FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Deckard's Personal VidPhon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeaahh...I was just about to ask you for pics of the other side ; you read my mind!
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Yeaahh...I was just about to ask you for pics of the other side ; you read my mind!

OK, a real update this time !

I added some greeblies on the Panaview top... They all came from the Contempra. I also added 2 plasticard parts on the sides, the batteries will later be incorporated in the center of this area...

Back to work now... It's sanding time !

Rolling Eyes

Fred

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see that many greeblies on the top of the Panaview...unless you have Nick Daring pics of the actual Vid-Phone Shocked
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one in the Bathroom had some extra stuff right there.

Andy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Didn't see that many greeblies on the top of the Panaview...unless you have Nick Daring pics of the actual Vid-Phone Shocked

The only photos I took inpiration from are the ones displayed in this topic + a few screencaps I did myself... This to say, these greeblies are my interpretation of what I could imagine from these refs... Nothing more, nothing less !

I began to work on the Video camera / hair dryer. There'll be a lot of work on that part, so I started with the easiest area, the back cover... The dark center part comes from the Contempra.

Fred

jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB, I believe the bathroom VidPhon is the one seen aside Leon in the opening scene, but with the hair dryer and top of Panaview greeblies removed. (the calculator on both phones isn't a CASIO MQ-11)

?????????????????

I thought this had been established as the famous and impossible to find MQ11.

No you say??????

Awesome work BTW as always
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What hair dryer brand name and model are you using?
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think?

This one:
http://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RPSC-818-Defroster-Folding-Handle/dp/B000BHQ5JC

Or this one from an earlier post:
http://www.smartmarine.co.nz/12v-auto-hair-dryer-defroster-p-451.html
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jameth wrote:
What hair dryer brand name and model are you using?

I used a BRAUN Travel Silencio :

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260682475034&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3189wt_1141

I had to heavily transform it (saw the entire rear, for example) to make it look a little more like the real one.. but the diameter looks rather spot on !

Your hair dryers look really nice, their shape match better the screenused version than mine... but they're not long enough imo (and there's always the diameter problem, you never know before you actually hold one of these, don't you ?)

The main problem with this part is that we'll never be able to identify the hair dryer that what used on the prop, simply because people throw them away when they don't use them anymore... they're simply too common (and old) to have a chance on second markets like eBay.

Fred
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Fred is using is a Braun. I would not be surprised if they did use a Braun, since Brauns and Casios were used throughout the film. I have seen many folding hair dryers that are close including one I almost bought that was sold by Sears. I have enough details burned into my brain that I am sure if I see the correct model I will recognize it. I am still looking though. Since there are at least a couple of these made, there is also likely some variation in their construction. I think we are allowed to come up with our own slight variations using the same part bashing they used to make the originals.

Keep it up guys.

Andy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
I would not be surprised if they did use a Braun, since Brauns and Casios were used throughout the film.

I totaly agree with you Andy and that's why I used a Braun on my VidPhon.

andy wrote:

Since there are at least a couple of these made, there is also likely some variation in their construction. I think we are allowed to come up with our own slight variations using the same part bashing they used to make the originals.

Totaly agree again. That's why I only used Contempra and Panaview spare parts as greeblies on mine.

BTW, I think they were 3 made for the film.

2 for the Tyrell interrogation room, 1 of them later modified to be re-used as a wall phone in Deckard's apartment. These aren't totally black. Their color is the same as the VK machine "metallic grey" color, but with some parts left black. (Panaview front window, Panaview top greeblies, hair dryer front and back covers)

1 for Deckard's apartment, aka the "MQ-11 phone". This one is totally black I think (not 100% sure though), mainly because it was used at a certain point as part of the Esper (and the Esper is 100% black).

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, the source I have said that "Sunbeam Sport" were used for the Vid-Phone (I'll have to confirm with my Father, but I think that this model was only available in the U.K. at the time).
As for the other Vid-Phone, it seems that a few were built and then "redressed" as other phones throughout the apt. for the different scenes in the movie...as I said before, the only person here who mentioned having good pics of the Vid-Phone is Nick (with his 800 continuity pics from the movie) Wink

Btw Jameth, I think that the second hair-dryer is the closest (as long as you have a collapsing handle).
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
as I said before, the only person here who mentioned having good pics of the Vid-Phone is Nick (with his 800 continuity pics from the movie) Wink

Oh yes, I remember this now... Nick, if you read this topic...

Fred
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the black version of the Braun here...
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAUN-Reisehaartrockner-von-Braun-NEU-/280653564525?pt=DE_Beauty_Wellness_Haarpflege_Haartrockner&hash=item4158418a6d

There are other Braun hair dryers, some that look very cool, but this is the only folding Braun I have found yet.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The model is the Sunbeam Sportsman 1200 according to the source...then again I like that Braun Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been able to find the Sunbeam Sportsman 1200 yet. The Braun is Fred's idea. I am not locked into any one version as yet. I like trying different stuff and seeing how each works. There are a few that are similar in style. Who knows we might find something better than the original. To me the lines and radiuses in the different products should look like they were made by a single product industrial designer. I feel like a matchmaker looking for the best marriage as they say. Most of all I also don't want it looking like a hair dryer stuck on the back. I still haven't found the perfect slide viewer for that matter. Of course my search for perfection has left me with several unfinished projects. Smile

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you...the perfect prop is something that was put together, using various parts and products and making it seamless: i.e. as if that Vid-Phone was made by one manufacturer.
But in the BR world, we know that products were transformed over the years and are not necessarely into their original design.
So it's entirely possible that other companies have given the Vid-Phone its definite look by simply adding a view screen here and a camera there, etc. Jameth did one, I did one and now Fred's; all are different, but fit well into that "re-fitt" world
SundayForever

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can almost hit Wall Slide Viewer ID there. We need some higher resolution images from this angle. wall model seems to have much more added to it, but some counters seem more complicated too. As far as I can say that at least one black and one gray one.
SundayForever

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Casio MQ-1 calculator (like the TI Exactra 19 & 20 calculators) has been hunted almost to extinction by SW fans for years, so if there's any to be had, it'd most probably come from a SW collector
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard SundayForever...as you can see, we're not the only one hunting that Casio: you're right: StarWars prop-maker need that Casio for a piece of the light-saber Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 7 of 17

Jump to: