Forum Index      Log in  Register
NOSTROMO BEER (sold out)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

temponaut wrote:
Fred, your 2nd-generation prototypes look fantastic! Great work!

The screenshot you posted of Dallas drinking from an Aspen can suggests that the correct orientation of the label relative to the tab and mouth of the can is almost exactly as in your prototype using the 16oz can (whereas the orientation is a bit different on the 440ml can, even if we assume an identical label on the far side of the can).

I know you are keeping an eye on this, as you have already developed a reputation for meticulous detail.

Magnifique!

Many thanks again, Gary ! (Keep in mind that these are photocopies on the 2nd generation cans, the final props will definitely look better !)

I must admit I don't know if the labels will all be sticked the same way on the cans body... I don't think the propmakers bothered producing all the original cans with the labels sticked the same way, IMHO !

But if you guys want the cans to look all the same with the labels sticked the way they were on Dallas can, I'll do my best to make them like that !

Just tell me what you think of this...
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're quite right that the propmasters probably did not pay much attention to standardizing the orientation of the labels on all of the cans; finding other screenshots of different cans might confirm this. It does seem, though, as if Scott chose this particular can (the one from which Dallas is shown drinking) so that we get a nice image of the label rather than of the seam.

If these were "real world" beer cans, of course, all of the labels would be oriented the same way.

I'm not sure how labor-intensive it will be for you to standardize all of the cans, but if possible I'd like my three cans to be oriented like the one from which Dallas is drinking. That is, unless we find screenshots that clearly show other variations. Then I might reconsider.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think that most beer cans do orient the labels so they are still visible when someone is drinking them. At least I believe that soda cans are to keep their product ID in view. It is possible they copied the orientation of the existing label, but I will have to test the theory myself to see if I am right or crazy Smile

Andy
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why I read Fred's previous post as suggesting it might be difficult to position all the labels the same way. He simply wrote that he wasn't sure whether they would all be stuck on the same, and somehow I jumped to thinking that standardizing the placement would be difficult.

Of course, it shouldn't be difficult. It just takes a little care, but making all the cans the same should be easily within Fred's reach... as it must have been for the original propmakers.

If the cans weren't going to be featured in any shot in detail, I suppose they still might have been made willy-nilly. But after reading Andy's post and stopping to think a bit more -- and knowing Scott's penchant for detail -- it really wouldn't be surprising if all the cans are standardized like the real thing.

Thanks, Andy!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity I called an old friend that I knew had worked for the Coca-Cola and Jolt bottling plants here in town. She told me that most of the older canning equipment could not orient the tops of the cans with the sides, but Coke almost invented the kind that can, but still the plants here will only use the high end version for the big name products with big runs. They still have a unit that will do the smaller run regional stuff. They used to run Jolt on it back in the day, but they are now run on the bigger machines (big time for a local company again).

Chances are that any beer from the 70's would not have been able to orient the labels. And even though Ridley is a stickler for detail, he would most likely trust his prop guys to do it. Also his penchant for detail made him try and keep things natural as possible, especially when doing sci-fi so as not to seem artificially manipulated and movie glam. So (fake) product placement is not something I think he would focus on. At least not on this level.

If it is possible though, trying to copy the screen used and shown cans would add that extra detail of course, the hobbyists get all giddy about, and I would say go for it if you can (orient the can Wink ).

Andy
Backlight
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumbled over here from the Replica Prop Forum...

Please add me to the "purchase" list for 3 cans. Thanks!

-- Backlight
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entering the board in style!

Welcome, Backlight, to propsummit and to the Three Aspens Club.
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Andy, especially about your friend with knowledge of the abilities of period canning equipment. That's very interesting!

andy wrote:
Also his penchant for detail made him try and keep things natural as possible, especially when doing sci-fi so as not to seem artificially manipulated and movie glam. So (fake) product placement is not something I think he would focus on. At least not on this level.

Good point, which very well may be true. On the other hand, Scott is very aware of shot composition and elements within the frame, and (despite his advertising background), I'd guess he might have been looking at it as a "well-composed shot" rather than as "product placement" (especially for a non-existent product). It's not as if he positioned the label straight to the camera... and deliberately choosing a can with the seam front and center would be, in a sense, as "artificially manipulated" as the opposite.

But I'm just hypothesizing and of course can't say what he would or wouldn't have thought. All I can say is that, if it had been me, I would have chosen a fake beer can that showed more label over one that showed more seam for that shot.
Division 6
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went though all the screen caps I did a few weeks ago.
In every scene the labels are facing the camera.
Galley and Engine room.

Dallas is drinking from the silver area between logo's in the Kane death scene.
It's at an odd angle not centered.

Will the cans have the correct push openings?

E...
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Ridley may have wanted to show the Label, or even more likely the prop guys wanted to make sure their handiwork got on screen. Sucks to spend countless hours creating a prop to have it angled away during the shoot. maybe the slight off angle was to keep it from being too gratuitous.

Andy
Backlight
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

temponaut wrote:

Thanks temponaut. Been lurking for a while, but had to sign up once I saw SKIN JOB's cans.

That doesn't sound right. Anyway, you know what I mean.

-- Backlight
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Thanks for that.

Update on can making process. The Coca Cola Style canning equipment was made in the 50's believe it or not, and is more prevalent than I thought. It may just be that that style of canning is a bit more expensive per run and only more cost effective on larger runs. Let us just say that many cans are made with label orientation in mind and others aren't. So it is possible the ALIEN ones were just copied off of the can that was used as the basis.

Andy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright guys, I promise I'll center the damn labels to make the cans look like Dallas'...

Please stop arguing about this, my head is just spinning too much reading all your late posts !!!

More seriously, don't you think that in the case of the "3 Aspens club" it's going to be a little boring to have 3 absolutely identical cans ? (Again, if you want them this way I'll do it, I don't have a problem with that, it's up to you)

SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Division 6 wrote:

Will the cans have the correct push openings?

I've already said they won't since I was unable to find cans with this accurate detail. (read first post of this thread)

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backlight wrote:
temponaut wrote:

Thanks temponaut. Been lurking for a while, but had to sign up once I saw SKIN JOB's cans.

That doesn't sound right. Anyway, you know what I mean.

-- Backlight

Thanks Backlight, I'm quite pleased to hear that !

Welcome to the board... and to the "3 Aspens club" ! (BTW, did you know that a "clay pipe smokers club" also existed on this board ???)

Division 6
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backlight wrote:
... had to sign up once I saw SKIN JOB's cans.

temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
More seriously, don't you think that in the case of the "3 Aspens club" it's going to be a little boring to have 3 absolutely identical cans ?

That's why I thought I might reconsider if we found screenshots showing other variations. Wink

If we could find evidence of several different orientations, I'd love to duplicate them in my replicas. But lacking such evidence, I'd opt for three identical cans, as this would better support the illusion of them being "real." (Although after reading what Andy wrote about the canning technology back then, I guess cans off the same production line in that era would not necessarily be standardized after all. Hmm....)
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Division 6, awesome photo montage. Thank you for assembling and sharing those shots with us. Especially nice to have such a clear shot of the top of the push-top can.
Division 6
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it might be helpful.Wink

E...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Alien Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: