FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Chest pin version 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyrellCorp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Chest pin version 1 Reply with quote

Just finished version 1 of my Kaiser chest pin. Tons of research to figure it out. Version 2 will have a larger stone and tapered stone mount. Feedback welcome!

[/img]
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True thing of beauty, what`s the background story?

And welcome to the forum.
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding. And welcome! Are you going for a full costume/figure?
TyrellCorp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! well, Ive always thought that pin was so cool - sort of a symbol of the dystopian theme in the movie. A classic piece of jewelry, but modified and repurposed. Anyway - I assumed I could easily find one online by searching for something like "1940's broach, red stone". Lol. I discovered that nothing existed like it out there. To make matters worse, the pin only shows up a few times in the entire movie, and only once in a close up shot. So I could hardly discern what design it even was. Thus began my quest.

I started by taking movie screen shots of the pin from the Blu-Ray DVD set. Incidentally, I found that the International release DVD of Blade Runner is the highest quality of them all. My guess is that version was not copied/edited as heavily as the other versions because of low market response and higher expenses, so the original celluloid film is likely in better shape. Anyway, after analyzing a few screen shots I was having trouble understanding the base design of the pin. I assumed that the pin designed was based on a German cross (4 points). This seemed reasonable given the other German-style set pieces throughout the movie (the eagle post when Rachel first walks in, the candelabras in Tyrell's bedroom, etc.) Using Photoshop, I was able to trace the edges of the pin and zoom in close enough to see that in fact, it was a 5-point cross - which is what the French use. Looking back, this makes sense now given that the toy is dressed in a French Napoleonic costume - but that escaped me initially.

Once I understood I was dealing with a French military badge of some sort, I had a breakthrough. Through online research I found that the base of the badge is actually an uncommon French League of Honor badge. Fortunately I eventually found a Russian badge replica maker and bought a perfect replica from him. Now I just needed to modify it by adding a red stone. Sounds simple enough. Except not really.

After more research into red stones and further analysis on the screen shots, I found that I needed a large ruby-red hemispheric cabochon stone. I was able to find a few online, but none that were the right size, shape and color. So I decided to make one myself. Using polyester resin, red dye, and silicon molds, I made probably 20 stones until I got the one I wanted.

Next - I needed a way to mount the stone. After talking to several jewelers and metal workers, I decided to create my own.

First, I created a 3D model of the mounting by measuring the base badge and my resin stone. I did this online at tinkerCAD.com, then sent the 3D model to shapeways.com to have the mounting 3D printed in gray steel and shipped to me. That took like 3 weeks Sad

Finally, the mount and stone were epoxied to the base pin.

Now of course I see ways it can be improved - so Im working on a new stone and mount right now. So there's the background. I have a few pics of the process if anyone is interested.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and great job making that medal. Since SRS is a fan of the Napoleonic era, the Tyrell`s set was adorned with 2 French eagles (the one used throughout that era: flag poles, statues and the likes).

Second, the Royal Doulton figurines showing in the chess scene are from the Napoleonic era also: a Hussard for sure...I'am not sure for the other one.

Try to stay away from German stuff when it's about Ridley; it Napoleon all the way Wink
TyrellCorp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.. very helpful insight. Guess I've assumed too much re: Germanic design motifs. Thanks!
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on pulling this project together as well. Tricky stuff

Here are two photos that will help a lot. Smile

And a big scan from a slide I bought a couple years ago for this project-
http://propsummit.com/upload/165/napoleon-adjusted.jpg

I'd love to turn this thread into a hardcore research thread. Great project that I've been meaning to dive into for a LOOOONG time.

Such a bummer that all these medals and epaulettes are so expensive to hunt down even if you find them!

The helmet he where's is actually not a German helmet but a Spanish helmet in a similar style-
http://www.ima-usa.com/german-m-42-style-steel-helmet-from-spain.html

Can't wait to dig in further!
TyrellCorp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! those are the best pics of the badge pins Ive ever seen. I wish I had those earlier. So I def need a larger stone on mine. The funny thing is it looks like the prop makers for the movie just stuck a red stone on a thick washer, blacked out the eagle and inscriptions, then mounted it directly on top of the center of the pin. Notice the edges around the stone mount. You can see small parts of the eagle underneath. I guess they figured it would never be under such scrutiny. lol. Anyway - thanks again for the close ups!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nick for that one. Lots of medals on his chest are of the same model/design. Some painted silver, some gold and with different stones.
Epaulettes are expensive, specially vintage ones (gold threads ones are for high rank officers only) Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: