Forum Index      Log in  Register
Prop Summit Suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loyalizer wrote:
Thing is, there's so much cross over between the two films. Most of the BR graphics and more than a few sound FX appear in BR. I see no reason to split the house in this case. At the moment Alien is up on the posts, but who knows what prop is gonna pop up tomorrow to put BR back up on the list, its a dynamic environment.

I totally agree.
The number one forum because we can talk BR & ALIEN Smile
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaff87 wrote:
The Loyalizer wrote:
Thing is, there's so much cross over between the two films. Most of the BR graphics and more than a few sound FX appear in BR. I see no reason to split the house in this case. At the moment Alien is up on the posts, but who knows what prop is gonna pop up tomorrow to put BR back up on the list, its a dynamic environment.

I totally agree.
The number one forum because we can talk BR & ALIEN Smile

Totaly agree with you guys (and Bassnoir, too)... and totaly disagree with Igniters (No hard feelings here BUT : You don't contribute anymore to this board but you'll like things to stay as they were when you were active... Nonsense IMHO. If someday in the future I don't want to contribute anymore I think I'll do like Oncebitten, I'll retire and let things go their way) !

Without the ALIEN posts this board would currently be almost dead... This new ALIEN section dragged really talented guys like JTParker and Spacejockey and allowed most of us to keep the fun going on (reading the 1258th post about screw B on the buttplate of kit version XX of the damn BR blaster isn't really my cup of tea... I totaly respect the interest of some of you guys for this kind of things but if you're worried about the ALIEN section like I am by the blaster threads, then do like me : Don't read them)

Razz

Life is changes. I think that if this board wants to stay alive and grow interest it'll have to maybe expand to some other areas connected in a way to Blade Runner other than ALIEN ??? (I'm mainly talking about 2001 here, we already had a few very interesting threads about this one too)

This place is ours, but it's Amish's and the guides' place as well, let's wait for their opinion on the subject prior to discussing further its possible evolution...

The most important for me is to keep having fun and share interesting information with all the very talented guys we have here... No matter if we're talking about Blade Runner, ALIEN or any other masterpiece that doesn't already have its own place on the internet !

Fred

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtparker wrote:
It would be cool if someone started an all ALIEN site, its getting crowded here for BR fans probably, I can understand why many would get turned off by all of us newbies.

I wouldn't call it crowded at all. Often times, these places become online cocktail parties. New folks show up, old ones leave, conversations start that may or may not interest you and you either contribute, or move on to another. To me, that's the best thing about these boards: the conversations are fluid and organic, and you never know where they'll go. I've learned things that I never would have from some of the nicest people all around the globe.

As for your last line, can you point out an instance where an established member here got "turned off" by a new member? (You can PM me if you'd rather keep it private) I know that some other boards try to make the new folks jump through hoops and prove themselves worthy before they're accepted, but I've always found this place to be exceptionally accepting of new members (I dislike the term "newbie" - it sounds derogatory).
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as someone who has a love of the BR 'aesthetic' and the whole associated SciFi movie design lineage that it influenced and borrowed from, I'm loving the ALIEN stuff. It's entirely relevant. Not least because it was directed by the same bloke!

Last edited by Art Deckard on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkknight0667 wrote:
I know that some other boards try to make the new folks jump through hoops and prove themselves worthy before they're accepted, but I've always found this place to be exceptionally accepting of new members (I dislike the term "newbie" - it sounds derogatory).

This.

I'm not a prop builder or much of a collector for that matter (budget constraints!) but propsummit has a very friendly vibe to it.
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:

The most important for me is to keep having fun and share interesting information with all the very talented guys we have here... No matter if we're talking about Blade Runner, ALIEN or any other masterpiece that doesn't already have its own place on the internet !

Very well said Fred.
It's all about having fun.
Oh, and i like the sound of talking more 2001 aswell Smile
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with the ALIEN stuff myself, and an glad that it is easier to weed through the stuff here than the RPF or other Aliens forums where I am uninterested in most of the sequel stuff. The things all of these films have in common including 2001, is a strong artistic vision and mature intelligent nature. That is probably why the board is also so much more friendly and thoughtful than other boards.

I can also read every post in one day in under an hour without skipping anything, and I find that I like most of the threads and find them interesting regardless of what they are about. You could never do that at the RPF.

Of course Alien is also my second favorite movie so I have been enjoying the threads on it almost as much as any BR thread. I actually feel a little pride knowing all my favorite films are discussed here regularly.

As far as changing the title, one of the reason we kept the name propsummit, instead of calling it bladerunnerprops (even though that is also a registered address for the forum) is because we wanted to keep it open for all of us who don't want the site to be too single minded, and focused, so as to never get stale. I think we would be open to suggestions for a new subtitle.

As far as Alien stuff scaring away any BR talk, I seriously doubt it, and I hope nobody feels that way. I just think there hasn't been all that much new news as of yet. I think the ALIEN stuff has kept the forum active in the mean time.

Andy
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

Location: In my office playing golf, pouring drinks, making deals.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a lot of new members on a daily basis signing up.
I am fans of both films, so one or the other is fine. we could have like a dual entry link on the home page "enter the world of Blade Runner"
or "World of Alien" really on both areas there are tons of content and reference material, Alien will catch up very quickly. But being that they are both directed by Ridley Scott, they both film have an underlying vibe that sets them apart from other movies. Actually this is the coolest site out there.
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents:

Propsummit is for me the best forum about BR. BladeZone perhaps is the most important from some point of view, but for me, Propsummit has the funny part: props!!! AND KIND PEOPLE!!!

Alien is one of my favourites all-time movies. Yeah. But... if Propsummit is "The art of Blade Runner" Alien is an Off-Topic, like Matrix or Dr. Slump! If the Staff members consider a redesign, well, an idea: "Propsummit, The Art of Ridley Scott" will be nice umbrella for both BR, Alien and more to come, isn't? Very Happy Adn I will be happy too.

I like the forum as now. Not plenty of new threads every hour of day. I love RPF for certain subjects, but is cumbersome to follow. Thus, Propsummit is my preferred one. Ever.

Promoting. I love this forum so much that I promote it everytime I can. Say Facebook, Networkedblogs, Stumble! or any other promoting sites... I post Propsummit... Do the same boys! And people REALLY interested in this hobby will be here.

End of my two cents... Very Happy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Alien is a new toy (for some people) it's logical that, for now, the traffic has increased on that particular topic. As others have said, things change (tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse Fred)...but it doesn't mean the end of BR topics either. I love Alien as well, and Lord knows those two can co-habit without any problems...the main understanding is that this board is populated by respectful and sharing people and that's always a + nowadays Very Happy
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This place is the greatest!!!!
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

Well, I have not been around all that much in the past 7 months. I apologize for that, but after taking a new job last November, my free time has dwindled.

I am looking at offshooting some alien stuff. I have registered a couple of new domain names, and am trying to find the time to give Alien a fair shot, but will not dismiss Blade Runner ever.

At most here, I will probably increase the subsection for Alien, but BR will always be the tops. I am also going to create a blog/forum type site for a lot of the a lot of Alien stuff that I have been given.

I cannot thank Andy, Pete (Darkknight), and Noeland enough for being Community Guides here. While I have been away much of the time, they have kept things straight.

However, a big thank you to all of the members that contribute, read, and just hang out. It is always the members that make the forum, not its Admin, Moderators, or whatever else you might call the people behind the scenes. The content will always be driven by the membership and that is why I am so thankful for all of you.

So stay tuned, and don't change that channel. Things are happening, and they are not going to change Propsummit "The Art of Blade Runner". It may just add a couple of sub-sections and a sister site

Talk to you all soon!

Tom
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree amish, just kind of keep it the way it is.. keep Blade Runner at the top and then do an expanded Alien type thing, while I only speak for myself, I kind of like the fact that this is kind of a nice obscure website, and the people here are the greatest.
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, my name is Space Jockey, and I think this site is great. GREAT!

Seriously, I love the content here and the banter both on BladeRunner and ALIEN. Don't think you need to change a thing.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I love all the stuff I have been seeing from both ALIEN and BR right now. The only thing I am considering right now is possibly moving any ALIEN sequel stuff into the "Other Props" section to keep it focused on the first movie.

I like all the movies myself, but the tone of this forum works I think because of the focus on Ridley Scott's Science Fiction masterpieces as opposed to the more action oriented films. Just a thought though.

Andy
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
but the tone of this forum works I think because of the focus on Ridley Scott's Science Fiction masterpieces as opposed to the more action oriented films.

I agree.
Although i am a fan of ALIENS and the other movies, ALIEN is the best in the series, by far.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way we could get a 'view first unread post' button on the threads? its getting a little tough to remember where I left off in some threads.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see what I can do about that Loyalizer Smile May take a little time, but I will check it out.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, just thought I'd throw it out there. It's one of those features that makes my mod position on another board a walk in the park/

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood It is one of those features that I have never used even if it was available on other forums. I am not sure why I never used it, but because I never used it, it never entered my mind to use it here

I will be looking into it though Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: