FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Design Thread: Nostromo interiors and deck configurations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still very much a WIP of course, but I've cleaned them up a bit, adjusted things I realised were wrong, added some more features.

Feels like I'm, albeit ever so slowly, beginning to get close to something I might actually start to believe in...

Enjoy:

[EDIT: Corrected a couple more errors, filled in some more blanks, tweaked a few more details]

Last edited by Vader on Mon May 22, 2017 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it seems very complete to me Vader; excellent job Cool
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that I now can track pretty much every single shot in the movie (extended or not) in these plans, with left/right turns ending up in the correct places, as well as have the movements between cuts make sense. At least very close to it, anyway.
The only thing that is inconsistent is the aforementioned ladder orientation thing. I can live with rationalising that.

Now I really need to start thinking about filling in those blanks...
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, here's to all those pesky blanks, and the many hours we all spend filling them in.! Very Happy

I was about to ask you for a walk-thru of your plans, but now I understand what you've done. Nice work, Vader.
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, man! Very Happy
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it! Still stuff that isn't quite where it should be, but getting there, getting there...

My ambition is sort of to try to do for the Nostromo what Barbara Strachey's old book "Journeys of Frodo" did for Tolkien's Middle Earth — create a map that allows us to correctly track all movements in the original source material to the furthest extent possible, without altering or editing anything away, or adding anything that cannot directly be inferred from the source material.

So I feel confident for instance in adding power plants, even though we never see them — their existence can be inferred.
And so I feel compelled e.g. to place the access to the shuttle through the port nacelle, since we clearly see (a) the shuttle being suspended under the port "wing", and (b) Ripley taking a series of left turns to reach it. Making the access through the main hull would force me to say that the film is wrong, basically selectively dismissing it as a source where it suits my fancy, something I am only willing to do where what we see is patently impossible to reconcile in any geometrically reasonable way.
Same thing with the sick bay being on a level below the bridge, and various other details. Saying that Ripley descends down to the infirmary, not because she came straightaway from the Bridge, but because she had an errand up to the attic on the way, would mean I'd be inventing scenes or events myself not inferred on-screen, again, to suit my fancy ... which I am somewhat reluctant to do. I recognise the necessity of inventing intersections and stretches of corridor that we do not see, to connect shot A there with shot B here — and obviously, we do not follow the characters for every step they take on-screen anyway — but I try to restrain myself from inventing anything more significant than that.

The other thing I feel I can add here and there are places never visited, neither by the characters nor by the camera, during the film, but which the purpose of the ship allows us to assume are there. Additional holds for stores, for instance. Maintenance access points. Explanations for where corridors we se go off somewhere in various scenes lead to in the end. Such things.
Tennessee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's "just a tugboat", but to have a computer with a mainframe that justifies large spaces on two decks boggles my mind when I think about other ships and what their computers are like.

Image the mainframes of a battleship like the Sulaco, a science vessel like the Prometheus, or even a long-distance colony ship such as the Covenant!
"I have been arrested three times, and I have stolen a vehicle, and I also punched a police officer's horse in the mouth on St. Patrick's day. And you guys have handed me the keys to the most expensive spaceship in history. Suckers."
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true; the volume of the mainframe I've drawn in is a bit overboard, by the standards of what we would consider a computer needing today.

But I'm thinking that for a system that needs to have server storage and processing capacity enough for interstellar charts with sufficient detail for navigation, to navigate in hyperspace (who even knows what that really requires?), run the entire ship efficiently and safely on auto when the crew is in hypersleep ... and then redundancies enough to allow for at least a couple of catastrophic crash/reboot situations during the months on auto, some separation and bulkheads between redundant systems to ensure that no single physical event takes out all of Mother in one go, and so on, and so forth ... I felt I could allow myself to splurge a bit on the mainframe volume.
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another little step closer.

The more I work on these, the more I realise the Nostromo's internal layout looks nothing like a terrestrial seagoing vessel's, with an exterior hull internally subdivided by bulkheads and walls into rooms and corridors.
Rather, it is an aggregate of massive interconnected machinery, riddled through with a warren of passages and chambers for its crew to use.

Everything in between what we see here is filled with various systems, subsystems, auxiliaries, and other machinery - including the ventilation ducts. For instance, I have a fairly shrewd idea of approximately where the "3rd junction" must be located on these plans.

Last edited by Vader on Wed May 31, 2017 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I missed it, but where does the Oxygen generation/reclamation plant fit in among those other sections?
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be the atmosphere purification plant on -20.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be satisfied with these blueprints Vader Cool
Tennessee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, oh: someone has to make a sequel album for the other decks:

https://www.discogs.com/SleepResearch_Facility-Nostromo/master/112833

Wink
"I have been arrested three times, and I have stolen a vehicle, and I also punched a police officer's horse in the mouth on St. Patrick's day. And you guys have handed me the keys to the most expensive spaceship in history. Suckers."
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am ... about 87% satisfied. Still stuff to add, correct, modify.

But getting there, getting there.
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side track — has anyone been able to find a production still of the Nostromo with the floodlights in place, but not lit?

Looking at the film, it looks like they're hanging on ramps blow the hull, but the glare makes it impossible to make out any detail.

It would be interesting to see if these, too, could somehow be rationalised into the design.
Starrigger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vader wrote:
On a side track — has anyone been able to find a production still of the Nostromo with the floodlights in place, but not lit?

Looking at the film, it looks like they're hanging on ramps blow the hull, but the glare makes it impossible to make out any detail.

It would be interesting to see if these, too, could somehow be rationalised into the design.

I was thinking there was one I saw with out them on but these are usually the images I see now:

Actually I think this is the one I was thinking of:

The "board" version:

Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Starrigger!

The "board"/"christmas tree" version of course never made it on-screen, so there is fortunately no need to try to squeeze that one into the design ... the one we do see on-screen is tricky enough.

All the pictures I've seen are, annoyingly enough, more or less from the same angle -- being the one we see in the movie.
What I'm hoping someone can unearth is a picture showing the ship from the side, with the lighting ramps in position. My impression is that the floodlights must be suspended quite far aft -- more or less below the main thrusters -- but without a side view, it's almost impossible to form an accurate impression. Same with details of how the ramps are put together.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Starrigger! Those back spotlights are HUUUGE!! They're as big as the landing struts Shocked Obviously, the SFX people put them there for the look/effect and nothing more.
Starrigger
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Thanks Starrigger! Those back spotlights are HUUUGE!! They're as big as the landing struts Shocked Obviously, the SFX people put them there for the look/effect and nothing more.

Laughing I believe that they are sooo crazy huge, we should really call them flood lights instead of spot...
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Skerritt's character even calls them that, and it's his ship, soooo :-}
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 19 of 27

Jump to: