FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
A New Snub Nose Blaster from Goldberg Arms
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
How much time does it take to sand those pieces?

The polymer material is about the same hardness as acrylic and wet sands pretty easily. I'd say that part, which is a little under an inch square, took about an hour to clean up. Progressively wet sanding with 320, 400 and 600 grit paper.

"I just want to say people... Get A Life! Move out of your parent's basement! It's just a movie!"
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Off again Reply with quote

Well, I'm off again on location (my day job) for another 3 or 4 weeks, then it'll be time for Comic-Con so I'm not going to be able to get back to work on the Snubby until the end of July.

"I just want to say people... Get A Life! Move out of your parent's basement! It's just a movie!"
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Dave and have fun on location (if you can Wink )

JULY Shocked Gasp, cough, hack! The wait...the wait
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: More 3D Printed Parts Reply with quote

Here are the rest of the 3D printed parts I've just had shipped to me on location.

The receiver and rear slide:

This is the pattern for the binding post. On the snubby the binding post is smaller than the one on the hero prop. I was going to turn it on the lathe but would have had to deal with a fairly complicated indexing setup to get the knurling, so I decided to have it 3D printed instead. The output is actually half the post, setup on a flat serface with registration dimples. I'll make two molds from the same pattern, which will fit together to form the final mold.

Here's the pattern for the Goldberg Arms logo insert for the grips. 1/2 inch in diameter.

And a dry fit of the parts. Now it's starting to look like somethin'!

Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: More 3D Printed Parts Reply with quote

What an absolutely splendid way to celebrate the anniversary.

Dave mate, this is beautiful beyond belief! Warmest congratulations to you sir..

Highest regards

MARK

nonner242
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need one!

It looks abosolutly STUNNING!
I am so looking foward to see it finished!
LOVE the Tyrell Grips!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just outstanding!

Andy
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous build Dave.

Colin
cratercritter
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this thread for the first time today.

..... Shocked Shocked Shocked

Last edited by cratercritter on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
panaflex
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just gets better every time I tune in...
Robotprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I have got to get me one of these!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most excellent for sure: love the compact look of it all...very cool Cool
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very exciting to see the project move from a digital model to something you can hold in your hand.

I'm so very jealous (but appreciative) of your skills Dave!

DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Suggestions for New Blaster Project??? Reply with quote

Okay, it's going to be several weeks before I can get back to my shop to continue work on the Snubby. But I don't want to waste the time so I'm ready to start designing the next new blaster project. Yes, I plan on doing several Blade Runner inspired blaster kits, of which the Snubby is just the first.

I'm open to suggestions...

Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rifle or carbine/SMG, perhaps?
skullsoldier
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see an auto-revolver variant like a Mateba Unitas. Also, a derringer would be cool.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you try a "Magnum" design for the blaster: extended Steyr and barrel + 3 red LED instead of 2 on each side
cratercritter
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion: A SNUB Nose with some metal parts CNC'd, part metal & part plastic. And/or one nearly full metal, that bolts together, little cleanup, just paint it basically. Add one or two leds with on/off switch maybe.
Cool
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a wonderful effort, but from a design standpoint, something seems off to me. I you observe real snub nose revolvers, it seems the only things that have been reduced in size are the barrel length, and occasionally the grip. The frames appear to have remained normal size.
Here, everything seems to be reduced except the triggers and trigger guard which to me, now look out of proportion to the rest of the weapon. Also, what kind of ammo will work here with the smaller cylinder and barrel? I know these are fantasy weapons, but the snubby seems to have even less basis in reality than the normal size blaster.
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Snub Nose Designs Reply with quote

Bwood wrote:
but the snubby seems to have even less basis in reality than the normal size blaster.

Thank you for your input. I did spend a lot of time studying and measuring real snub nose revolvers before starting in on this design. While some might just have a shorter barrel, most true snub noses also have smaller and narrower frames, smaller grips and shorter cylinders. The one thing that usually isn't smaller is the trigger and guard. This is the case with snub noses made by Smith and Wesson and Taurus. Real snub nose revolvers tend to be awkward, out of proportion looking weapons.

This blaster is based around a 38 caliber snub nose, the prop gun in the movie was a .44 caliber. My barrel is the same dimension as the barrel on a S&W .38 snub. My frame is also very close in size to the frame on the Smith & Wesson. The receiver, bolt lever, side covers and slide switches are about 84% of the original. The triggers, guard and Weaver knob are full size. I wanted to make the binding post full size too but it is too close to the receiver so it was reduced. The idea was that even though the weapon is compact, the controls would remain the same size as the original.

There is enough room to fit a .38 caliber. 5 shot cylinder inside my blaster. However, I did not think of the blaster as being a revolver when I designed it. I think the designer and builder of the original prop did everything they could to disguise that it was built around a revolver for practical reasons and while the Coyle and Tomenosuke replicas have included the revolver cylinder and frame, they are (more or less) faithful replicas of the original. Mine is based on my own ideas of how the future technology would be incorporated into these weapons. While it is a .38 caliber weapon, I do not think of it as using ammunition that in any way resembles the ammo of today.

My concept is that the part based around the Steyr clip is the actual ammo clip and that it holds some sort of energy cell or a series of micro-miniature black holes (one of Ridley Scott's concepts for the blaster was that it fired mini black holes (or something like them) that exploded on impact). These would then feed into a reaction chamber in the center of the gun which expells them out when the trigger is pulled.

Don't ask me what the second trigger is for, I have no idea!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 6 of 18

Jump to: