FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Veektohr's Blaster Projects
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking very good all around! Love the vid also Keep on truckin/building/transforming!
veektohr
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

I got the trigger guard installed today. It could use a little find tuning, as it's a tad wobbly. I had it secure, but the way I'd done it was causing it to pull to the side, so I just left everything pressure fit for now. It's pretty secure, so I'll fix it later.

To get it in there, though, I basically just filed out a notch in the Bulldog grip frame.

Easy peasy. Then I drilled out the front cylinder crane hole on the frame so that the plug on the Tomen trigger guard would pop in, et voila!

Just have the barrel to bore out now. I've had to sand, and shave tons of things that I haven't mentioned to get it all fitting right. I think that's all due to errors on my part, though. I might do another one someday, and I think with better measuring & a few extra tools I could get it to fit together even better.

Still, I'm really happy with how it's all turning out... although in the end I guess it just looks like a Tomen, or a Takagi with a metal receiver. But in my head it's so much more Smile

Now I have to go fill out my DROS for something very exciting.

Exclamation
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veektohr wrote:
Did another quick test fire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW2pKyOi6PU&feature=youtu.be

Need to get that barrel bored out! There's also some discoloration happening on the Steyr from the gases escaping the cylinder. Looks kinda cool to me, though Smile

Cool video. I had to accommodate for conventional flash gap heat and overpressure with my shooter hitting the side panels. I know one guy who built a shooter trimmed his panels to allow venting.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veektohr wrote:

Exclamation

We Californians know what THAT means. Shocked

Cool. If I can be of any help please feel free to ask.
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veektohr wrote:

Exclamation

WHat??? What??? I'm not Californian! I don't know!! You're not building a REAL one are you?????
veektohr
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cool video. I had to accommodate for conventional flash gap heat and overpressure with my shooter hitting the side panels. I know one guy who built a shooter trimmed his panels to allow venting.

Yeah, one thing this silly build has made me realize is how incredibly difficult a shooter build would be. I'm encountering all the problems, just with none of the consequences if I don't fix them all! Every time I test fire though and notice the cylinder a little out of alignment, I think "hmm if that was a .44 my hand would be shredded."

Quote:
WHat??? What??? I'm not Californian! I don't know!! You're not building a REAL one are you?????

The first step has been taken Smile I honestly don't have any idea on how long it'll take. It mostly depends on how much I source out. I know the limitations of my skills, and value keeping all of my limbs attached! So with that in mind, it will either be at the speed at which I can bring my machining ability up to the necessary level (very slow)... or just let a pro handle it. I've got the fever right now, though, that's for sure.
veektohr
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a little bit of free time today, so I ran down to the workshop and bored out the barrel.

Cool. As you can see a lot is still coming out the cylinder gap. I didn't make the hole that big since the way it mounts to the receiver is the same as the Tomenosuke - basically by working as a plug, which is the opposite thing that I want right now. Next time I'm there, I'm going to increase the bore as big as I can while it stays strong. Right now it's only at about 3/16 of an inch so there's plenty of room for me to go I think. Still, it's encouraging!

Oh, video: https://youtu.be/khTQpOG7rLo
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool vid and cool pics...yeah, lots of fire-works with those types of guns.
I don't think you can eliminate all of it, but as eltee mentioned, cover plate could be thinned out to allow better venting all around.
veektohr
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New member of the family arrived today Smile

Got it for a decent price. Didn't have a magazine... which was ok because I already had one, but also because of a flaw in the stamping on one side, where it looks like the die slipped.

I'm going back and forth on how much that bothers me, honestly. It's very slight, but sometimes that's the stuff that drives you crazy in the long run. Hmmm Rolling Eyes

Eh, still: new gun day!
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice acquisition.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can already see those Austrians knowing that "The die slipped" went into some kind of apoplectic choc Anyhoo, great acquisition for sure and very excited to see what you'll cook for us in the coming days/weeks.
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*drool*

That's it from me for now, I'll be in the corner trying to control my envy....

That is so cool man....
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, time to chop another gorgeous rifle? Wink

Nice leupold scope on there too!

The stamping issue is odd. QC at the factory must have been home sick that day.

That pic of the blaster firing is really cool. I love stuff like that.
veektohr
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing around on Fusion360 since it's free. Started thinking about making some custom grips for the Franken-blaster. I always thought the black police-grips were nice, but sacrificed one of the key aesthetic qualities of the blaster, so I thought "what about smoked acrylic?"

Kinda cool! I'm not very efficient yet, but hopefully as I get my chops a little more honed I can crank some of these out. The checkering was the biggest pain the butt, which is why I left it so coarse. The way I modeled it was just way too annoying, so I dumbed it down a little.

More later!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoked "dark/black" grips are cool for sure. Along the years, members (Rick Ross, DaveG, RacProps) have proposed/sold different types of grips for their products/projects and one more can add to the dream of having one of those affixed to their gun. Great job modeling that one man
veektohr
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Smoked "dark/black" grips are cool for sure. Along the years, members (Rick Ross, DaveG, RacProps) have proposed/sold different types of grips for their products/projects and one more can add to the dream of having one of those affixed to their gun. Great job modeling that one man

Thanks! I haven't done any modeling since college (sadly many years ago now) so it's been something of a learning curve picking this stuff back up.

I have always been enamored with the way Riskbreaker's CNC grips turned out, and was thinking of giving these a whack once I learn how to use the one in the workshop I joined recently.

I think the toughest part about offering substitute grips is that all the kits' grip-frames are slightly different. You almost need to offer one along with them just to make sure they'll fit.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's a pain trying to affix one and only one kind of grip to every model out there. Confused
veektohr
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to break down the rifle today. I was on the fence about it, but who am I kidding. Before I did, I had to take this photo, though. Couldn't help it Smile

Everything disassembled pretty much as expected. Couple of screws, and the trigger guard came out. Couple of pins and the action could be removed. Easy peasy. The hardest thing was getting the barrel off the receiver, which has been well documented by others. I ended up grinding a relief channel with my dremel on the underside of the receiver. Still took some leverage, but nothing too crazy. Left me with this.

Don't think I'll every get tired of these forms. Also, I don't think I'd ever seen what the safety looks like before it's modified. Annnnd one more for the 'gram.

I also got some more practice with Fusion. Tried using lofts to make something a little more organic than last time.

None of these have been to any scale, or reference -- purely just messing around. I think I might try to mock up a set with a grip frame soon, though, because why not?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great update veekthor...you're brave taking that gun apart.
veektohr
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gang's all here . Time to get serious about those grips & get thee to a gunnery. I mean gunsmith. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: