FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Smirnoff "Blade Runner" bottle on e-bay

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djrees56
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Smirnoff "Blade Runner" bottle on e-bay Reply with quote

I just saw this bottle on ebay listed in the Blade Runner section.The bid starts at $300.00.There are a few pics of the exact same bottle for sale in Taffy's bar on the item page.Heres the ebay item number.
Item number: 130252650114
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I must confess I'm a little curious as to why "Bob" is letting this bottle go...maybe he'll jump on and comment.
To my understanding, this was the bottle he let all his other DeCzar's go to get.
You may notice it's not quite the same as the DeCzar's used in Blade-Runner...it's jsut a bit different.
Is it really one of the original 1800's Russian Pre-Revolution Bottles?...but if that were the case it would
undoubtedly go for a lot more than it is, wouldn't it?
Not to mention the fact that this bottle is NOT the same make as the ones used in the movie as his own
picture clearly shows, so why would a BR Fan want it?

Bottle on the right is the one for sale.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a puzzle here. It is "original", but not "original" to the movie. Does that make it more or less valuable. I guess it depends on the those bidding on it. I guess by getting two seperate groups bidding on it it may drive it up more, after all it isn't the highest bidder that drives up the price but the second highest bidder. The pics make some good reference though.

Andy
Mr Hyde
Banned!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: de Czar Reply with quote

Here's a thought...

We're all familiar with the "standard Blade Runner issue" de Czar Special Reserve No. 63 that was imported into the US between 80-82, and Bob claims it was bottled in Ohio (where's his proof of this, by the way? Smirnoff's US distributor at the time was located in Hartford, CT, as reflected on the bottle's main label).

The slightly different style bottle produced in England contains a different blend (No. 99).

So what if the No. 99 bottle was manufactured in the UK and the No. 63 bottle was manufactured in the US?

See what I'm getting at? What if... what if the mold for the No. 63 bottle is still sitting in a Hartford, CT warehouse, or in another location owned by Smirnoff USA or its parent company, Diageo?

Interestingly, there's no mention of Smirnoff being ever produced in the UK:

http://www.answers.com/topic/smirnoff

Might be worth making some phone calls and sending letters to determine the fate of the No. 63 bottle molds... Wouldn't it be awesome if someone could purchase them and get a run going? Very Happy
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU sir are a shiftless dreamer! IT CANT BE DONE!!! Just look at that other bottle from BR, the whiskey bottle...oh wait...Never mind... Very Happy

If there is one thing that the Whiskey Bottle has tought me it's this...:
anything is possible!
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... when's the screen accurate plastic one coming out? Razz

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably as soon as I get off my ass and put together that vacuform machine I've always wanted.
Then ofcourse I would have to make a rubber mold on one of my bottles and pour up a positive in stone that would have to be sawed in half corner to corner and mounted flat for the streching of the heated plastic...
ah HELL...someone else can do it can't they?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into making a plastic bottle myself (Briefly). The options are as Paul said, to make a Male mold master in two parts for Vacuum Forming, that will in the end have a glued seam. Or to have one Blow molded using a polished steel female mold similar to the one the glass bottle was made from, at a similar cost. Or it could be rotomolded in clear resin, but the wall thickness would vary greatly, and it would be very difficult to polish the inside of it.

Maybe someone else here has some ideas?

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I would avoid selling the bottles in a package deal. I think you would lose the best value you could get for each by ruling out all bidders with limited amount to spend. If you only have bidders willing to spend a smaller amount without at least two that are willing to put it through the top values you will lose out. Also you would rule out people who already own one of the bottles. I could see combining it with the more common decorative bottle, but when you combine two rare items, you often only make what one of them is worth. I have often picked up package deals that went for less than the one items typical sale, because so many bidders got scared off. Then again it might be cool for a BR fan to get a deal, but I think it may be more likely a speculator that will end up with them, only to break them up and sell them off individually. As a matter of fact putting up two similar auctions at the same time that appeal to the same domographic can drain off the others energy too.

Andy
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be right Andy...I'll definately give it some more thought before jumping in! Very Happy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved the non important posts into the pit before things started to get out of hand. I prefer we keep the main threads impersonal, and informative (if possible).

You can visit them here..
http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=1073&highlight=

Thanks guys
Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: