FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Original 1982 Blade Runner 3D Theatre Lobby Display

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavlar 440-6

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Original 1982 Blade Runner 3D Theatre Lobby Display Reply with quote

Hi guys I'm new to the forum but thought this would be a good place to start as I have what I think is a fairly unique original 1982 Blade Runner item I'm considering selling, here's the info on the item with a couple of pics.

This is an original 1982 Blade Runner UK Theatre Lobby Display 58" x 36.5" Only one know with the 3D polystyrene effect. This is a totally original 1982 Movie Theatre Lobby Display piece used in British cinemas.

I have never seen another in the 3D effect and have never seen one for sale before to my knowledge. There is a flat card version on eBay currently but this is in my opinion the ultimate and rarest available.

Made of thick cardboard mounted onto a two stage polystyrene backing for the 3D effect. It features the same famous artwork that is on the one sheet movie poster.

It does show some very minor wear with a couple of light marks from where it was displayed originally at the cinema in the UK but that is it so it has patina!

It's currently resting in a black wooden frame which just acts as protection to the item and is easily removed.

http://propsummit.com/upload/3134/br_1.jpg

http://propsummit.com/upload/3134/br2.jpg

http://propsummit.com/upload/3134/br3.jpg

Let me know what you think and I will be happy to answer any questions or provide more pictures.

Cheers

Gavin.
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome @Gavlar 440-6 and you've made a stunning entrance!

My friend and deeply missed John Alvin's wonderful lobby poster in a form not seen since going to the movie way back.

Thank you for sharing and for the reminder..

Regards,

MARK

Artificial Owl
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, great poster!

One question, as I don't think I've seen this before, why was "Warner Home Video" featured on a poster for a cinematic release?
Gavlar 440-6

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artificial Owl wrote:
Hi, great poster!

One question, as I don't think I've seen this before, why was "Warner Home Video" featured on a poster for a cinematic release?

I'm probably not qualified to answer that in all honesty, I'm sure someone here can though.

My initial thought was that it was a multi purpose piece and this section may have been covered if used for cinema marketing purposes, I'm not sure.
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty stunning and it's the first time that I've ever seen it.

Thanks for sharing!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS that, probably, one of a kind "poster" with us mate Cool
First time I see this kind of poster...ever!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poster is for the Video release. They used different artwork in the UK for the cinematic release, and this shares the VHS/beta artwork. Not sure if it is a custom display made from the poster or not, but could be made to order and part of the actual promotion as well. You would have to look to see if the layers underneath are the same as the poster. Regardless, it is not a common poster to begin with, because video release posters tend to be tossed at an even higher rate back in the day, and have their own following often because of variant artwork. If the legal mumbo jumbo and copyright info is visible, it is probably a legit promo piece made by Warner Bros. for the video release. Maybe only made for larger stores too. I will do some research on it, because I am very curious.

*from looking closely on it it has a pos # so it was printed as a poster/posters, and then made into the display. Still could have been done in shop by WB, and probably was.

Andy
Gavlar 440-6

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, that probably makes sense as I also had a Clint Eastwood Firefox done in exactly the same way with polystyrene which was cut and mounted, another Warner Bros production I believe.

There are no layers underneath each section, each part is cut out of what looks to be screen printed thick card/board and individually mounted on the polystyrene so it looks like this may well be an original Warner Bros commissioned item.

Let me know if you would like to see any more close up photos.

Regards

Gavin.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked through my archives and haven’t found the exact poster it was made from, but it matches the vhs and beta boxes from the time. I found a poster from that period with the main image reversed. All in all a rare item.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, rare for sure
Gavlar 440-6

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, very interesting feedback for something that I've taken pretty much for granted.

As I mentioned originally, I'm proposing to sell the display board as I feel it would be better suited to a collector who would truly appreciate its worth and not just be stuck out of the way in a spare room.

Any pointers on where this sort of item is best advertised and any clues as to its worth?

Thanks again,

Gavin.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to contact Heratage Auctions. They look for rare movie pasties for listed auctions. It would be your best bet to get top dollar. The only ways to get an idea on value is to look for completed auctions. If this is truly rare, that would make it difficult if one like it hasn’t sold in a while. Another factor for value of these things is actually the most important. People collect these posters for their art work more than anything, so the better and more interesting the art the better. This suffers a little in that regard because it is the standard common art, and has way too much text. HA.com should help you with at least giving a better idea of its authenticity and scarcity. The true value though is always objective and would depend what someone is willing to pay for it.

Good luck,

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: