FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blade Runner Prequel/Sequel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
technocoy
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez. The hateraid is strong up in here.

I saw it. Still unpacking it. Overall it at least deserves an oscar for art drection and cinematography. It was pure art as a visual piece.

I loved the subtle themes with K, Joi, the Niander bounty hunter, etc.

Some nice stuff here... the almost love and odd interactions with the "Pris" character + Joi, etc.

Just a lot more here that I'm sure will keep coming on multiple viewings. The score and visuals though were awesome.

I didn't believe there was any way possible they'd pull of anything remotely decent to BR fans, but this really did play well for me.
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, c'mon fellas. Keep it civil and grown-up.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus7 wrote:
hirohawa wrote:
Nexus7 wrote:
hirohawa wrote:
Nexus7 wrote:
hirohawa wrote:
Disaster at US box office for opening weekend. Not only where the numbers low but attendance fell off precipitously From Friday to Sunday. Not off to a good start.

It did almost exactly what they were expecting in Europe. It hasn't opened yet in Japan, China, or South Korea.

Overseas take is much smaller slice of the pie than in US. Plus there are three production entities that financed and distributed this making the take even smaller for Alcon that did all the heavy lifting. No silver lining here.

For you, there never is. Laughing

Actually there is a silver lining for me. A boring, lackluster movie with a weak villain is not getting rewarded at the Box office.

Really??? You didn't like the film? We had no idea.

Will make it clearer for you next time.

So no more defending the bad box office though right? You're not going to pretend that it is doing well again are you in a few posts? Because that has nothing to do with anyone's opinion of the film. Claiming overseas numbers will soften the financial blow and then getting snarky when it is brought to light that it is incorrect is pretty lame.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, civil I respect your opinion, we agree to disagree and that's the end of that. Now, if others want to take it to another level, there's the Pit for you Rolling Eyes
Silverside
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be in the minority but I could care less about a film's critical acclaim or financial success. Those things are for other people. It's made, done and out. The only thing that's important to me is whether I liked it or not.

And I did.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been avoiding posting my thoughts for a while. Needed to consider the film a bit before posting.

Didn't hate it. Didn't love it. Didn't care for how they resolved Deckard and Rachel's story from the first film at all.

I have a lot of issues with the story, the ideas, and some of the characters. My biggest issue is with the way they forced Deckard, his daughter, and Rachel's death into a storyline about an oddball replicant cop in love with a hologram.

I like the idea that Deckard and Rachel are Tyrell's adam & eve. That was never explicitely stated, but that is clearly what the writers were after.

I don't like the idea that Deckard would give up his kid for any reason, let alone to some shifty replicant underground, and then just disappear into an abandoned Vegas for 30 years. It doesn't sit right for me.

My favorite sequence was the drone footage of the desolate Syd Mead designed Vegas. I could sit and watch a few hours of this landscape. It was amazing.

I was hesitant about a snowy LA, but ultimately I liked those sequences in the film. I don't like Gosling as an actor, but I liked K as a character. Part of me wishes a different actor has been cast though.

Sapper Morton was great. Who knew Bautista could play quiet. Not every actor can do that, but man, I thought we lost one of the best replicant character ever way too soon.

The entire replicant underground narrative, was IMHO a big fail. They just used that as a plot device to explain away things that happened with Deckard, Rachel, and thier child. I didn't care for it.

The props. Still don't love the guns. I don't think any of the props in this film will be sought after 35 years from now. And I know that's not something tangible. Nobody could have predicted that 35 years after Blade Runner people would be plunking down over a grand for Deckard's pistol. So hey, who knows.
Talyn
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think longtime fans would at least appreciate the opening farm scene, taken directly from the first draft of Dangerous Days with the kitchen fight, boiling pot and all.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland- Love what you wrote. Agree on most points and have been left with the same feeling.

Especially these two points:

Noeland wrote:

Didn't hate it. Didn't love it. Didn't care for how they resolved Deckard and Rachel's story from the first film at all.

I don't like the idea that Deckard would give up his kid for any reason, let alone to some shifty replicant underground, and then just disappear into an abandoned Vegas for 30 years. It doesn't sit right for me.

Doing a sequel decades after original always creates this dilemma - unimaginative solutions and clunky exposition as to what the character has been up to is almost never satisfying. To me Ford is 0-3 in his senior re-boot tour. I dread the upcoming Indiana Jones, Witness 2, and Still Regarding Henry sequels.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that to understand fully the movie, you should see those 3 shorts that were made for YouTube. They explain some of the reasoning behind some decisions/events that took place before 2049.

I think Deckard left his child for the reason that him, attached and seen with her would be too risky (for him and her) to be caught by either Tyrell or Wallace. To leave her with the "underground Reps" was the only "logical" solution for him. Maybe not the best strategy for others here on the board (understandably, it would be very difficult to leave/abandon your child).
But people make decisions that are not always logical...that's what makes us...human Wink

At least, at the end, there's the reunion between Father and child...I can see a sequel to that, or the contrary: a film explaining the events of 2020.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen all the short films. I enjoyed them quite a bit, especially the anime. I'd love to see a feature length version of that anime.

They didn't help explain how the two leads from the first film got involved with this underground, or why Deckard would give up his child to them. I get the whole "we were being hunted" thing, but they are ALL being hunted. How does leaving the child with them so that Ana can be placed in rusty tetanusville equal a grand plan? That joint was hardly safe.

It's thin.
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:
I've seen all the short films. I enjoyed them quite a bit, especially the anime. I'd love to see a feature length version of that anime.

They didn't help explain how the two leads from the first film got involved with this underground, or why Deckard would give up his child to them. I get the whole "we were being hunted" thing, but they are ALL being hunted. How does leaving the child with them so that Ana can be placed in rusty tetanusville equal a grand plan? That joint was hardly safe.

It's thin.

The 3rd one was easily the best.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of like the first film, 2049 was a relatively small story on an epic set. I think it is part of the film noir narrative that there are tons of small stories, small people in the big city, each with stories that make up a bigger picture. I liked this film for that, it makes me want more. Film noir comes from the pulp serial tradition. After Blade Runner came out so many directors were not only influenced by it, but they obviously wanted to add to that story. We all craved more BR back then. Only the more recent sequel let downs from Lucas primarily, did we begin to fear the idea of sequels. I remember being a planet of the apes fan, and still loving many of the lesser sequels back in the day. Of course I was a kid, but they never ruined the original film for me. Personally I could go for an anthology type series on BR, and maybe that is what we will be getting with the Electric Dreams series. I love this universe, and I am willing to accept 2049 as part of it, I just miss the texture and layers and lighting from the first. I also miss Rutger Hauer. The new film is modernized and minimalistic, but it works as just another piece to the puzzle for me.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Andy; in terms of looks, it's very minimalistic and brutal. The environment doesn't help either. The grey palette is omnipresent (even in K.'s apt.)
We're far from the gold/bluish glows of Deck's apt. and his hoarding kind of eclectic collection of objects and things he has accumulated along the years.
Even J.F.Sebastian is also, to a certain extend, a hoarder (automatons of course, but also other things).

So going from a very layered look to a minimalistic one has shocked many!
Going from everything to almost nothing can be hard to accept...and I get it, you always wish that you'll see the same kind of images/sets/looks in the 2049 but it's not the same year and many things have changed in the mean time.

The first movie has many holes (story wise), but that was due to many re-write and versions and...now, to try to explain everything in a logical manner is very difficult. For some, putting Deck's/Rachael's daughter with this band of misfits in that kind of environment doesn't make sense; while others are o.k. with it.

Depends on your view of being a parent and your responsibilities toward your child (in those exact circumstances!). What would you have done?
You can only imagine, that's all. You'll have to accept the story as it's lay down for us to see...not to judge starting from your own context/position and life in general Wink
rickhoward
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed it for what it was - with no spoilage of the original for me - and thought it was well put together. Sadly, there is no going back back to the 1980s version of LA in 2049. I chalk the lighter texture to someone finding a solution to the kipple problem...

andy wrote:
Kind of like the first film, 2049 was a relatively small story on an epic set. I think it is part of the film noir narrative that there are tons of small stories, small people in the big city, each with stories that make up a bigger picture. I liked this film for that, it makes me want more. Film noir comes from the pulp serial tradition. After Blade Runner came out so many directors were not only influenced by it, but they obviously wanted to add to that story. We all craved more BR back then. Only the more recent sequel let downs from Lucas primarily, did we begin to fear the idea of sequels. I remember being a planet of the apes fan, and still loving many of the lesser sequels back in the day. Of course I was a kid, but they never ruined the original film for me. Personally I could go for an anthology type series on BR, and maybe that is what we will be getting with the Electric Dreams series. I love this universe, and I am willing to accept 2049 as part of it, I just miss the texture and layers and lighting from the first. I also miss Rutger Hauer. The new film is modernized and minimalistic, but it works as just another piece to the puzzle for me.

Andy
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rotten Tomatoes is an aggregator. They don't do their own reviews.

Alright, but who decides which reviews get published? Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: