FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
BR Final Cut _ I saw it!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree...if Rachael hadn't told me about it I would have thought they had just clipped in an alternate shot scene...there's even a little half smile on Deckard's (Fords Son's) lips when Hassan fesses up!

I was a little upset by Fords lack of appearence at the premier as well, though I was told he's in the middle of shooting another flick.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just another flick, Indiana Jones 4
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certain he was tied in knots about not being able to be there...I don't know a single actor that doesn't invest himself/herself at least a little in his/her work or take a revival of past works as a tremendous compliment.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is attending the Jules Verne Addventure film festival special event with Ridley Scott supposedly.

http://www.julesvernefestival.com/

http://www.julesvernefestival.com/spip.php?article132&lang=fr

Of course now it only says "cast and film makers"
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my b-day on Monday, so tomorrow Richie and I are taking a train trip up to Santa Barbara. We're going to meet our friend Chad and we're going to take in the 2pm showing of Blade Runner. Yes, I'm going up all the way to Santa Barbara and one of the events on the schedule is seeing BR:FC yet again.

Yeah, I know I can still see it at The Landmark and it wouldn't entail a train ride. But that's the whole point. Train trip. To Santa Barbara. Maxin' and relaxin' with the Pacific Ocean as entertainment. It's a kewl trip. And the last time we saw Chad it was at the Little Tokyo Anime Fest in August. Good friends. Great destination. Good times. Compare this to West LA and you see my point.

Will let you know how it all went.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be patient with me on the size of this...
It is with GREAT disapointment that I confess to having NO pictures from attending the opening of the FINAL CUT in Oregon.
Here then is the article that was posted in Oregon right before it opened...
jessejericho
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Final Cut is fantastic, just saw it tonight in Toronto. Personally, I found the change to "Father" to be a really interesting one... it makes for a more solid connection between Roy and Tyrell, and makes his murder that much more dramatic and emotional.

Can't wait for my Blu-Ray briefcase to arrive Very Happy
Kgaijin
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw it in digital at a theatre near Atlanta. I thank my wife for not giving me too much crap about wearing my Abbyshot Deckard trench (it's my standard coat now anyway). My first time seeing a digitally projected film and my favorite one at that. Simply stunning.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it just now. It's like watching a different movie on the bigscreen. Really nice, clean transfere and the detail in the opening scene and tyrel building is simply stunning! You can't beat real miniatures Cool
Prefect42
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got to see the new cut last night at Warner Brothers. That was something because the entrance / exit to the theatre let us out on the street where Zhora tries to hide in the subway tunnel.

The film looked fantastic. I can't wait to get the full box set and watch all versions. But I must say, all of my fears about overdoing the special effects were put to rest.

There was a Q&A afterwards with DVD Producer Charles de Lauzirika and Restoration Consultant Kurt Galvao. de Lauzirika said that there were 94 new effects shots in the film but they tried very hard to keep the original tone fo the film. He was shocked to see how jarring it was to watch Star Wars with the MASSIVE difference in quality between the original footage and the new shots. He felt it pulled him out of the experience. So they tried very hard to keep all changes subtle.

In fact, he said it was tempting to keep the new Zhora footage pristine and in focus. But again, they toned all new shots to match the feel, warts and all, to the original film.

Thanks to everyone who wrote reviews for the rest of us. I'd just like to add this new cut is spectacular. Well worth all of the wait.

They didn't fix all of the "mistakes" but de Lauzirika pointed out they were only going after the more obvious ones. And I must say, the film really flows much better now.

I did get a kick out of the multi-level freeway shots that had been planned early in the special effects shots but were dropped due to budget restrictions. Very subtle but I liked seeing them.

Have a better one.

Ted.
Prefect42.

Buckaroo Banzai
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prefect42 wrote:
I finally got to see the new cut last night at Warner Brothers. That was something because the entrance / exit to the theatre let us out on the street where Zhora tries to hide in the subway tunnel..

You lucky bastard! And the theatre is right off of New York Street? BITCHEN.

Sounds like this was one excellent event...how did you manage? If this was an ASIFA-Hollywood event I'm going to scream because I'm a member, and I knew nothing about this.

I still want them to show it at the Million Dollar Theatre Downtown. It would absolutely rock to see it at a theatre that gets screen time in the actual movie. Then after the movie I'd go to the Grand Central Market for some fresh juice and Chow Mein. I don't trust the sushi booth though, so I'll take the noodles and forget the "four pieces, two, two..." The Grand Central Market was indeed one of the inspirations for the Ridleyville set, btw...
Prefect42
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MsGeek,

I dear friend is an employee at Warner. It was employee's and guests only. That isn't supposed to sound snooty!

It was a blast. We'd walked the back lot before and I recognized the street. Actually walked down the subway stairs. They bottom out and there is nowhere to go. Which is probably why Zhora stayed part way down there.

It was indeed a special evening. Some lucky bugger won the deluxe 5 DVD set. I couldn't find him afterwards to see the goodies up close. But all in all, a stellar evening.

Now to wait for the 18th.

Ted.
Prefect42.

Buckaroo Banzai
IGNITERS
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: just saw it in Edmonton Alberta Canada Reply with quote

So I have to admit I could've ran run to the theatre here to see it the second I heard it was playing ( no ads in any local papers...)word of mouth only it seems.....but I waited a couple of days IT WAS WORTH IT !
The anticipation was killing me lol ...some scenes I understand were different from the Canadian/ U S release originally like the thumbs in the eye scene and all that I guess they cersorship board felt we could handle it lol ....alot of films have scenes here that are edited out of US films ...huhm...Anyway
Gotta be even better everytime I see it ! Is it the only film to be released 3 times? I have to admit I enjoy the voice over as well but the DC version seems more haunting and less pistol whipping noir .
Gotta ask, the scene before he goes to taffys place with the street does look new is it ? I have not watched any copies I have in anticipation of the re release....and still want to wait for the new one at home before I compare...
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning!

One word - "Audio".

SO much better in 5.1!
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting and odd...

I just kind of watched the FC finally. Yes "Kind of" because it was with commentary by the effects guys and not the sound track. It seems that from your description, the theatrical FC was different from the DVD version!

Some things were not changed from the extended edition (EE).

Some new things were obvious:

-The whole movie looks crisper and lighter.

-The Spinner air traffic dialog is louder and has more voices.

-Rachel does not say "Deckard" in the elevator before he draws his gun.

-Deckard watches Zhora's act much longer.

-The length of the Zhora shooting scene and chase seems shorter. The CGI changes are subtle but are visible.

- The unicorn. It is not only there, but it is now BLUE! Deckard is also no longer dreaming! His eyes are wide open.

-The Spinner cables are finally gone.

-The error in the Leon dialog is unchanged.

-The Tyrell death scene is the same as the EE, except that Batty is slightly more humanized by the addition of his apology to Sebastian.

-The Batty dove scene looks nice, but the smoke stacks look awkward and at the wrong angle.

-The dedication to PKD is in the original version. Most people walked out of the theater before the end of the film.

Sadly, scenes that flesh out the film are still missing from the finished version.

The scenes that would add to the film, include:

-Leon hiding in the bathroom while Gaff urinates and Deckard finds the scale! Gaff was not as smart as he thought he was and Deckard not much of a detective! Leon exits the bathroom afterward. The only fragment of the scene that remains in the FC is the match. That's Leon's hand picking up Gaff's "erection man"...not Gaff setting it down!

BTW, for those who don't already know, he was hiding spread-eagle, in a recess in the ceiling. Think "River in Serenity".

-The Hospital scene explains a lot without the voice-over, but helps prove Deckard is [i]not[/i] a Replicant. The scene shows Gaff's position in the department. It also shows Gaff Speaking English and his true opinion of Bryant; calling him an idiot in Japanese.

-The Pris intro. The scene where she is walking through the empty streets to Sebastian's really opens up the landscape and establishes an "outdoor" rather than the cramped "Ridleyville" soundstage feel of most of the film.

-Taffy Lewis has a whole conversation that is cut short. The conversation also helps flesh-out Deckard as investigator.

-The Tyrell Security sequence explains that Tyrell Corp. really does use security and that there was a problem with getting out after Tyrell was killed. It also helps to humanize Batty further when, for the first time, he is in shock over killing. This state of shock over killing Sebastian causes him confusion and when the security computer voice comes on, he is so out of touch, he actually asks: "Mom?".

-The "What are you doing here?" sequence is longer and funny. This would be a nice change of pace in the film.

-The voice-over. Many people hate the voice-over mostly because it is poorly delivered. There is a good version that went unused. The voice-over is needed to explain some things in the film. In an unfamiliar world with bizarre rules, some explanation is required. The VO also helps sell the idea that it is film Noir. Removing it only helps to diminish the concept. Segments of the VO never heard before include why Deckard was staring at the sequined dress in the photo.

-Happy ending. The film has a happy ending no matter how you look at it. Criticizing it for a happy ending won't change that fact. The flying trough the country at the end actually adds a new dimension to the story since this landscape should not exist. In the one of the early versions of the script Deckard blows Rachael's brains out in the snow. (He probably goes straight home afterward.) In addition; The VO in the 1982 version shows that Deckard "gets it". The inclusion of the hospital scene would tie it all together.

One thing I learned from the extra material, though, is the more I learn about the production, the less I like certain people connected with it. I guess there is something to be said for the phrase "too much information".

"He has all this in his head. He is a very sick man!" Joseph Turkel
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: