FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
BH gun project in progress

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ham Salad
Banned!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: BH gun project in progress Reply with quote

Since there is such a HUGE fascination with my hobby projects, I looked around my shop and found my plastic bag.

What I've got here is a stunt gun prop casting I got in the early '90s, some original steyr parts, and an Offworld prop (see labels).

You'll note that the grip frame here is going to have to be discarded, as it was made to hold a particular blank gun which I'm not going to be using now.
I also have a Steyr .223 magazine which isn't shown, probably in the box the bag was in.

What strikes me now is that Rich says the receiver of the offworld is too small, but comparing it to the stunt gun casting they are apparently the same size. So, either Rich is kidding or the stunt gun casting is so many generations off that it got a LOT smaller. Since all rich will say when asked about measurements is "everything is WRONG!!!! WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!", apparantly he can't be expected to be useful.

At this point, what we've got here is a project that was set aside literally YEARS ago, which I'll probably reexamine...I actually have use for the thing now, so I suppose I'll start working on it again. However, presently it's just a set of parts.

Does that get your jollies now? Frankly, this is silly, as it really doesn't look very impressive at this stage.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a tiny photo. Any chance of a bigger one so we can see the castings better?

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a cool build. Looking forward to your progress.
Ham Salad
Banned!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loyalizer wrote:
That is a tiny photo. Any chance of a bigger one so we can see the castings better?

Well, I had to try 3 times before the image hosting here would accept it...

Wait a but, I'll put up another photo when there has been some progress made.

The real question in my mind is, "is the offworld reciever really too small"?
Rich says a lot of things, and frankly it's not useful- because apparantly a lot of what he says is to convince you that there just no way to do this other than to pay an arm and a leg to him. On the other hand, I'm not about to buy and wreck a real steyr just to make a prop out of it.

Isn't there somebody out there who bought one of his metal guns and has an offworld, to see if they are the same size for the receiver?

I was originally thinking of parting out the offworld gun, and reusing some parts to save myself some work. Since the reciever is the most complicated piece, it would save me a lot of machining time and tool wear if I was pretty sure that the offworld part was the correct size. The time and work that would save me would be worth the cost buying the offworld in the first place.

The parts I have here don't look that impressive, but consider that all I have to do here is obtain a new blank gun, mill a new barrel and grip frame and 'jewler's screwdriver', and I'll have an essentially all metal prop that appears to shoot...at a cost of less than $350 (and frankly $200 of that is sheer laziness on my part). If I really want to get fancy I can do a bit of milling on the blank gun so the exposed parts look exactly like the exposed parts of the .44 revolver. It will be pretty accurate, or at least as accurate as the best information I can get.

yes, it can be done.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, all of the stunt castings off of the hero gun that are known in existance are smaller by far than the actual hero. It seems rubber shrinks a lot after being molded. All of the resin casts were made off of those Rubber stunts (or other multigenerational copies of), and therefore are smaller. Almost all of the gun replicas made (i.e early coyles, Most Japanese kits, Universal Amorer, Adam Savage's early resins, etc) untill Rich's C&S models used the stunts as a measurement exept the ones that were all guess work like the Adven, Oz Shop, Rick Ross PKD's and the Marco's. I own two castings that were taken off of stunts myself. They are some of the smallest guns I own. Comparing a first generation Steyr reciever with the stunt casting they are almost a half of an inch different.
Ham Salad
Banned!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
FYI, all of the stunt castings off of the hero gun that are known in existance are smaller by far than the actual hero. It seems rubber shrinks a lot after being molded. .

Good to know, but kinda disheartening.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
They are some of the smallest guns I own. Comparing a first generation Steyr reciever with the stunt casting they are almost a half of an inch different.

Any chance of getting a pic of the stunt side by side with a full size version?

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will take me a while to dig out My props from storage, but here is a photo of an early Coyle replica cast off of a stunt and a Coyle v3 that used the Steyr parts to cast off of. The arent close enough in the pic to see, but I am sure some one with some ingenuity could cut and paste to show the differences.

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland,

Can you please put your post into the proper thread. I split this one and am trying to figure out how to split the other. Your comments are on posts that I moved to the pit. Just copy and paste your post there and delete this one.

Thank you,
Andy
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingenuity? I've got that!

Ham Salad
Banned!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
It will take me a while to dig out My props from storage, but here is a photo of an early Coyle replica cast off of a stunt and a Coyle v3 that used the Steyr parts to cast off of. The arent close enough in the pic to see, but I am sure some one with some ingenuity could cut and paste to show the differences.

I see your point, at first glance they look about the same in their size.
Ham Salad
Banned!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phase pistol wrote:

Thank you for that, it's very helpful.

To my eye, it looks to me that that the RAC version is just a bit (say, 1/4") longer than the casting. If there were serious shrinkage wouldn't that be more noticable? Come to think of it, when I compare MY casting to the offworld, it looked like the OW reciever was just a bit longer than the casting and pretty much the same girth. Of course, from the photo I can't tell how thick the RAC receiver is, but wouldn't a 1/2" be a bit more noticable? The shrinkage should occur proportionally in all dimentions, shouldn't it?

It's clear from the info you guys have kindly provided that my replica is going to be off, because I just don't have the necessary source material and the parts I have are going to be small. At this point, I wondering ' just how off is this going to be?'
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phase pistol wrote:

Wow, sitting opposite in the case, it does look a bit smaller, but when you put them side by side like that you really do see the size difference.

Ham Salad
Banned!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loyalizer wrote:

Wow, sitting opposite in the case, it does look a bit smaller, but when you put them side by side like that you really do see the size difference.

Really, you must have a better eye than me, to me they look about the same.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phase pistol wrote:

Thank you Karl. We can always count on you Smile
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ham Salad wrote:

Ham Salad
Banned!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus6 wrote:
Ham Salad wrote:

Ah, so what you mean is that it's smaller overall, not particulary smaller in the reciever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: