FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Deckard Wallet to Avoid?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcuslaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Deckard Wallet to Avoid? Reply with quote

In light of the fact I apparently cannot report the item to eBay, I am taking the unusual step to post my opinion about a Deckard Wallet being sold on the auction site (item number: 332030680817). The seller calls it "Blade Runner Deckard Badge WALLET PROP SET ID BEST I'VE HAVE EVER SEEN 15 PIECES". I purchased this, or perhaps a previous copy, and returned it before learning about and later acquiring one of Phil Steinschneider's (http://www.steinschneider.com/props/blade_runner/wallet/project_outline.htm). I know that many of you already know that Deckard's "badge" as seen on screen looks nothing like this. I was willing to overlook that discrepancy under the mistaken belief that a screen accurate version wasn't available to buy.

The real rub I have with this item, however, was with the cheap wallet itself (made of a thin PVC/PU) and the poor quality of the cards. If the cards are made from heavy stock, then the maker's definition of "heavy" is different than most. They felt thin to me. A couple were discolored as if printed on thin paper with an inkjet printer. The edges were not cut straight and some had jagged points. The badge itself was heavy and well made though not anything like what Deckard carried. The real winner in the wallet was the currency though it looked nothing like the kind used by Phil in his. So word to any newbies to BR prop collecting. This might be the best this seller as ever seen, but it is far from the best. If you cannot afford one of Phil's, then understandably you might have no other choice. However, you should consider replacing the faux wallet itself and the cards even before it arrives in mail.

Last edited by marcuslaw on Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a picture?

Even though it's been stated that the production used badge has been found, I'm pretty sure it's never been confirmed with certainty... One is never actually seen on screen, the ID yes, but not an actual badge.

Eltee offered a beautiful smaller, golden wallet badge in the style of the FORCE badge... IMO the best ever made.
marcuslaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post some photos later I took of the wallet before returning it. BTW. I could swear I saw glimpses of Deckard's badge while watching the final cut and that Phil's resembled it.
marcuslaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I suppose I'm wrong about seeing the actual badge on screen and was blissfully ignorant of the debate over the existence and authenticity of the original. Hopefully, Phil's is the real deal. But whether you chose to put your faith in the Worldcon or Phil's, this badge in the auction site wallet looks like neither but rather a modern day version.

Anyhoo, here is a link to a small album of photos taken of the auction site wallet that I received and returned. I can't get the photos to their proper orientation when I include links to post each individual pic. The photos show its cards on the right side of some others that I already owned at the time. Regardless as to which one might best represent what is believed to be the original, the ebay wallet's flaws are readily apparent.

http://s962.photobucket.com/user/marcuslaw/slideshow/eBay%20Wallet
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quess this is the one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blade-Runner-Deckard-Badge-WALLET-PROP-SET-ID-BEST-IVE-HAVE-EVER-SEEN-15-PIECES-/332030680817?hash=item4d4e921ef1:g:zJsAAOSw5cNYKFN-

It would be interesting to know if he's printing that money or reselling it?
marcuslaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one. Caveat emptor. I doubt that he makes the bills. Their quality is much higher than the cards. But again, they look nothing like the one's Phil includes with his.
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could swear that I remember those notes being designed and offered by a member here as a download set... Whitefall? Seller should not be making money on that...
DVD Connoisseur
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buch wrote:
I could swear that I remember those notes being designed and offered by a member here as a download set... Whitefall? Seller should not be making money on that...

You're absolutely right on the money [ouch!]. These notes are Whitefall's.

The seller is a true amateur. I nearly purchased one of these sets, so glad I didn't.
marcuslaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 10-year old can produce better cards than what was contained in that wallet. There were other issues associated with the transaction that I won't go into. Suffice it say, I would not buy from him again which he's helped ensure by blocking me from bidding on his items. Good riddance.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the FYI...note to self: a few wallet/badge/cards/money are worth your while; and for any newbie, these cards were produced by members of Propsummit before (some were offered for free and others were sold here).

Their quality were always top notch (including wallet/badge) and I'm afraid that over the years, sellers on Ebay copied those (with lesser quality) and fleecing people who didn't know better.

It's sad Evil or Very Mad
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should leave negative feedback on ebay to warn others.
marcuslaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could have left negative feedback but was prevented from doing so given that I opened a case with eBay. Besides, I would have just gotten retaliatory feedback.

Even though the seller doesn't accept returns, I was able to force it through eBay's buyer protection program. What surprised me is the positive feedback he's gotten from what I would assume are from sales of previous runs. I knew immediately upon first laying eyes on the contents that thing was going back to Canada.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcuslaw wrote:
I wish I could have left negative feedback but was prevented from doing so given that I opened a case with eBay. Besides, I would have just gotten retaliatory feedback.

Even though the seller doesn't accept returns, I was able to force it through eBay's buyer protection program. What surprised me is the positive feedback he's gotten from what I would assume are from sales of previous runs. I knew immediately upon first laying eyes on the contents that thing was going back to Canada.

You can't get negative feedback as a buyer.

People I guess have low standards or are not aware as to what is really out there.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much wrong with this wallet it is sad. As far as the Badge, I agree that Eltee's is the best I know of, and Phil's is pretty cool regardless of its authenticity. I personally can't stand the use of the current LAPD badge as the film one, because it is first, A current badge (with the current LAPD building, and not the film one), and second, potentially illegal to own because it is based on a current badge. I don't know if he actually had a badge or not made, but I hope one does show up, even if it was never seen on screen.

I say always ask here first before buying any of these "eBay Props", because 9 times out of 10 they are rip offs of ones made here with high mark up, and rarely any good. But there is a sucker born every minute, or at least people with no patience to do the research. I think that is what this place is for, as a place to find that information.

Good luck dealing with them and thank you for warning others.
Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: