FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Another Blade Runner find...Sebastian's chess set
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoyle's site is back. So why do we believe these are so inaccurate? I may have missed something while reading some of the earlier posts.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what he posts isn't what you get. It seems to be a kind of bait and switch.
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so what do you exactly receive? Does anyone have info, pics?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Ross might be able to tell you more. Phil S. also ordered some sets. They are more like the Hobby Mold sets, molded in white and black with some patina.

similar to this set without color...

Basicly a cheap imitation. Close, but not correct.
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I got. In the end Hoyle's offered me a full refund, but I opted for a partial refund and kept the pieces. I decided to make the Sebastian Set myself using the set I got as partial reference.

Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doppelganger01 wrote:
This is what I got. In the end Hoyle's offered me a full refund, but I opted for a partial refund and kept the pieces. I decided to make the Sebastian Set myself using the set I got as partial reference.

They aren't too shabby and if you have the skill to make your own modified versions thats cool. I wouldn't worry too much. They've made these sets for years and years (there was one in my school library - not sure if they had the wrens and the plumage - it was a long time ago) so it's another one to watch Ebay UK for.

Of course if someone turns up selling 'JF Sebastians Chess Sets' at a vastly inflated price you also have the power as a consumer to tell them to shove em where the sun don't shine. Cool
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initial research turned up a couple different sets of the mold (moulds for the Brits Wink )...see the two sets from the first page. I think it means the original set is somewhat famous, enough to be copied more than once. I also think it is because of the set itself, and not it's BR relationship, considering they molded the wrong pawns. The set was based on Audubon artwork and may have been originally sculpted by him. This set seems like it could be a nice inexpensive substitute considering the true set is probably worth thousands and long out of production. I do hope that is not totally true and somewhere the real sets molds are existing and being used to make new sets, that we have not found yet.

In my search for these I have got some very strange reactions from those that might have info on them. The seller contact person for Hoyles was talking with me freely until I mentioned this particular set, and then no replies at all afterward. A similar thing happened when I talked to importers of chess sets for local Chess clubs. When I asked specifically about this chess set the previously interested exchange turned in to a hurried brush off. This set has a similar aura to that of the Maltese Falcon (their big brother perhaps). That is why I hoped someone in England would be willing to pick up the ball from me. Maybe it is time to start this thread up again.

Andy
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed 7 companies all who sell chess sets here in the UK. Most of them were long established and, if you believed the blurb, some were 'obsessive' about the game and the myriad boards and pieces available. I mentioned Hoyles, Banbury and the slightly inferior looking designs now being sold, I also asked about the sets history etc.

Here are some replys:

'I'm afraid we're unable to assist you - we have no knowledge of the design origins.
I hope you can find what you are looking for...'

'We don't sell that particular set'

'Have you tried Hoyles? heres a link to their site'

'I'm sorry but I don't have the information you require'

'It was made by Banbury Studios. I think Hoyles own them now. Have you tried Hoyles website?'

Rolling Eyes
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty much the same thing I got. The only other lead I haven't completely tried is the supposed fact that they were based on Audubon art or even sculpted by him.

Thank you for trying,
Andy

By the way precinct, love your avitar Wink
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
That is pretty much the same thing I got. The only other lead I haven't completely tried is the supposed fact that they were based on Audubon art or even sculpted by him.

Thank you for trying,
Andy

Does the wink suggest you know its creator?

I found it on the same site as that 3d rendering of the willow chair Theres also a blank block there and an Argyle Chair and I kinda got to thinking...

Has anybody put together a virtual Decks Apartment?

Back to Sebas Chees Set. If I lived nearer Oxford I would make enquiries about Banbury but its at the opposite end of England.
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had I only known about this a year ago. Oxford was one of the stops on our whirwind tour of southeast England last summer.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

precinct wrote:
andy wrote:

Does the wink suggest you know its creator?

I found it on the same site as that 3d rendering of the willow chair Theres also a blank block there and an Argyle Chair and I kinda got to thinking...

Has anybody put together a virtual Decks Apartment?

Back to Sebas Chees Set. If I lived nearer Oxford I would make enquiries about Banbury but its at the opposite end of England.

No I don't know who did it, nor do I know who did mine. I just felt like kindred spirits. Mine was derived from the the now defunct Ennis house website.

I posted a couple of links in the apartment thread about a guy who did a layout derived from the shooting angles and a miniature mock up. A virtual one is a Great Idea. Hmmmmm.
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:

No I don't know who did it, nor do I know who did mine. I just felt like kindred spirits. Mine was derived from the the now defunct Ennis house website.

I posted a couple of links in the apartment thread about a guy who did a layout derived from the shooting angles and a miniature mock up. A virtual one is a Great Idea. Hmmmmm.

Ah I see. Yeah I recognised it as a remnant of the defunct EBH site.

PS if you have any suggestions for further research of the Chees Set I'll give em a whirl. I have to remind myself now and then that the WWW isn't the whole world!
phoenixvader
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about these, they appear to be the correct ones.

look for CS 16 BRITISH BIRDS

thomas;)

http://www.artcraftsuk.co.uk/acatalog/CHESS_SET_MOULDS.html
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoenixvader wrote:
How about these, they appear to be the correct ones.

look for CS 16 BRITISH BIRDS

thomas;)

http://www.artcraftsuk.co.uk/acatalog/CHESS_SET_MOULDS.html

The enlarged pic is not what you expect... thus, we cannot be sure if these pieces are the correct ones. Only one method will be valid to say OK or not. Buying them! Cost is not so expensive (IMHO). I was very interested several days ago in this particular set, but... I don't have the abilities to make a kit from this moulds. But... I love this chess set. Any opinion about this set will be apreciated!
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently completed sculpting the "Sebastian Chess Set" for myself. As you can read from my earlier posts in this thread, last year I ordered a set from a company in the U.K. thinking it was film accurate based on the photos they showed on their site. When the set arrived it was not the correct set. It did not match the photo on their site at all (please refer to my previously posted photo). I spoke with the company in the U.K. about the set not matching the photo on their site and was told that the original set did not exist anymore and that they were not able to change the photo. I was offered a full refund if I returned the set, or a partial refund if I kept it.

My attempts to find this set anywhere on the planet always ended in frustration. No one could tell me its history or where it could be purchased. My inquiries always mysteriously dead ended. I swear. It was as if I were asking about the "Book of the Nine Gates". So, I decided to keep the set as a reference for scale, and I proceeded to make my own set.

Over the past year, I studied the screen used set with great intensity until it was burned into my brain. Recently, I finally completed the six pieces in clay and I am currently working on my master patterns. If you bare with me, I will post pictures of my work. I consider them to be as close to the screen used set as I can possibly get. I did have to take some liberties in the details (feathers, talons, etc.), but I am pleased with the results.

During my study of this set, I discovered the many variants that are out there. They all possess similar feature of the original set, but none of them are dead-on accurate. So do be careful when purchasing a set that claims to be film accurate.

Thank you for you time and attention. I will post "in-progress" photos momentarily.

Rick

www.reddragonkipplecompany.com
www.pflagerkatsumata.com
www.ricklross.com
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, please post the pics...
(as you already know I'm a fan - we all are - of your guns re-creations... I can't wait to see what you've done with the birds !!!)

Shocked
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doppelganger01 wrote:
Hi,

I recently completed sculpting the "Sebastian Chess Set" for myself.

Rick

Waiting to see your nice work in my own hands (the blasters you made for me), I'm sure you will do the best Sebastian Chess available. And, no doubt, here is the very first customer if you made it possible!

Regards!
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the finished master patterns.

If anyone can tell me the history of the original, pre-Blade Runner set, I would greatly appreciate it.

Some of the clay sculpts.

www.reddragonkipplecompany.com
www.pflagerkatsumata.com
www.ricklross.com

Last edited by doppelganger01 on Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Damn' Rick!

looking good Wink

As far as the mold sets go, both seem to have some details correct and others wrong, such as bases, plumage and stances. The Hoyle's pics are dead on(except in the movie they only had finch pawns for both sides), but are not what you get. I am tepted to go onto some Chess forums and put up some pics to see what I can fish out on these. Unfortunately the limited computer time has been killing me.

Can't wait to see more of these Rick. Keep it up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: