FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Tom Southwell Q & A
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spikerama
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickhoward wrote:

What you have looks good. I'm assuming it's something along the lines stencilized Akzidenz-Grotesk Pro+ regular extended.

I thought Mr Southwell might have some thoughts since it may have been his design and he was on set.

You're right though. I did end up using Akzidenz Grot Extended and modified it from there. Looks pretty authentic on the chair. Even though chair isn't finished.

I made a little video just to process the progress. If anyone is interested I can share the link.
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the font could be based on Akzidenz-Grotesk Pro+ regular extended. But I don't know enough about fonts to decide.

Here's the font: https://www.bertholdtypes.com/font/akzidenz-grotesk-extended/proplus/

And here's an obsessive essay on the fonts used in BR: https://typesetinthefuture.com/2016/06/19/bladerunner/

Tony
Spikerama
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TM wrote:
I suppose the font could be based on Akzidenz-Grotesk Pro+ regular extended. But I don't know enough about fonts to decide.

Here's the font: https://www.bertholdtypes.com/font/akzidenz-grotesk-extended/proplus/

And here's an obsessive essay on the fonts used in BR: https://typesetinthefuture.com/2016/06/19/bladerunner/

Tony

Thanks Tony for that. Good resource in lieu of official confirmation.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that the fonts on the chair are A-O.K. Spike Keep up the effort!
Spikerama
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:

Thanks JB but seriously I'm losing my mind here. I don't know where I'm going with this VK.

Doing my head in.

Anyway here's a link to a short cut together of atmos during a lighting test. Many things still to go in. Including ashtray. But... it's starting to get those Blade Runner Blues.

PASSOWRD = BR2019

https://vimeo.com/289417213

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can feel it too! Yep, the V.K. is not easy to reproduce, but you are getting there. Thermos is good, VidPhone is almost there...love the partitions and the ceiling fans...maybe a darker blue sky; dusk would be the right look for that scene for sure. Eager to see the next update.
MU-TH-UR
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Southwell wrote:
Spikerama.
First off , a note about a fallen artist/designer from Blade Runner.
Charles William Breen, who did the detailed plans and elevations of Deckards apartment ( based on a work by Frank Lloyd Wright ) passed away this week. A fine man and a wonderful designer, production designer and artist. He will be missed.

The set you are working on is a revamp of the set used for the Rachel VK interview. ( far left window bay )
I always thought the enlarged tile was a faithful enlargement, but I could be wrong.
Yes I was on the set. Many times.
The chair was likely purchased, but again, I cannot be sure. (A few exotic chairs designed by architect C.R.Macintosh and others were built expressly for the film by movie prop makers.)
The graphic was put on the chair the day of the shoot by on staff sign painters at the request of Mr Scott.
The original floor was Masonite spray painted black with a high gloss finish.
There MAY have been a change ( possibly carpet ) for the revamp.
I have a good high angle photo that shows the set and crew. I'll try to find it.

I always thought the big break-away tile was a foam backed piece that was made from a mold. The original tile design was to resemble (to some degree) a tile like the ones Mr Wright created for his "knit block" designs ).
Hollywood often uses this method for replaceable "destroyed" wall units.

The tile I have was made for me in preproduction so I could make graphics from it. It is a "Vacu-form" piece of styrene plastic. This was used as bronze on the big doors of the set, and the freeze at about head height around the entire room.
You likely heard the story that Mr Scott requested all the columns be flipped upside down the morning of the first day.
The columns , then did not match the pilasters (partial columns attached to the wall). You can see the columns in their correct posture later in the film in the street with bicycles whizzing by.
The photos I sent Joberg included a profile view which shows how deep the pyramid is. But it MAY be flatter than the small one.
If you can find Greg Pickerell he may know. That was his set.
He also became a production designer.

I hope this helps in some way.
It's been a long time.

Good luck,
Tom Southwell

Hi Tom,

Glad to see you active again, if only for a moment but sad to hear about Charles. I have also been working on a VR project for awhile based on Deckard's apartment. One thing I was trying to recreate was the service computer in the elevator hall based on the original photos you posted a long time ago. Do you have any other knowledge of how this thing looked? I tried my best to decifer the photos/use Mentor's sketch but feel I am missing a lot of details.

Here is an image of it in light and lit like the film.

Thanks for all that you have given us over the years.

Best,
David

MU-TH-UR
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikerama wrote:
joberg wrote:

Thanks JB but seriously I'm losing my mind here. I don't know where I'm going with this VK.

Doing my head in.

Anyway here's a link to a short cut together of atmos during a lighting test. Many things still to go in. Including ashtray. But... it's starting to get those Blade Runner Blues.

PASSOWRD = BR2019

https://vimeo.com/289417213

Welcome to the club Spike!

Looking good, I went the other way and have been doing the Deckard apartment & a flying Spinner experience:

Spikerama
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MU-TH-UR wrote:

Welcome to the club Spike!

Looking good, I went the other way and have been doing the Deckard apartment & a flying Spinner experience:

Wow that looks really good mate. Can't wait to see inside.

I was going to try the apartment as a mod for Fallout 4 a few years ago. Got halfway through it and then saw Quentin's BR9732 project.
Decided to shelve my version after that. No doubt you've played it. He did a very good job but he's a pro. Still took him 4 years though.
I've only just started learning Unity and Blender so God knows how long it's going to take me.

If you have any tips for a novice, I'm all ears.
Spikerama
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
I can feel it too! Yep, the V.K. is not easy to reproduce, but you are getting there. Thermos is good, VidPhone is almost there...love the partitions and the ceiling fans...maybe a darker blue sky; dusk would be the right look for that scene for sure. Eager to see the next update.

Technically the sky should not be visible but I wanted to see how the spinners looked flying past. Just a guilty pleasure really.

I have a post process script that adds atmosphere now but it weighs heavy on the VR system and not sure how to optimise that yet. Works ok on flat screen.

Looks like this.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike and MU-TH-UR: great rendering for sure Cool We were excited to see Quentin's Deckard's apt. interior (until it was shut down...could be for copyright reason Confused ).

Love the interior Spike; careful with the chair's back: it's straight and not in the shape of a trapeze. Wink
Spikerama
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Spike and MU-TH-UR: great rendering for sure Cool We were excited to see Quentin's Deckard's apt. interior (until it was shut down...could be for copyright reason Confused ).

Love the interior Spike; careful with the chair's back: it's straight and not in the shape of a trapeze. Wink

Yeah messaged him about it. Turned out that ALCON Entertainment had it pulled because they had the rights to a new set of VR experiences
off the back of 2049 and didn't like him cutting their grass. Shame really.

I still have a copy of it.

Anyway chair I will look into. Thanks for that info. Not sure I'm going to make it exactly the same because in full view it seems a bit anachronistic.
I know that sounds weird coming from inside a pyramid but if there's one thing that could do with a slight modernisation it's the chair.

Lets see how we go.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how it seems that chair was actually built: take normal old style swivel desk chair (wood), apply two extra pieces of wood on the sides and cover with vinyl and new lettering: voila! Wink
Spikerama
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Funny how it seems that chair was actually built: take normal old style swivel desk chair (wood), apply two extra pieces of wood on the sides and cover with vinyl and new lettering: voila! Wink

If I was being honest, I'd have to say the chair is the least of my worries at the moment.

I mean, can someone explain to me why all my attempts at the VK end up looking like a pile of poo or a duck?

This is what you get I guess for being an absolute noob.

If this is as good as it gets God help me.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I liked the last 2 rendering of that iconic prop Wink I think those could fit in a 2049 BR Universe.
Also, since that prop has all kind of angles, curves and the likes, it is difficult to render.
Cannot help you with that part of your project... Crying or Very sad
Spikerama
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Actually, I liked the last 2 rendering of that iconic prop Wink I think those could fit in a 2049 BR Universe.

Haha, thanks joberg. I can kind of see what you mean. Though I think 2049 would be more brutal with an updated VK. Sadly doesn't seem much call for them in a world where Nexus 6 is all but extinct. Relic perhaps, of a more golden era?

Anyway, it was a long weekend here so spent the whole time doing the learning I need to break the back of this problem and happy to say I actually got somewhere. I will share some progress with you all soon.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good; eager to see your next update!
Spikerama
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so this is where I've got to so far.

It's a hell of a thing to get your head around.

You really have to spend a lot of time researching and studying the machine and all it's nuances don't you?
And then on top of that for me, I've had to learn how to use 3D modeling software from scratch.

Nightmare.

Anyway it's all started to fall into place and I've gotten a bit better at understanding the software.

Still plenty of work to do and detail pieces to add on but I thought you'd get a kick out of where it's at.

I'm now working on the swing arm and eye which I will show with the next update.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's looking quite beautiful Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Page 22 of 22

Jump to: