FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Marushin COP 357 - Silver (8mm)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gusmanb
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Marushin COP 357 - Silver (8mm) Reply with quote

if any one is interested i found A great source for the COP 357 (Airsoft)

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/ProductDetail?prodID=16226

Any one know of this website?
and the quality of there guns?

Last edited by Gusmanb on Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty well known airsoft site. I've actually ordered from them before.
They carry a lot of different brands, and Marushin is good quality. Can't remember from my last order, but I think the shipping was kind of high.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the Marushin FN 5.7 and the detail and quality of the build are really good. I think Marushin is more known for their plug fire guns than their airsofts, but if you're looking for a good replica they'll get the job done.

Keep in mind that any airsoft coming into the US will have either a red plastic tip, or will have the first half inch of the barrel painted in flourescent orange paint. I wont get into the how-tos of removing the paint, but I've done it with several airsofts that I've bought over the years.

What I've noticed is on a black gun, the removal rarely mars the finish of the gun's plastic in a significant way, but every chromed gun I've stripped the orange paint off of has taken an enormous amount of work to get the paint off ( they seem to use a different type for the chromed guns) and the removal usually winds up stripping the chrome below it off completely. In one case the chrome had been left off the tip entirely, when I removed the orange there was just that white/grey plastic thats used for chromed plastic.

The end result being a beautiful chromed gun with a marred front end or a chromed gun with dayglo orange paint on the end, thick enough that it looks like nail polish. The only exception I've had to this was a chrome gun that had a metal compensator attached to the front, but even after stripping it down to bare metal there is a noticeable difference in the finishes. I've also not had any real luck in being able to match the chrome finish with a spray can paint.

Just something to keep in mind if you decide to buy an airsoft and live in the US. There's also the issue of trademarks, I've heard that when you order from Redwolf you can have them either permanently remove the trades, or have the trades puttied over with a removable putty. Some issue to do with copyrights on the part of the gun manufacturer. I ordered from one site and the gun arrived with the trademarks removed by dremel, which left the finish of the gun looking scarred up.

The place where I buy my airsofts from does a good job and usually the red paint is minimal or the gun ships with a red plastic flash hider attached and the black metal flash hider unattached, and the trademarks are obscured with a dark rubber putty that comes off with a little bit of fingernail work or some duct tape.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, can anyone post any pictures or screencaps that show DEFINITIVELY that the "Mother's Defender" was indeed a chromed-type finish (as opposed to blued)?
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Leon's Black Hole Gun, right? The one he used to waste Holden? "Let me tell you about my mother?"

Is this a replica of an actually existing gun, or is this based on the prop from Blade Runner?

Update: answering my own question...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COP_357_Derringer

Gives a whole new meaning to "If you're not cop, you're little people." Wink
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the photo from the website and the one I bought from them displayed in my collection.

I was really concerned about having the tip dipped in orange paint, which they have to do or else it risks being confiscated by U.S. Customs.

The .357 did arrive with orange paint as promised, but I was able to remove it with a trimmed (blunt) fingernail and it did not leave any scratches. The paint flaked off very easily from the shiny finish and I didn't use any water or any other liquid (came off dry no problem).

For the paint in the crevices, I used a cap from a Bic ballpoint pen (smooth edges). It did take some patience to get it all off, but I'd say I didn't have more than 45 minutes in perfecting the paint removal.

The result - no scratches and it got through customs! Your mileage may vary.

oldzey
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you looked closely at that scene again in the newly released version? What do you think? I still think the gun possibly has a blue/black finish (which the real gun was available in) or maybe a two tone (lower half chrome, upper in blue/black. I freeze framed through that scene but could not see a trace of chrome finish on that gun except for maybe the shiny glint on the front of the trigger guard.

Many self professed experts on BR claim that the gun was chrome but that lighting made it look black. Here is a screen cap that has been around on the web since prior to the new release.

I'm open, and my player is not that high end so maybe one of you with a high end video setup can input your observations.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll vote for two tone, sliver frame with black upper. After all Deckard's blaster turned out to be two tone as well.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mrs.Geek it is a real handgun.A four barrelled .357 derringer type pistol.The barrels fired in sequence and there was no magazine.
Update:you answered your own question Very Happy
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eltee wrote:
Have any of you looked closely at that scene again in the newly released version? What do you think? I still think the gun possibly has a blue/black finish (which the real gun was available in) or maybe a two tone (lower half chrome, upper in blue/black. I freeze framed through that scene but could not see a trace of chrome finish on that gun except for maybe the shiny glint on the front of the trigger guard.

Many self professed experts on BR claim that the gun was chrome but that lighting made it look black. Here is a screen cap that has been around on the web since prior to the new release.

I'm open, and my player is not that high end so maybe one of you with a high end video setup can input your observations.

These were my thoughts exactly.

When I look at screencaps from my HD copy, I can find no shots that convince me that the gun has a chrome finish.
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I've read about the COP says that it's stainless steel. I know it's possible now, but in '81 was there a way to "blue" stainless steel?

Possibly they just painted it black?
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like ToothTech said, from what I've read, the COP was only available in a 'semi-matte stainless' finish.
I don't know about professional hot bluing, but I don't think a cold bluing solution will work on stainless steel. It could very well have been painted matte black.
I've also read that the firing mechanism on "Mother's Defender" was modified to fire 2 blanks at a time.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a black airsoft version these days (as well as a "long barrelled" version), and I think that has confused people into thinking the gun was once available in a blued version. To my knowledge, it was only ever in stainless, and even that was short lived because nobody bought the gun!

It's just a trick of the light in that photo. Go watch the movie and there is no question it's a stainless steel gun.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did have ways to blacken stainless steel back then. Mostly coatings but I can't recall if "Aluma-Black" or similar compounds were available back then. I so much want to believe that the BR version was shiny stainless, but the pics are so UNconvincing. I'm hoping someone with an HD or Blue Ray version DVD can get a revealing screen cap.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another example of what is clearly a stainless COP. But when the light hits it a certain way, it looks black.

But it's not black, it's stainless.
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland,
From what you said, I assume there's supposed to be a gun somewhere in those photos. . . I'm just not seeing it.

oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjedi wrote:
Noeland,
From what you said, I assume there's supposed to be a gun somewhere in those photos. . . I'm just not seeing it.

I can clearly see two very big guns.
Prefect42
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Color of the COP .357 Reply with quote

I was talking with my brother last night. He's been in the used gun business for a few years. So I asked him about the color of these little gems. He says that the few examples he's seen in person appear almost bead blasted. A dull silver finish on them.

Just a little something else to add to the mix.

Ted.
Prefect42.

Buckaroo Banzai
COP 357

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. Just joined BladeZone too. I actually own a real one of these nifty little pistols. I will try to post some detailed photos soon.

Personally, I believe the gun used by Leon was indeed stainless, and it is just lighting that makes it look black. That said, I suppose that it is possible the gun was painted or toned down in some way. Also, the grip on my COP 357 is a faux wood color, not black. I read in Future Noir that the gun used in the movie was modified to fire two shots at once, as some of you have already noted. This was done to give the blanks a bigger, more impressive flash, from what I understand. How they actually modified the gun to do this, is beyond me. The construction of this little Derringer is extremely solid, and only a really good gun smith might be able to open the firing mechanism to modifiy it. My guess is they cut off one or two of the teeth on the internal wratchet mechanism to make it strike two pins at once, which would probably damage the gun if live 357 round were fired this way, but since they were just blanks, it was ok. Anyway, I am moving this week and won't have time, but I will post some photos soon. I also want to make a few vids and post them on YouTube.
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, COP 357,
Welcome to Propsummit and definitely interested in seeing pics of your "real steel" COP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: