FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Rethinking Deckard's Wallet based on unused shot
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: SAMPLE . . . Reply with quote

As I sit here this AM, listening to the soundtrack for 2049, I decided to spend some time investigating wallets online. I found a decent (albeit small) image of a wallet with the type of side pocket I had seen before that I think is a good representation of what I mentioned earlier - a stamped/embossed/padded pocket -

Looking further, I found several wallets with features like those in Deckard's, but never together in one billfold, so I started cobbling an image together in Photoshop. This is "roughly" how I see the actual wallet.

A COMPOSITE

Some details are not dead-on (stitching probably varies, as well as proportions), but it is a starting point and perhaps is closer to what the actual side pocket might look like based on Talyn's reference. That pocket might even have been an embossed or stamped vinyl piece, common to less expensive wallets at that time.

BUT . . .
Of course, this all assumes that what we are looking at is not being misinterpreted. The shape of the pocket in the third panel might be the result of a slightly worn, stretched and mangled simple V-shaped pocket, but I still see a seam down its middle.

HAB1! - R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: SAMPLE . . . Reply with quote

Replicant 13 wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I need that. Yes, that is what I need. That is soooooo awesome. Well done, sir!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad Dave...it'll be even better with those transparent windows on the right hand side fold
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: PROTO Reply with quote

THANKS BUCH! - R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: WINDOW PEEPER! Reply with quote

JB -

"THAT"S THE SPIRIT!"

HA!

You just keep on thinkin' Joberg! - R 13 Smile

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Talyn
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as they’re a also a pocket under that middle section since we can see a card under there too, it looks good to me!

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one staring at different wallets for hours!
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: JOY OF THE HUNT Reply with quote

It's making that ONE discovery that justifies the time . . .

What would we do without the WWW? - R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: EXTRA POCKET Reply with quote

So . . . Karl?

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talyn wrote:

Still unsure of the material or color. While watching the final cut bluray last night, the shot where he pulls it out after killing Zhora, it almost looks brown with a black outline around the edges. Not shiny at all, like calfskin leather of suede.

This is the scene that made me think the wallet was not leather. I now realise its clearly leather one the inside but still dont think its standard leather on the outside. Looks like exposure to rain on set and handling has made it "damp".Is that a press stud there also or something clipped to the wallet?

Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: REAL OR REPLICANT Reply with quote

Maybe it's a moot point - skin from a replicant from Animoid Row? We should ask Andy . . .

Seriously, that is in question - a conflict with PKD's story. So, did the prop shop use a "leather" wallet when animals are supposedly extinct, or so rare as to make leather wallets a felonious offense?

I always thought it WAS a leather wallet, but assumed a fake. In actuality the prop might also have been vinyl or have vinyl surfaces - or be part fabric.

Just another guess. Myself - I would prefer a [i]Skin-job special[/i]. - R13

To your question - I ran across several wallets that had flaps with snaps to hold them securely closed, although I rather doubt this one would.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: REAL OR REPLICANT Reply with quote

Replicant 13 wrote:

To your question - I ran across several wallets that had flaps with snaps to hold them securely closed, although I rather doubt this one would.

But there is clearly one or something like it in the picture. There is the possibility that this wallet was custom made, the pictures of the interior would suggest this also.
It may have had a more prominent role at some stage. Just speculating.

The wallet and the contradictions around it has always fascinated me for all the exact reasons you stated above. Its a major part of the dialog at the end of the day.
But as Ander`s has raised, what about the belt, holster etc and he`s absolutely right. I can only think of some retrospective law allowing animal products made before a certain date etc.

The thing is the same situation has been repeated in the new movie.
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Dave Smile

I don't think the prop wallet itself was synthetic, but I think it was supposed to be in the story. Ditto the holster, which we know was leather in the real world.

Personally I'm not convinced the prop wallet was brown. I'm thinking black.

I don't think the wallet was custom made, I think it was a found item, adapted. If it was custom made, the ID badge would fit the window pocket on the left....

I'm also not convinced that the trapezoid shapes are stamp pockets. The oulines of the shape are too sharp. I'm still going with plant-ons glued to the surface.

As for the press stud? I agree there seems to be something there in that shot, but I can't see any real world reason why you would have a press stud there. It would only hold those two parts closed, leaving the third flapping.

There would have been at least two wallets on set. They may have had slight differences.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: BARKING UP THE WRONG PHYLLUM? Reply with quote

Skin-job -

For better or worse, the film itself has always been dark, disguising detail and color. At this point, we are all just guessing.

In my search over the weekend, I found a much lighter image of Deckard holding an obviously brown wallet. I realize this also could be in error. I rather doubt it was altered - seemed a straight screen-cap (but the overall color does appear skewed to the red side).

But look closely at the outer flat surface: the puckered corners and the wrinkling. Is that fabric?

As to any greater detail, better reference may yet be out there . . .

There is a new 4K version to freeze-frame. Anyone? - R13
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Clearly we don't agree, and that's fine.
I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong.

It may well be fabric, but I don't think so. Just an opinion Smile

One thing that is a certainty though is that, based on my 26 years experience in the film industry, you cannot tell what colour anything started out by looking at a screencap.
Every frame of the film is graded for exposure, colour and contrast. You can't tell original colour by looking at a graded image.

Promotional stills, behind the scenes pictures, lobby cards, yes. Screencaps, no.

Is the wallet 'obviously brown'?

I don't know.

K
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here's my two cents: wallet is imitation leather (Police Dept. is issuing one wallet/holster/gun per Rep-Detect) so, no real animal leather being used (besides, they don't have the budget Very Happy )!

It's a three folder for sure, even seeing the last pic, you can see that one of the fold on top of the other.

Color: as Skin-Job said: impossible to get from a screencap.
I'll say dark brown to make everyone happy Wink
Talyn
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Webber wrote:
Talyn wrote:

I agree on the damp possibility, Either way, its not shiny if it is leather, it has been sanded or roughed out to appear flat.
Talyn
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does everyone think about the size? Do we know for sure the ID card is a standard credit card size? If so, this wallet is taller than a standard wallet.

Also...SO CLOSE

Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: HMMMM . . . Reply with quote

Talyn -

I think you may be on to something. To Mr. Webber's inquiry earlier, just suppose that button he noted is in fact the zipper tab, pulled to the chance position shown in the reference pic (?)

In the past, I have had two or three of those same style nylon or polyester wallets (one was all black, the other gray with black trim). They varied in size, so whether the card is too small, or the wallet is too big, I think it exists (or did). As did mine, it had the mesh, zippered pocket at the right. Perhaps that is what is being confused as a window. A card could be inserted beneath that and something else that's reflective could be showing through the mesh (coins?)

The only variance I notice is that the center diagonal in Deckard's appears to be at a more extreme angle creating a much shallower pocket (and so, a bit impractical).

- R13
Talyn
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that still makes me lean toward leather though is this layered flap cutout. Seems like the type of cutout that makes it easier to fold. And you wouldnt see an unseamed cutout like that on a nylon wallet. It can be seen in both of these shots.

Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: 50/50 Reply with quote

Until the wallet actually surfaces we may never know. Looking at this photo, that "clip" does not now appear to be the zipper I thought it might be . . .

Back to square one. Sad - R13
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: