FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
JW bottle alternative caps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh, the one I'm thinking of is actually chrome Wink
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may have been discussed-- I didn't want to read the whole thread-- but be sure you find a perfectly sized *cork* that will fit your bottle if you ever plan to put booze in it. Probably the best would be matched ground glass top and neck, but while this can be done by hand, it's risky. High quality cork is rare, so you may need a synthetic cork. Don't fool around with sticking felt, etc inside a cap, because alcohol will evaporate. I'm assuming you actually plan to store alcohol in this bottle. If not, then felt is just fine.

Find a cork that fits, bed it with perfectly mixed epoxy inside the flashy top, and you're probably ok. Do any of this at your own risk!

doc
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know...I didn't think of it until just now but...
I was sent a whole bag of corks with the BR Whiskey bottles!
I didn't even check to see if they fit!
I'm going out to check now...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use soft rubber cork (thank God I spelled it right ) that would fit in any bottle's neck. I like the sound of the JW being uncorked by Bryant in the police station (original sound take unlooped).
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get the strongest hold from a slow cure epoxy. Rem: consumer epoxy is generally a 1:1 mix. If you want to lock every (literally) stinkin' molecule, your mix must be absolutely precise. Andy, I believe, mentioned using a screw inside. Good thinking. I would suggest using a spider nut (the kind with the little spikes around the edges and a threaded center) so you can accommodate the dimple. Use a wirebrush on your dremel and clean out the bottom inside of the cap, which will also score it. Clean with ethyl alcohol (Everclear= 180 proof grain alcohol-- not available in all states, but there's plenty in Oregon!) several times. You can also drink the Everclear, but not the cleaning residue. It's important to be sure all mold releases from the metal or plastic top are gone, and any waxes as well. Glue the topside of the spider nut-- e.g. the flat side, after also cleaning it-- into the very center of the cap. The bump should help align the spider nut. Score the surface again inside. Mix some epoxy and pour it in to cover the prongs (the prongs will end up sticking into the cork). Press in your cork in slowly, perfectly straight and true-- make and aligning jig if you need to. Allow enough depth of epoxy for the end of the cork to be submerged at least a quarter of an inch. Let it sit a few days. It should be industrially strong at this point, and should hold when twisted. Stay from superglues (cyanoacrylates). Superglue can craze acrylic plastics, and metals coated by acrylic spray. Also, supleglue has very little shear strength. It's wonderful for push/pull, but horrible for twist.

Just an idea. I'm still trying to track down a cap that meets the spec of the cosmetic cap from the UK chemist shop. May have to wait until I hit Vancouver BC next. But that's how I'd approach it.

There are corks and there are corks. The French have been complaining for years about the decline in cork quality because of over harvesting. Be sure you use a good one.

Again, just my opinions. You may have better ones.

Doc
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here it is.
I'm not certain it's real cork, though it looks and feels like it is,
however it smells like saw-dust so may be some kind of composite.

It fit's the BR Whiskey Bottle perfectly!

The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doc3d wrote:
This may have been discussed-- I didn't want to read the whole thread-- but be sure you find a perfectly sized *cork* that will fit your bottle if you ever plan to put booze in it. Probably the best would be matched ground glass top and neck, but while this can be done by hand, it's risky. High quality cork is rare, so you may need a synthetic cork. Don't fool around with sticking felt, etc inside a cap, because alcohol will evaporate. I'm assuming you actually plan to store alcohol in this bottle. If not, then felt is just fine.

Find a cork that fits, bed it with perfectly mixed epoxy inside the flashy top, and you're probably ok. Do any of this at your own risk!

doc

Trust me, what goes in that bottle doesn't sit around long enough to evaporate around here.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long time friend who's in the chips (unlike Doc) bought me a bottle of Balvenie Thirty for Christmas, to fill the BR bottle. I don't plan to let a jug of $500 thirty-year-old Scotch evaporate. In fact, assuming Rainier doesn't erupt or there's no nuclear war, it'll uncork a couple of times a year, in the company of a friend.

Yah yah, Balvenie Thirty isn't what's supposed to be in the bottle. But as some of you know by now, I never was much on tradition.

Except maybe Auld Lang Syne...

Even Balvenie Portwood, which is only 21 years old, makes any other Scotch made tast like crap. Balvenie is the best single malt on Earth, or any other planet. And you can even survive on Balvenie Doublewood, in a pinch... Cool

Doc
Deckards double
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trimmed down Champagne cork is working a treat.. in fact i've done the mod twice (my brother has a bottle too!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: