FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Making an Aluminium Grip Frame
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Making an Aluminium Grip Frame Reply with quote

Hello All

So, I have my firing blaster and the sidkit grips. I always knew they were a tad small but the colour was pretty good.

Then I get hold of a pair of the Tomenosuke grips! These are clearly the correct size and in the photo I have laid them over my fitted sidkit grips.

My problem now is that I need a new grip frame and butt plate and I am not sure how to achieve this. Another member very kindly offered some templates and advised me to buy some 1/2" thick aluminium and cut it out from that.

I could really do with any advice or helpful info on this one. Do we know that the original was indeed 1/2" thick? Has anyone else attempted making a grip frame and butt plate from scratch? How do I cut out the inner profile to fit around the bulldog frame? So many questions!!!

Any feedback much appreciated. Very Happy
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to add, but following closely as I am in the same boat!

I have to go a bit more custom though because the Charter Arms I am using has been de-commissioned via sawing the grip frame off, so I need to get creative with that area of the blaster.
veektohr
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could cut it out via the template on a band saw, and do final fitting with a belt sander & rotary tool. That's how I was planning on making mine until recently.

Based on the dimensions of the grips I have, I think 1/2 inch is pretty spot on. On the restoration photos you can see a rough finish like they'd been faced with a sanding belt, so perhaps the true dimension is slightly less.

I've got some stuff in the works, but I'm currently moving/starting a new job. I hope to have some updates soon! Your blaster is gorgeous Smile
hauptmann
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,
I started on an aluminum grip fram for a Coyle kit I had for a while. I ended up selling the kit, but though I didn't complete the grip frame, I learned enough in starting it to offer a small bit of advice.

1/2" plate is the right thickness. It's easy enough to trace out the frame and the bulldog grip frame cavity then bandsaw the rough shape. As long as you have a band saw. Use a thin blade, like 1/8" wide so you can make the tight turns in the shape. A small contact wheel on a belt grinder would be best for profiling the outer shape, but there are other methods too.

Here's what I came up with:

The tricky bit is creating the blind slot for the hammer clearance at the top of the frame. I don't remember exactly how I did it, but vaguely remember using the edge of a grinding wheel or might have possibly used the band saw making repeated cuts. I milling machine would work best, if you have one in your back pocket....

Good luck!
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thank you both so much for the invaluable info!

Love the photos, hauptmann. Really useful but quite frightening at the same time! Makes me realise what a huge job this is going to be. Shocked

Ogrotesque1 has been the star who has offered the templates and I have asked him to trace around the grip frame and butt plate with measurements written down in mm as well, so that I can print them off in exactly the same size. This seems like the best idea. At least then I have something to cut around. I know what you mean about the inner part of the frame and the hammer clearance. Possibly the toughest part.

As soon as I have the templates, I will have a go and keep you posted here with some pictures. Laughing

Thank you again all and if anyone else has some more info, observations or advice, I would love to hear it.
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a few thoughts.

veektohr - you referred to a rough finish in the restoration photos, like they'd been faced with a sanding belt. Do you mean the diagonal lines on the face of the grip frame as in the photo?

hauptmann - I see the same lines on your grips only at a different angle. Was this finish the result of a sanding belt?

Also, while I am asking, does anyone else see a screw receptor inserted into the gips (circled in red) rather than just a screw thread tapped? I am wondering if the aluminium is too soft to hold the screw for the Amber grips on its own.
veektohr
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that grain has always looked like the finish left by low-grit sand paper to me.
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thank you for that clarification. Looking at the finish again that makes sense.
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

OK, well I have the Aluminium company lined up to make the cut from the templates. I also have found someone who can drill and tap. However, I need a new Bulldog Grip Frame & Trigger Guard and Numrich (https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/322860) have decided to stop shipping to the UK! Evil or Very Mad

Is there anyone out there who has one of these or can buy and send me one please? I really need some simple but crucial assistance!
BR12819
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeckB26354 wrote:
Hi All

OK, well I have the Aluminium company lined up to make the cut from the templates. I also have found someone who can drill and tap. However, I need a new Bulldog Grip Frame & Trigger Guard and Numrich (https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/322860) have decided to stop shipping to the UK! Evil or Very Mad

Is there anyone out there who has one of these or can buy and send me one please? I really need some simple but crucial assistance!

PM sent!

DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

OK, so I have measured the Bulldog frame and it is 13mm wide exactly. See picture below. So, 1/2" thick aluminium is correct at 12.7mm this would account for the very tiny gap you can see in the PIH sale photos between the grips and the grip frame. The gap we see is the .3mm shortfall.

My question is this: Do we know if the screws in the base of the Hero butt plate go through to the bulldog frame? My present grip frame has a screw that goes through to the bulldog and is hidden by the hollow butt plate. However, with a 1/2" solid butt plate on the Hero, that cant be what they did. If there isn't one the grip frame would simply be held in place by the other two screws, inside and out and I am dubious that this would be strong enough. OPINIONS PLEASE!

[/img]

Last edited by DeckB26354 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I think I have just answered my own question. Rolling Eyes

There's no way they could as they would never line up to it, however long the screws were!

DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

A HUGE thank you to BR12819! With his help the new Bulldog frame is on its way.

I have concluded that only the two screws hold the Hero aluminium grip frame in place. Unless, anyone has any contrary ideas....

The last piece of the puzzle are the screws. All 8 of them. The 4 on the frame and the 4 on the two grips.

Has anyone got a definitive answer on size?

I know they all vary in length and that inside grip frame screw must be the longest to get all the way through the thickest part of the grip frame.

Mine are all 1.5mm diameter on the thread and all socket head.

I think I got these from Richard Coyle many years ago. I need to find the correct ones and be able to cut them to the requires length. I shall also need the taps to go with them.

Can anyone share info and assist on this one please? Very Happy
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich is coming to my rescue on screws and taps; a real gentlemen. Very Happy
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Has anyone heard from Rich recently? I have not heard back from him since 3rd January when he said he "had a few health problems." He isn't responding to emails and I am a little concerned........ Confused
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich was banned from the board. Since I'm not a Mod, Andy or Amish will be the ones who you could contact as to why exactly (I think it's a bunch of problems, if I'm not mistaken) he was banned.
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joberg, I didn't know that.

I'll wait to see if Andy or Amish respond to this post with any additional contact info.
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

OK, well my project has unfortunately come to a halt. I have a Bulldog frame ready to fit and a beautiful, custom made aluminium grip frame and butt plate which cost me a small fortune!

However, Rich Coyle has dissapeared along with him assistance on the screws and taps. Without these, I can do nothing.

If there is anyone out there who can help me or point me in the right direction for the following I would really appreciate it:

1. 3 x 4/40 taps
2. 1 x Tap Handle
3. 3 x sets of 4/40 socket head screws (some long to cut down)
4. 3 x #42/43 drill bits
hauptmann
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should probably try McMaster Carr. They have darned near everything.

If not successful there, look to an industrial tool/hardware company. We have a place here in San Diego called Marshall's Industrial Hardware, and they have all that stuff. Easy peasy. They likely have a website but I've never visited it.

Good luck.

PS- you posed a question earlier about the lines in my alum grip frame and I never answered it. Sorry. ........yes the lines were from grinding on a belt grinder with a coarse grit belt, likely 40g.
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you hauptmann that is a great help. I have already found the 4/40 taps on their website.

Thank you also for the answer on the lines. I thought so, biut it's always good to have it confirmed by someone else.

Many thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: