NOSTROMO BEER (sold out)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

temponaut wrote:
Backlight wrote:
... had to sign up once I saw SKIN JOB's cans.

I suspect you're not only talking about my cans, here... talking about my "cans", too ???

Shocked
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

temponaut wrote:
SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
More seriously, don't you think that in the case of the "3 Aspens club" it's going to be a little boring to have 3 absolutely identical cans ?

That's why I thought I might reconsider if we found screenshots showing other variations. Wink

If we could find evidence of several different orientations, I'd love to duplicate them in my replicas. But lacking such evidence, I'd opt for three identical cans, as this would better support the illusion of them being "real." (Although after reading what Andy wrote about the canning technology back then, I guess cans off the same production line in that era would not necessarily be standardized after all. Hmm....)

Nowadays cans are not standardized, too... Go buy a pack of Coke or Pepsi and see by yourself...
Razz

Regarding the Aspen beer, here is a pic of the one sold very recently by the Propstore of London... Looks like the labels position isn't the same as on Dallas' can...

(this one was made using a 440ml can, not a 16oz like Dallas' beer... the lower part is different)
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked in my office refrigerator. I have a six pack of beer in there. To my amazement, no two cans exactly matched each other in terms of the placement of the labels relative to the tabs, and some of them were about as opposite as can be. Fred is absolutely right.

It's weird. All this time I had assumed that mass produced, canned items like this are identical because, presumably, the manufacturing process is standardized for each can. Clearly there are some variables I hadn't considered. What's more, I hadn't even really looked at the cans themselves! I guess I was more focused on what was inside...

Well, this project has changed all that. I'll be looking closely at cans from now on... before, during, and after investigating what's inside! And I'm leaning toward three different placements on my three Aspens.

Thanks, Fred.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

temponaut wrote:

It's weird. All this time I had assumed that mass produced, canned items like this are identical because, presumably, the manufacturing process is standardized for each can. Clearly there are some variables I hadn't considered. What's more, I hadn't even really looked at the cans themselves! I guess I was more focused on what was inside...

I think the main problem in producing standardized cans is the shape in itself... since it's not square, you can't really control the way it's positioned when the labels are applied...

Damn round shapes !!!

(and I hope you won't focus too much on what'll be inside the ASPEN BEERs... or you'll be VERY disappointed !!!)

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget trying to get them lined up on a can, You should try lining them up on a bottle Very Happy

Andy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Forget trying to get them lined up on a can, You should try lining them up on a bottle Very Happy

Andy

A square bottle, of course !

clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought. Would you be up for selling labels only in case we come across a more accurate can?
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clutch wrote:
Here's a thought. Would you be up for selling labels only in case we come across a more accurate can?

No, I won't.

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Backlight
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

temponaut wrote:
And I'm leaning toward three different placements on my three Aspens.

Agreed, same with mine. This will boost the verisimilitude. If the labels are all lined up the same it'll look improbable.

"Three Aspens" sounds like a ski resort.

-- Backlight
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backlight wrote:
temponaut wrote:
And I'm leaning toward three different placements on my three Aspens.

Agreed, same with mine. This will boost the verisimilitude. If the labels are all lined up the same it'll look improbable.

Great ! Mines are going to be like that, too !
I'll make one of them like Dallas' (I'm talking about the "3 Aspens club" here, all the others'll get a "Dallas can") and the 2 others with 2 different label placements...

BTW, forgot to post about this but I've ordered the cans wednesday, they should arrive home by next friday... I'll post an update as soon as they arrive !
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Three Aspens." Yeah, it sounds like a ski resort in a made-for-TV movie! Better yet, it sounds like the title of a TV series set at a ski resort of the same name.

Excited now about the three different placements of the labels. Great idea, Fred, to make one of them match the Dallas placement.

If we're able to confirm the orientation of two other cans using screenshots, it would be cool to have three "screen-accurate" label placements. Otherwise, I suppose any placement will do! Wink
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

temponaut wrote:

If we're able to confirm the orientation of two other cans using screenshots, it would be cool to have three "screen-accurate" label placements. Wink

Scroll up to the middle of this page... At least, there's another confirmed one different from Dallas' !
Razz
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!

As you pointed out, this one's a 440ml rather than a 16oz can like the ones you'll be using. But it still looks good as a candidate for label placement. Smile

Did anyone happen to notice how much this can went for at Propstore?
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

temponaut wrote:

Did anyone happen to notice how much this can went for at Propstore?

Unfortunately, I didn't...

But I own a mid-90's auction catalog (Phillips) and the estimated price for one of these ASPEN 16oz cans was 100 to 150GBP back then... (don't know the final price for this one neither)
Backlight
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: A L I E N / NOSTROMO BEER (taking orders until Nov 30th) Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
440ml AND 16oz cans were used on the sets, so both models are screen-accurate...

So I'm going to concentrate on the other instead, the 16oz beer can, to replicate the original prop... it'll be 99% close to the original can Dallas holds during both meal sequences.

Here's a dumb question... did the labels say "440ml" on both types of cans used in the film, including the 16oz (that's what the screen caps seem to suggest)? I take it your replicas will say "440ml" even though they will be on 16oz cans?

And just some silly speculation... the label says "Extra Strong". Normal beer alcohol content is about 5%. I wonder what the alcohol content of Aspen would be. 6%? 7%?

--Backlight
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: A L I E N / NOSTROMO BEER (taking orders until Nov 30th) Reply with quote

Backlight wrote:
SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
440ml AND 16oz cans were used on the sets, so both models are screen-accurate...

So I'm going to concentrate on the other instead, the 16oz beer can, to replicate the original prop... it'll be 99% close to the original can Dallas holds during both meal sequences.

Here's a dumb question... did the labels say "440ml" on both types of cans used in the film, including the 16oz (that's what the screen caps seem to suggest)? I take it your replicas will say "440ml" even though they will be on 16oz cans?

And just some silly speculation... the label says "Extra Strong". Normal beer alcohol content is about 5%. I wonder what the alcohol content of Aspen would be. 6%? 7%?

--Backlight

The same label was used on both cans, of course ! The label says "440ml", maybe because the movie was made in England and english cans are 440ml, not 16oz... so my 16oz cans will have "440ml" labels sticked on them, like the real, screen-used ones !

One of the stongest beers we have here in France is BAVARIA 8.6...It's almost 8% alcohol !!! It's a very good beer but after one can you're pretty, well... I wouldn't try to land the Nostromo on a deserted planet, believe me !!! (BTW, maybe that's why they had such problems after landing in the movie, if you remember well Captain Dallas drinks Aspen during the breakfast sequence !)
Shocked
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting questions and answers!

Here's another question:

Does anybody know the relevance of the choice of "Aspen" as the name of the beer? Was there any connection between Aspen, Colorado and Weylan Yutani? Any special connection between Aspen and a member of the A L I E N creative team?
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I'm aware of, but I do remember that back then a few beers were touting 'mountain fresh' or some such in their ads, might be a reference to that.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

temponaut wrote:
Interesting questions and answers!

Here's another question:

Does anybody know the relevance of the choice of "Aspen" as the name of the beer? Was there any connection between Aspen, Colorado and Weylan Yutani? Any special connection between Aspen and a member of the A L I E N creative team?

I wondered if the Nostromo 16oz beer can were made using COORS cans, so I've ordered a few to see by myself...
Why do I tell you this ? Because back in the 70's COORS was producing ASPEN BEER, too... Here is a tin sign currently for sale on eBay :

That's maybe the origin of the Nostromo ASPEN beer : an imaginary ASPEN label sticked on a COORS can !!! (We'll see in a few days if those 2 match)
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, quite a concept! Very Happy Great find, Fred!

Maybe a member of the A L I E N creative team was a fan of ASPEN BEER.

I don't have my DVD with me here, or I'd check to see whether COORS appears in the film's credits anywhere.

Are the COORS cans you ordered from the 1970s? Do we know whether COORS produced those push-top cans?

I know it's a long-shot because of unavailability, and you've already stated that you'll be using pull-top cans, but it would be sooooo cool to reproduce these ASPEN beers using the correct push-top cans...

Just wishful thinking!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Alien Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: