FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
How to safely strip paint of the Offworld blaster
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dupli-Color makes a Chrome enamel rattle can paint that's really nice. I've only done one test with it (circa 2005), but it came out great! I only did the one test, and never got around to using it on anything yet. Embarassed Laughing

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/gold-chrome.html

edit - Here's a pic...left is with flash, right is without. No adjustments other than sizing. The only prep work I did was wash it off with soap & water. Did 2 or 3 coats in the suggested time frame and let it dry for a week or two, then I think I shot half of it with a coat of Krylon and left the other half "as is". Sorry, but I don't remember exactly.

svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjedi wrote:
Have you ever used Duplicolor paints? They're available at most car parts stores like Checker or Auto Zone and they give a really nice durable finish. Nice selection of colors, too. You could probably find 4 or 5 different shades of "black."

I was thinking about Duplicolor too. The thing I like about Krylon is that it's supposed to attach to plastic better. Not sure if there's any truth to that. You'd think that if the plastic parts are properly prepped (clean, etc) Duplicolor would work just as well.

superjedi wrote:
Hmm. . . don't think I've ever tried any of their metallics.
I've only used a couple of black shades and a midnight blue which I blended by misting to get a very dark blued gunmetal effect.

That's interesting, do you have any photos of the result by mixing colors?
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the tone is really subtle and it's hard to get a good pic, but here are a couple of my Jayne Cobb pistol from Firefly.
Look at the flat area with the screw above the trigger. Here it looks very dark, almost pure black.

But when the light catches it at a different angle, some of the blue tone shows up.

I painted this gun with Duplicolor #DS100 "Universal Black" then misted with "DSFM294 "Twilight Blue." This was so dark it was almost black anyway. Then I lightly misted some of the black back over it again. Some of the edges received light weathering with Pewter rub-n-buff.
Hope those pics sort of show what I mean.
ChrisNightingale
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just at add my 2-pennies worth, I using Tamiya paints for most of mine and airbrushing them on - I have gone for 2 different shades of grey for the main gun and then a slightly darkened grey with a slight hint of blueing. I used an airbrush to apply them - my first go at it - wasn't too bad - although it drank paint like nobody's business!!!

I just can't decide whether I should apply a layer of DullCote on top - does anyone know if this make a good protective layer - to prevent against scuffs and stuff?

Again, nearly finished mine so will post sometime this weekend.
________
Weed vaporizers

Last edited by ChrisNightingale on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that actually looks like blackwashed metal to me. Awesome work man!
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick notes on dupli-color metallic spray paints:

I've used the dupli-color chrome for a ton of stuff. It looks great until it's handled, and then it fades pretty quickly into a dark gray. If you try and paint clearcoat over it, it turns dark gray and loses it's mettalic sheen and reflectiveness completely.

But if it's something that won't get handled much, or needs to look like weathered chrome, it works great.

I've used it on prop guns, the shotgun chamber of my pulse rifle (looks really nice on there) and lots of smaller items for set dressing because it picks up light really well but doesn't bounce it back like a mirror or a perfect real chrome finish does.

The dupli-color gold I've used on just about all my "steampunk" props, because if you "mist" the metallic gold over flat black it gives a very nice pitted copper/bronze look to the piece.
Ham Salad
Banned!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:
Quick notes on dupli-color metallic spray paints:

I've used the dupli-color chrome for a ton of stuff. It looks great until it's handled, and then it fades pretty quickly into a dark gray. If you try and paint clearcoat over it, it turns dark gray and loses it's mettalic sheen and reflectiveness completely..

Yes, this a problem with lots of enamel-based 'shiny' paints,: they are really pretty worthless because the whole idea of a paint is it shouldn't rub off.

One way I've used that looks pretty good is to use silver autmotive laquer, and then give it a light coat of testors chrome...the testors is soft, but the laquaer is hard and the tesors bonds with the laquer and so it doesn't rub off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: