FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Those NOT seeing 2049.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CessnaDriver
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Those NOT seeing 2049. Reply with quote

How many are we?
hauptmann
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I hadn't.

Well, more accurately....I wish it hadn't been made. Of course since it was made, I had to see it, but I really wish they'd left it alone, with only the original.

Sorry if I've offended anybody.
Centauro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My train of reasoning exactly. I would've liked Blade Runner to remain the sole film without sequels, like a cinematographic totem for the ages. But since they were going to make it anyways, seeing it was for me a must as a die-hard fan. I'm still digesting the film... what I can say is that we all know that down the line. months or years, we'll all end up seeing it on streaming or on cable, etc. So, since the cinematography is indeed beautiful despite anything else, I think it's worth watching on the silver screen if only once. Also, even if you don't like it, I can say the film is not a fully committee-made crowd pleaser.

And then...

(Literature SPOILERS AHEAD HEHE)
--cue sad deep longing Vangelis music--

I've read sequels you wouldn't believe: A mutilated necrophiliac JF Sebastian, a zombie Pris turned into a giant spider... Roy transmigrated into a talking halliburton briefcase... Deckard and Rachael managing a trout farm in Ambalema... all those sequel attempts will be lost, difuminated in the original Blade Runner's shine, like black spots in the sun. Time to rewatch.

Cool
hauptmann
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, you can't "un-see" the sequel.

We didn't need a sequel. We didn't ask for one. Well, at least I didn't. Like I didn't ask for the last 4 (or 5) Star Wars movies. But they came, and it's hard to not see them, because deep down we all want this stuff to "add" to the legacy, but it's nearly impossible to live up to 35 years of analysis, etc, that we've gotton with BR. And "filling in the gaps" and "answering the questions" posed by the original isn't necessarily a good thing. Often the fact that those questions -remain- unanswered is what preserves the mystique of the original concepts.

I just wish that there had been some glimmer of the original in Villeneuve's movie, because I respect him as a filmmaker based on his other work. He's a good director, but no one except 1982's Ridley Scott could have treated the sequel with the same creative sense and sensitivity of the first film. And the Ridley of '82 is long-gone, witness "Robin Hood", "Prometheus", and even "Kingdom of Heaven", all of which I hate for their sheer commercial prostitutionism.

The original isn't perfect, and neither is the sequel, but at least the original was just that....original. It had mood, unique design, and an interesting interaction of characters. Unfortunately, at least for me, the sequel falls flat on basically every one of those points. The cinematography is wonderful, but it's not Ridley's style, which made the original work. It was the look along with the music that made it work, and that simply wasn't present in the sequel.

Oh well...................knew it wouldn't be..........
Richard Baker
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look upon the original Blade Runner like the classic '2001- a Space Odyssey'. Both are works of art which transcend film and both have sequels which attempt to follow up on a story which was fine just as it is.

I have limited income and so the theater will not be seeing me on this one, I will get the BluRay for completeness however.
CessnaDriver
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made my choice and I'll be sticking with it the rest of my life.
I've also accepted most fans are gushing over it, IF I wanted a sequal I'm sure I would have enjoyed it. I have to accept that any discussion of Blade Runner will be including the events in 2049. The first film is forever altered to most fans now, this will be forever. I'm going to miss the pure discussions of a single film, it diminishes the online community experience for me just as JJ Trek muddied the waters for me as well.
I've sort of quietly been reading the thoughts on the film here and elsewhere, and after the wow this was great reactions, I fully expected some deep thoughts, and frankly and I don't mean to insult fans of the film, But I'm not seeing the deep discussions the first spawned into the big questions of existence and new ways of thinking on what makes us.. us. Rather those are repeated themes simply revisited again and a lot of visual nuts and bolts talk, easter eggs all the inside baseball talk to be expected.
The only new ground blazed seems to be AI on replicant action.
AI being all the rage right now I don't think it trail blazed anything there.
I will remain attentive however to discussions and see if some untapped vein leads to something compelling, I realize it's early and processing is going on.
jedeyenight
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was livid when I found out about 2049. I can give you emails of 25 people that heard me bitching and complaining how we didn’t need this and it would sully the original.
I didn’t want it.
But I saw it…
And I loved it.
It is beautiful cinema.
It answers some questions, raise others and most importantly leaves some alone.
What is alive, what has a soul? The AI aspect asks this as well as the replicants.
Harrison Ford gave the best performance I have seen in a long, long time.
I love it.
As much as the original in all of the 442 versions and formats I own it in? No.
But it’s close.

My 2 cents.
Artificial Owl
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed it. It's not the film I would have made if it was up to me, but that's neither here nor there. It grew on me a little more every time I watched it.

After seeing what Star Wars has become over the past 3 years, I think Blade Runner fans should consider themselves lucky. Maybe some of us didn't want a sequel, and I can understand that, but at least the one we got has some objective value to it, and actually works as a film.
cratercritter
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No...none of you are offending anyone. It is just a movie.

Making a bigger deal about not watching the sequel
than those who actually saw the movie.

Blade Runner 2049 was OK.....no big deal.
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it. iT'S ok. Not great. No reason to not see it - I don't think it pollutes the original film. But really, it doesn't add much to the story.

Tony
gusw666

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedeyenight wrote:
I was livid when I found out about 2049. I can give you emails of 25 people that heard me bitching and complaining how we didn’t need this and it would sully the original.
I didn’t want it.
But I saw it…
And I loved it.
It is beautiful cinema.
What is alive, what has a soul? The AI aspect asks this as well as the replicants.
I love it.
But it’s close.

My 2 cents.

Agree 500% and I also would like to add, that to me, it was the best movie of 2017....again, a metter of tastes, so not trying to convince anyone, just telling you my point of view.

Gus
shrap
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gusw666 wrote:
jedeyenight wrote:
I didn’t want it.
But I saw it…
And I loved it.
It is beautiful cinema.
I love it.
But it’s close.

My 2 cents.

Agree 500% and I also would like to add, that to me, it was the best movie of 2017....again, a metter of tastes, so not trying to convince anyone, just telling you my point of view.

Gus

x3

I liked 2049 and I know it's a good movie since my wife and kids did not like it. They did not like the original either. So I am on to something.

The ending allows for other sequels / prequels too. I want to go back before 2019.
Metropolis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on Harrison Ford-
He was married for 14 years, had 2 sons, got divorced, then made Raiders Of The Lost Ark and Blade Runner while he was still single. I think his mind was still with his wife. Then he got re-married, then re-re-married, and can't be himself anymore.
The good news is he can afford to get a robot copy of his first wife. Heck, I'm a Pizza Delivery guy, and I 3D printed my ex's head and stuck it on a mannequin with her measurements.
2049 is 10 times darker than BR. There is cruelty.
Gosling and his SONY gf are awesome though

Last edited by Metropolis on Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
eethan
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you really print your ex's head? Shocked
Metropolis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, used facegen.com, with 3 pictures, left, right, and front. Took 32 hours to print. Gonna do the whole thing in silicone with robotics
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedeyenight wrote:
I didn’t want it.
But I saw it…
And I loved it.
It is beautiful cinema.
I love it.
But it’s close.

My 2 cents.

I am on record as having being totally against 2049 and I posted loudly and often on social media about the fact that you simply cannot do a sequel to the Sistine Chapel and in the same way doing a sequel to BR was equally unwelcome.

I went to see it believing I would hate it and I have to admit that on leaving the cinema my sentiments are exactly the same as those expressed by @jedeyenight. in the current world of SW and MARVEL I didn't realise - until I saw 2049 - just how starved of truly good, contemplative SciFi I have been..

Cheers,
MARK

hauptmann
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to revisit this post, having been one of the earliest to express my opinion on it.

Point(s) taken by those who've chimed in subsequently.

/begin rant/

One single thing removed it from the 2019 universe for me, and most people won't even blink at it....

Wallace's "drones". Did he somehow conquer gravity in 30 years, so they could just "hover" miraculously around him with no visible means of suspension??

WTF?

I bring this up because one of the things that really pisses me off about much SF these days is the defiance of gravity. There's too much "anti-grav". I hate it.

2019 was grounded in real physics, with the spinner sounding like it actually had a turbine engine, and the blasters (both Leon's and Deckard's) made pretty believable sounds. It worked.

2049 took liberties with physics and reality. Sorry, it upsets me. Largely because by doing so it places itself within the miasma of all other SF films that "cheat" and take shortcuts just because it's "cool".

/end rant/

Last edited by hauptmann on Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Silverside
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose in thirty years we could have drones which use very, very small convection motors to blow air downward as well as incredibly light materials such as nano-tube/buckyball carbon structures which when combined would allow these little blimps to appear to defy gravity. If I remember it right they do hiss a little, which could be their tiny motors blowing air. It’s so dark in Wallace’s office we can’t tell if the drones have any convection apertures or even porous surfaces for air movement.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hauptmann wrote:
Interesting to revisit this post, having been one of the earliest to express my opinion on it.

Point(s) taken by those who've chimed in subsequently.

/begin rant/

One single thing removed it from the 2019 universe for me, and most people won't even blink at it....

Wallace's "drones". Did he somehow conquer gravity in 30 years, so they could just "hover" miraculously around him with no visible means of suspension??

WTF?

I bring this up because one of the things that really pisses me off about much SF these days is the defiance of gravity. There's too much "anti-grav". I hate it.

2019 was grounded in real physics, with the spinner sounding like it actually had a turbine engine, and the blasters (both Leon's and Deckard's) made pretty believable sounds. It worked.

2049 took liberties with physics and reality. Sorry, it upsets me. Largely because by doing so it places itself within the miasma of all other SF films that "cheat" and take shortcuts just because it's "cool".

/end rant/

Similarly the hologram/Joi character ruined the movie for me. Just felt like wrong tech for Blade Runner.
Metropolis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this song. Is that the prop tree from 2049? There's something burried there https://youtu.be/nCBASt507WA
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: