FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
PAPER PROPS - The Magazines Reimagined
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: DRAGON CHESS Reply with quote

Inspired by Rick Ross's incredible Sebastian Chess Set . . .

HAB1! - R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: MISSING MAGAZINES Reply with quote

Some may have noted this. I missed it earlier, but in re-watching the interview with Southwell in the 5-disc set, he commented , "I think I did eleven covers."

So, if his recollection I correct, I am still missing two designs(?)

Hmmm . . . .

- R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: were they used during principal photography? My guess is: no.
Never saw other covers than the ones you tackled Confused
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: MYSTERY MAGS Reply with quote

Like you, I have the same questions. We may never know, but the suggestion leaves me wanting. In re-watching the legendary "Convention Reel", I've studied that footage backwards and forward, grabbing frames as reference and studying the backgrounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZVW8Zn5fSM

With each shot there is another magazine partially hidden beneath the one shown, or in the far background. Like the shot of FASH, few are fully revealed, but I have never seen any others that those shown, or the limited photos that accompanied the various fan-mag articles at the time - hence my total.

For now, I seem to have reached a deadend in my search of a few elusive pieces to my puzzle of 9. As you suggest, perhaps no more were ever realized, but I continue to wonder if Southwell might have copies hidden away-forgotten. But then it seems few of these artists value/d their work as we do, so it might be lost to history (I've already had THAT discussion elsewhere here, with mixed responses.)

Perhaps one day. Perhaps. Smile

- R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you Rep13, but sometimes it's just trying your luck and contact Tom Southwell himself and get the definite answer you're looking for...
I cannot imagine an artist not caring about his work, even as you said it being simply a job done for a bigger machine: a movie.
There's a certain pride into being recognized by fans and the likes for stuff you did decades ago. Wink
SynaMax
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not giving up hope just yet. The new Blu ray set may have the elusive FASH cover or even the continuity photos I need for my Blade Runner ID badges.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: DREAMING OF THE ELUSIVE SHEEP Reply with quote

But if not in October, perhaps in seven years, in the upcoming 2019 Omega Cut. Confused

Ω - R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: BLADE RUNNER BLUES-RAY Reply with quote

I received my copy of the new release (30th Anniversary) of Blade Runner on Blu-ray. As one might expect it seems little more than a repackaged marketing ploy - the cover image of which is rather ironic, since overall the release is far from unique. However, to be fair I must delve into it further when time permits - the other sections will take time to explore.

GRAPHICS
There is an expanded section on Graphics, but overall it was a bit disappointing. After a quick glimpse I saw little new to report, particularly regarding any magazine cover art.

While one image did finally revealed a full (uncropped) image of the DORGON cover - showing the cover figure's feet/shoes intact*, still missing were several other pieces, including the elusive FASH cover.

There are a few graphics of which I was unaware or had not yet discovered here on PS or elsewhere. One might assume these could have come from Tom Southwell's personal collection (one image is a logo design of his name), but these may well have been transferred from the earlier laserdisc galleries.

Additionally, there are more complete sections with storyboard panels and Ridleygrams as well as fashion illustrations, but there may well be panels and sketches still missing. Most of the images appear in disappointingly low resolution (especially since they are viewed here on a Blu-ray disc) and several are quite small on screen.

Sadly, at this point I rather doubt we will see anything more complete in the future, or at least until 2019. But for now, there is some fodder for further development and exploration.

- R13

* A feature I will have to correct.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rep13 for that review...it's true that it would be difficult to please us, the rabbid fans; I think we would be satisfied if they'd release every pics, every drawings, blue-prints, etc...
But for now we have to be content with the "small" amount of info available to us.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: JOCK ROCK Reply with quote

HAB1! - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spilled my milk on the keyboard on that one ...the GF went like that Rolling Eyes ...good one Rep13!
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: MONI-MONI-MONI Reply with quote

- R13

Money, money, money, money . . . MONEY!

- The O'Jays, 1973

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those could be cool covers for additional mags Cool ...maybe you should do the BR ones and then other issues of your own design for the following mags (like you just did for MONI).
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: GRAPHICS Reply with quote

Thanks, but these are meant as promotional graphics for the magazines.

- R13
Bendzhamin1967
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually when i saw the floating graphics, my mind saw them as giant digital billboards... that would look cool in the fan film!
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: THAT'S THE TICKET! Reply with quote

Web banners, direct mail, inserts, outdoor boards, whatever gets the message to the masses . . .

It's all about driving up "readership". Smile

HAB1! - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you got me at "BR Mags"
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: THESE BOOTS WERE MADE FOR CROPPIN' Reply with quote

When I began this post I thought by now to have my answers. Thankfully, I have gained some, but others remain just out of reach. I continue to believe that someone knows, but having followed numerous leads and encountered more dead ends that I chose to count, I feel I've exhausted my resources. And while Southwell himself mentioned that he used clipart from Dover (Publications), my inquiries there were fruitless. If they have the art, it appears lost, misfiled or worse - beyond their desire to search.

However, as mentioned earlier, the latest Blu-Ray release revealed the first image to my knowledge, showing the cover in its entirety. Uncropped, it reveals the boots of the "fat man" and the fact that the red snipe crossing the lower right corner reads "RARE PHOTOS", not "MORE" or "FREE" as previously guessed -

So, eventually I will correct my version.

Minor points all, but nonetheless important to those interested in the paper props of "Blade Runner".

HAB1! - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little by little, that mystery will be, one day, uncovered...keep us informed Rep13; it's always a pleasure to see your thorough research on that subject Cool
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: ONWARD AND UPWARD Reply with quote

Just seven more years and we'll all be flying Mead Aerodynes!

Have A Better One in 2013! - Replicant 13
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 13 of 23

Jump to: