FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Need Vid Phon case reference
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morganthirteen
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollow doesn't necessarily mean fragile. When I rotocast I use Smooth-On's Task 2. It's a slower curing resin that doesn't heat up as much when it kicks so the final product is a lot less brittle and a lot more durable. Last week after I had poured one of my Rexim's that I didn't really like (it had a few air bubbles on one edge) I decided to test just how tough it was by tossing it up in the air about 7 feet and letting it drop to the floor (concrete, with a thin carpet pad and average carpet on top). After six or seven drops with no damage I then proceeded to throw it on the floor with more than a little force.

Not a thing broke.

Now that's a smaller piece with a lot less air in it than something like this. But even for something this big (and especially if there's to be a lot of smaller cast details like the stuff I mention above) I'd be inclined to go that route, especially if you wanted it in one piece.
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used task 5 which is tough stuff. I'd say it's easily double the strength of regular type resins like the normal ones from most companies including Smoot-on's smooth cast. IIRC Task 2 is even tougher than the task 5.

You have manual roto caster or motor driven? Or just a 10 minute upper body workout?

I did a urethane foam rotocast of a huge pumpkin. Had to do 5 or 6 and the mold was cumbersome. I used our dryer! While wife was out shopping I snuck home. Mold barely fit through dryer door. Stuffed some old moving pads around it, pulled the heat fuse as a precaution, set it on cool and let it tumble for about 5 minutes changed the position a bit and did for another 10 minutes. Worked great!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Idea of a more accurate and durable pieces Smile I am going to do my quick and cheap one no mater what just for the sake of doing it. But I plan on doing a more accuate piece down the road. If Shawn cooks up some roto molded cases that would be awesome. I still need to get a face plate from Whitefall though.
morganthirteen
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or just a 10 minute upper body workout?

Also known as "lap casting"...lol And I usually do 15 minutes, just to be sure...
bbabich
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question to everyone in general reading the thread... Before we get too lost in all of this is there a party considering putting together a piece that they may offer in kit form to everyone who is contributing? The reason why I ask is I am curious as to what is scuttle butt and what is commitment or at least an edging towards committing to the body work. If someone is going to offer something, that is great, I don't have to keep working on plans and can focus on stickers/graphics and other things that I enjoy.

The downside to public sharing is that, soon, very soon leaches will use our findings, our information and become profiteers of our groups labor. I am all about sharing information, but discretion needs to also be a consideration as well.

-Bryan
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent point.

Maybe a kit acquired through multiple members? Whitefalls plate fits Shawn's case, fits electrogeekmember's flash/sound circuits, fits bbabich grafitti stickers, fits videogeeksmember's vid loop...

Does seem that "all paper props" translates to 'free paper props" which converts to "free paper profit". Sad
sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The multiple member thing makes the most sense. For the graphic items (stickers, face panel) perhaps the option of buying it printed or getting it printed yourself from a file would work; depending on what the maker is comfortable with.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened up my ideas to all to start all of us sharing. I personally don't care if people copy or try to profit off of what I end up posting. I know others won't feel the same though. I do feel if we get paranoid about what ends up happening with the stuff we talk about here, it could kill any momentum we have and prevent anything from actually being built. I do this for my own fun value and try not to care about what others will do with it later. It doesn't, or shouldn't take away from what I get from it. The profiteers usually don't end up making a whole lot more money than if they had a job at a supermarket for their work and material costs. More importantly they do not get any personal satisfaction. They get crumbs while we get get the full courses. I say let them go at it and end up taking the heat if the studio ever gets mad. I can't let fear of any "what if" take away my enjoyment. I like the fact that a small Idea I had has turned into something bigger. I am loving every second of what has been going on here. Keep it up please.
bbabich
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the case, I just want to see who is actually committing to it, otherwise another option would need to be looked into. A lot of people are throwing out ideas, which I agree is good, I just don't want to get the field so filled with players that we are running into one another.

I used the term discretion intentionally, I am not paranoid, but I am discrete about information. I am not saying hold back, I am saying share with respect and responsibly to the work of others before us and the work of those on this project.

Back to the dimentions of the faceplate... I think we need to try to determine the size of the B&W monitor in order to really nail down the size. The monitor was not custom, it was a standard monitor for the day and probably used several times during the production.

-Bryan
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I guess I misread your post.

As far as the moniter goes I agree, and I think it may have been the same JVC color moniter used by the fish Lady and for the spinner controlls, or at least based off of the same CRT screen. I am pretty sure it was Color and not B&W. There was certainly a lot of Prop "reusage" as Nick Pointed out in his "web of props" thread.

Actually going back and looking at those pics the JVC looks too small, but the screen in the middle of the spinner Dash looks about the right size on it's side. It is also right up next to one of those GE Recon walkie talkies.
morganthirteen
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll commit right now to building a case. It seems fairly straightforward, and I could start once the final measurements are pinned down.

I am more than willing to donate my time to produce a master, but after doing so I'd prefer to pass it on to someone else to mold and cast.
I think the best way to promote a real sense of any kind of group project is to both share the work and responsibility. It also allows me to stay focused on the other projects I've got in the works. All I'd ask in return is a few castings, the return of the master, and that the asking price be reasonable (of course, If no one else steps up, I'll do it, provided we all agree on the price).

So I'm on board for that much at least, as long as we can all agree on the size for the control panel. Personally, I'd love it to be about 30 inches tall, but I'm not convinced it isn't closer to 36...

Shawn
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if a program like this could help us?...

http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/2007/02/how_to_measure_.html
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier in this forum I posted a question about Harrison Ford height for instances exactly like this.

By measuring out a full body picture of Harrison you can derive the height of one Harrison Head. That then can used to measure anything that he is perpendicular to in space (not exactly but better'n nothin).

Him coming through the door way would be pretty good and the main sceene wouldn't be bad for this kind of treatment.

Nick
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morganthirteen wrote:
I'll commit right now to building a case. It seems fairly straightforward, and I could start once the final measurements are pinned down.

I am more than willing to donate my time to produce a master, but after doing so I'd prefer to pass it on to someone else to mold and cast.
I think the best way to promote a real sense of any kind of group project is to both share the work and responsibility. It also allows me to stay focused on the other projects I've got in the works. All I'd ask in return is a few castings, the return of the master, and that the asking price be reasonable (of course, If no one else steps up, I'll do it, provided we all agree on the price).

So I'm on board for that much at least, as long as we can all agree on the size for the control panel. Personally, I'd love it to be about 30 inches tall, but I'm not convinced it isn't closer to 36...

Shawn

Wow! That is an amazing thing you offer, Shawn! As we all know Shawn's work is superb.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came up with my first numbers by using the pic of Rutger Hauer standing next to the VidPhon in Nick's Pics. Both of Rutger and Harrison's stats are on IMDB as 6'1" They could be wrong though.
28injection

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i knew i had these somewhere, hope they are of use. Feel free to grab them and display them better on the forum.

cheers, Jon

edit: Added [img][/img] tags around links. -Amish
Division 6
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings.
Just signed up but have been reading the forum for a few months.

I'd like to mentiong that from talking to a few friends that have ment him, HF is only about 5'10" or so not the "official" 6'1".

Didin't want you to mess up your scaling on incorrect data. Wink

Perhaps for scaling someone may know the size of something else used in a given scene, like say the Budwieser sign or something similar.
Just a thought.

Also looking at the face plate in the pictures just posted I see that the black on the face plate is on the face of some clear plex or Lexan where the red and white appear to be on the back judging from the shadows.

Someone may want to look into getting laser cut vinyl graphics done.

Anyway very cool forum.
Eric...
bbabich
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice close up shot there!!!
Planta
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry guys, is it known for sure how many VidPhons can be seen on the film, and which scenes?

1 Roy's phone booth at bicicle street
2 at Taffey's
1 in Taffey's backstage corridor
1 in Zhora's backstage
1 outside Taffey's back door
1 phone booth during Zhora's chase

...and then? i think i discovered another one last night during my BR daily watching...
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, welcome to Propsummit!!!

Looking at what Eric (Division 6) said, I wanted to compare the doorway next to the vidphon for a height/width scale.

Unfortunately, there are various sizes for doors, however, I think it may narrow the scale down a lot.

This is what I found for door sizes:

Width:
Residential interior, usual, 30" to 32"
Residential exterior, 36"
Bathroom - 24"
Linen Closet - 18"
Powder Room - 24"

Height:
78" - 80"

In these pictures the Vid-phon is right next to the door so you do not have to consider any distance into figuring out the height/width comparison. Unfortunately, I suck at all things math, so I am not going to attempt figuring out the dimensions of the vid-phon. It is just not my forte.

Thank you Nickdaringfor the pictures, I am using your links, if you want I can take them down.

Anyway, if someone alredy figured this, I apologize for just reposting something that someone already came up with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: