FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
I just saw Blade Runner for the First time ever...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Studio 49

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: I just saw Blade Runner for the First time ever... Reply with quote

Hey all, I figured I may as well introduce myself.
Yep you read that right, I've never seen Blade Runner... until just a few nights ago Wink

I'd been meaning to which it for a while now but just never had the chance. But then I saw our local cinema was doing a one off screening of the original prior to the release of 2049. So I figured with the sequel coming out and it being a one off screening of the it was no brainer to do it properly and see it on the big screen!

I really enjoyed it, even I will admit I'm still wrapping my head around the final half hour but I have a basic idea of the gist of it haha
The visuals were downright amazing; I'll be sure to see 2049 when I get the chance. I do know it was the final cut that they were screening so from what reading up I did on the different versions it’s the one you want to see first time around Smile

I've always loved Sci-fi, I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan/nerd along with the usual other stuff like Indiana Jones, Thunderbirds, etc. I'm only 20 years old so I obviously wasn't around when the movie came out originally which is why I jumped at being able to see it on the big screen.

And I have to say I'm so glad I did because far out it looked amazing! The effects and lighting were simply stunning. Just further adding to my love of practical effects.

From my love of movies, I started prop and costume making some 5 years ago. It's been mostly Star Wars oriented with scratch building, 3D Modelling, 3D Printing so on and so forth. And now much like most people here I fell in love with Deckards Blade Runner Blaster!

So much so someday I want to 3D Model one and build one out of Aluminium once I get a CNC Machine (which I'm hoping to purchase within the next 6 months).

But for the time being I was able to get one of the Takagi Blade Runner Water Pistols for $40 USD, which I'm going to use as a fun quick conversion project. Main reason I grabbed it was I wanted to get an idea of scale (even though I know it's not 100% accurate in detail or scale) but I figure It'll help me work out if I could pull off an all aluminium scratch build so for 40 bucks it was a worth while purchase Smile

Anyway sorry for the essay of sorts but I figured I may as well introduce myself since I wasn't sure where else to do it and talk about how I ended up here

I look forward to having a read and look around the boards and seeing what I can learn for hopefully some day scratch building an Aluminium Blade Runner Blaster!
Studio 49

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm at it and since I mentioned that I'm a prop maker, I figured I'd may as well post some of the stuff that I've built over the years since some might find it interesting Smile

I also have a Facebook page where I post some of the projects I'm working on as I go: https://www.facebook.com/studio49.create/

The one I'm most proud of is my Return of the Jedi Darth Vader. I built him over the course of 2 years and joined the 501st with. In the year and a half that I've had him finished I've been lucky enough to have volunteered at over 25 events with other members of the 501st Legion and give back to the community with events like Children's Hospital Visits and fundraisers for charities Smile

Next up is my Life size R2-D2, this big fella is still very much a work in progress but he's slowly but surely getting there (building hims is where I got my love for Aluminium props from haha)

On the topic of droids I'll also mention I scratch built the Gatekeeper droid that you see come out of Jabba the Hutt's door in Return of the Jedi, no idea why I made him but it was more just because I felt like it haha
But I figured I'd chuck a pic up since I dig the paint job

cratercritter
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Studio 49 for the information and the pictures. Great stuff indeed. Shocked
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome mate and careful, BR 2019/2049 are addictive Wink in terms of props, costumes, etc...

Did you see the V.O. version of BR? (not the Director's cut then).
The end of the movie is when Deckard finds the Origami Unicorn on the floor (Director's cut).

Great props and costume building you're doing there. Aluminium is certainly an interesting medium to build things with (the soldering is another story altogether, but I'm sure you're aware of those challenges).
FinStaff
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! I must say, those are some outstanding piece of work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: