FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
PAPER PROPS - The Magazines Reimagined
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: THANK YOU ALL! Reply with quote

I look back on this (now) 5 -Year Ride here on The Summit and all I can say is
WOW!

And "Thanks!" to all of those here who have been so kind with their comments and contributions. To connect with so many talented people, and hear from those like Tom Southwell who actually worked on the film and has been so generous with his answers and images, is AMAZING!

Never woulda thunk it! in my wildest dreams, back in '82 the night i walked out of that little 4-plex in awe of Sir Ridley's second sci-fi. : )

As always, continue to "Have A Better One!" - Replicant 13
DVD Connoisseur
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An amazing collection. I'd love to see a full set of prints for sale.

So fantastic, my man cave yearns for these! Very Happy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replicant 13...and not one of your post was boring Cool Wink Great covers, research and yes, Tom Southwell was a trove of info that only somebody like him could've shared Exclamation To the next 5 years and into BR 2049.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: UP YOUR FASHION! Reply with quote

For the high-rise elite, Fashions for OffWorld $$$.

Who designs this stuff anyway? Confused - R13

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love her hat Cool Great design!
DVD Connoisseur
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: My attempt at a BR magazine Reply with quote

I've finally created my first magazine for display in my man cave. After collating BR-esque pics from around the inter web, I decided to display some of my favourites in a soft-bound volume.

The result's pleasing and I'm now working on Kill and Horn magazines. I have a full hi-res copy of Whitehall's "Kill" cover but I'm struggling to locate a decent "Horn" cover. At the moment, I've improvised and worked something up as an original design.

If anyone has a hi-res version of Horn, please let me know. This will be strictly for my own use only and not for commercial gain.

[/i]
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: NICE! Reply with quote

Nicely done!

I always like to see others tackling these covers! Keeping interest in the original alive.

It remains to be seen what we will experience in the new movie - good or bad. With current tech being what it is, I doubt there will be much, if any, props (magazines) envisioned in paper.

• • •

I was hopeful from my beginnings here in 2011 that this would be a thread where research and efforts for all BR Paper Props could reside. While much has been discussed and revealed, few have tackled the magazines themselves, understandably. It takes a lot of time and effort to create these - especially since the main reference was so small and limited, for such a long time. While I created my versions of nine, at one point it was suggested there were 11 total.

To my knowledge any info (aside from Tom Southwell's kind revelations and his FASH cover) nothing more has surfaced. So no DROID, HORN or KROTCH art. As I recall Tom said another artist did the DROID. Sadly, the origins of that image may never truly be known.

So kudos for your work here, DVDC! I look forward to seeing your future efforts.

HAB1! - R13
DVD Connoisseur
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks. I can't take credit for the cover art, though - that was all Whitehall's talent (part of his digital package). I've just compiled the images, added filters, cut and pasted, etc.

I'm spending a lot more time on the next couple of magazines - adding articles, features, etc.

Cheers!

DVDC
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: THE GUTS Reply with quote

I never took mine the full route, concentrating on the covers and later doing ads to fill out the backs. Usually wrapped them around a magazine of the same general size of the original OMNI, for which I had a subscription, back in the 80's, although my FASH is larger, patterned after INTERVIEW and the larger format fashion mags.

Then kudos to Whitehall as well.

If time permits, I might tackle a redo of the original illustrations done for the actual props back in 1980 - since no high-rez scans seem to have ever surfaced.

- R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS those mags with us DVDC...great add-on to any BR collection Cool
DVD Connoisseur
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, joberg! Very Happy
DVD Connoisseur
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking through the worldwide web for bits and pieces for a Zord magazine and I stumbled on this:-

https://www.behance.net/gallery/17022157/Zord-Magazine

Currently attempting to contact the creator to see if there are any copies left!
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: FASCINATING! Reply with quote

LOVE THIS FIND, DVDC!

Art imitates life imitates art!

Nicely imagined by Arantxa Gisbert and Zalzberg, de Avila and Avellana. Quite an undertaking and excellently done!

Noted as published in Spain in 2014!

Nice discovery! - R13

DVD Connoisseur
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was amazed that the zord font has been captured so perfectly. I seem to have spent an age trying to replicate (ouch!) this font - I come close, but no cigar.

The content is the icing on this wonderful cake. One day, I'll track one of these magazines down!
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: ZORDORIFFIC Reply with quote

I would LOVE to get my hands on one as well. . . . . Alas, I am stuck in the States.

- R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mag looks so...BR TFS with us DVDC!
Futurepig
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: My attempt at a BR magazine Reply with quote

DVD Connoisseur wrote:
I've finally created my first magazine for display in my man cave. After collating BR-esque pics from around the inter web, I decided to display some of my favourites in a soft-bound volume.

The result's pleasing and I'm now working on Kill and Horn magazines. I have a full hi-res copy of Whitehall's "Kill" cover but I'm struggling to locate a decent "Horn" cover. At the moment, I've improvised and worked something up as an original design.

If anyone has a hi-res version of Horn, please let me know. This will be strictly for my own use only and not for commercial gain.

[/i]

That's beautiful! Did you use an on-demand print service for it?
Planing to put them for sale?
DVD Connoisseur
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Futurepig

I won't be offering these for sale as it wouldn't be right (the images within the magazine, and even the cover, have been produced by far more talented individuals than I, and I don't own the copyright). I've used third party images for this project as I desperately wanted some BR magazines in my collection and I hope I'm treating the creators' work with due respect.

With regards printing, I've been using a few online services for BR related projects and I'm still learning the best techniques for collating images, etc. Given the size of this magazine and the quality of the paper, the cost of the "publication" wasn't too onerous. There are a few tweaks I'll make to any future magazines - I'd underestimated space required for internal borders, etc.

Kind regards

DVDC
DVD Connoisseur
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: ZORDORIFFIC Reply with quote

Replicant 13 wrote:
I would LOVE to get my hands on one as well. . . . . Alas, I am stuck in the States.

Having contacted Arantxa, it turns out that the Spanish Zord was a school project! The images had me totally convinced it was a genuine publication. Very impressive work!
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: 2014 ZORD Reply with quote

Thanks for checking further DVDC.

I assumed it might be from the text, but did get the impression it was perhaps published.

Of course, now, with smaller quantities at low cost run digitally for such uses, it makes sense - as good as it appears, few were probably produced. Too bad. No doubt the files may still exist, but there my be rights issues with the photography.

Still, beautifully done.

- R13
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: