....I hope somebody posts a capture of the right side of the blaster,against the wall be fore Batty grabs it,I wanted to but don't know how,never done it.I wish there was as good a view of the right side but I don't think there is.The LED's on the gun are very hard to see,even in the very dark Bradbury,the one on the bottom doesn't show at all so no shock that people missed it.

Last edited by steevy on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:45 am; edited 2 times in total
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that would be the left side of the blaster, with the wires.

Wires appear visible when it's the hero prop (with red LEDs lit)... later when Batty crashes thru the wall and pulls Deckard's hand through, it seems to be the rubber stunt pistol (all black with orange grips).

When Batty hands the gun back to Deckard it's the hero again (he raises it and shoots back at Batty), and you can see the wires.

When Deckard drops the gun on the floor, it's hard to tell if there are wires or not. Either not, or the wires are hidden in the shadows.

All these grabs are from the Workprint.

- k
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deckard approaches Rachel on the bed. Again from the workprint.

Earlier, we saw Deckard entering his apartment and sweeping around with the blaster... you see the LEDs lit clearly here.

- k
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another round of great pics! Thanks.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, truly fantastic pictures! Thank you for sharing
Ham Salad
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeckB26354 wrote:
Thanks guys,

Laughing there is no way I would consider making another! The work & time involved is enourmous. .

But would you make more parts? I'd love to get a better metal 'screwdriver'...the one on my gun is plastic and tends to catch on things, I 've a feeling one day I'm going to hear this 'snap' and....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: