FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Aging The Amber/Orange Grips On A BR Replica Model Kit? HELP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Aging The Amber/Orange Grips On A BR Replica Model Kit? HELP Reply with quote

Hello,

First off i would like to thank all of the BR fans here who have posted many great ideas, photos, BR knowledge etc...! I came here to learn what i did not know and find what i was looking for to add into my BR collection and seek the help from those that know how to build and know what Deckards "hand cannon" is suppose too look like. I wanted only high end collectibles and replicas and PropSummit has so far been excellent for what i am looking for. So i thank all of you for helping me in my quests for the ultimate in BR collectibles!

My question,
I am having a metal prop replica built, painted, blued and weathered (a well known one that is talked about often on this messageboard) and the master model builder who is creating this holy grail for me has everything in place and all is good. Problem, the WorldCon hero prop shows the grit and grime build up on the checkered/diamond pattern on the amber/orange grips, anyone have a idea on how to replicate that on the plastic grips of the replica i am having worked on? My concern is to not damage the plastic grips with any hard chemical treatment. I do not need it hit as hard as the WorldCon hero prop, maybe half that weathered look.

Thanks so much for the help and advice!

Last edited by panzerrune on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:25 am; edited 5 times in total
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've studied that pattern on the Worldcon grips for a long time. I think its not grime, it looks like they checkering was cut into the grips and the resin on the grips becomes opaque in the recessed parts of the checkering as a result of the cutting or sanding.

Its pretty much the only detail really missing from every PKD, RAC, and Sidkit I've ever seen. I suppose it could be replicated by taking either a hacksaw blade or a very thin metal file and carefully sanding in between the checkering patterns until the right look is achieved. I've thought about trying it myself, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

One thing I've always wanted to see done was a set of black rubber grips for a stainless steel finish version of the blaster. Dull black rubber, not shiny.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys talking about the drywall/prop dust caked into the grips in the checkering?

It's from the scenes involving Roy grabbing Deckard through the wall, which was some of the stuff filmed last because it was stunt heavy.

The gun has obviously never been cleaned or cared for properly.

I doubt anyone had ever taken the time to remove the grips and wash out the drywall dust caked into the checkering.

panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland,

If this is correct what you are saying, than i see the grips as something that do not need to be aged. How positive are you on this? Do you view it as a theory? Or are you sure this is what is going on? The plaster and such from the gun going through the wall (how ever many times they had to do that take) would build up that fast and stay that long on those grips?

Please let me know as this will determine what i need to do with my prop replica that is being built. But i must say i do see that is being the highly possible cause of what is evident on the worldcon photos.

THANKS!
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loyalizer,

I am also open to your idea on this, as if those are true cuts going into the material between the checkered pattern into the grips they do show only in that checkered area and go nowhere outside of its pattern.

THANKS!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am leaning a bit toward Loyalizers theory on this, because in the worldcon pics where the flash is off, and they are backlit, they seem to be translucent(sp?) and do not block the light that much, as drywall powder would have.

I have had a feeling for quite some time that these grips were the originals and only stunt pairs were cast off of them. That is why it seems the cracked portion seems glued to the frame of the grip. When they polished them down it would have been tough to get down inside the pattern without ruining the whole pattern by softening it.

Taking a dull blade (Xacto) to the very bottom inset of the pattern may roughen it enough to get the same effect. I may have to give it a try tonight to see if it works out.

Andy
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the grooves in the checkering were from wax buildup.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone's just gonna have to take a spare set of grips and try the various materials/distressing mentioned in this thread. I admit the wax buildup idea has crossed my mind too.

Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a couple of Karl's wonderful photos in particular made me think "caked in drywall/prop dust" over everything else.

The first one is not even of the grips.

The rear cap screw has -something- caked into it, and I don't know why wax would be in there. Shocked

The other is a macro lens shot of the grip pattern that clearly shows, to my eyes, that this is a caked in dust.

Wax occured to me, but I don't think they waxed these grips. It's just a hunch, but I think they just cast these in a smooth glossy resin, and I believe the pattern was cast in, not cut in.

Also, the scope knob on the right side has some white stuff caked into it as well, that to me just looked like white dust.

Part of the reason I feel this way is because I shot a movie years ago where one of our guys got thrown through drywall multiple times, holding a colt python. By the end of the shoot, the checkering in the grips had been pressed with drywall dust by the palm side of his hand, and it was brighter in the checkering of the right hand palm side, like it is on the blaster here. The white stuff is brighter on one side than the other.

There is also the visual evidence that the gun was in scenes with busted up drywall, pulled through a dusty busted hole, and the very fine prop dust used in all movies (that has a particular name I can't remember right now) was all over everything.

We have never heard mention that the grips were waxed, or cut by hand or machine.

But you know, I'd love to hear Karl chime in, since he held it in person. Perhaps he knows for sure!!

Or, Karl, do you have a more educated theory than all of us??
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very convincing points Noeland. I do wonder why there isn't more of it elsewhere in the gun though. I do suppose they would have had to clean out the working parts thoroughly though.

Andy
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: THANKS SO MUCH! Reply with quote

Guys,

Thanks for the excellent replies! I am getting great information and photo evidence here to balance out possible conclusions! I thank all of you and keep the posts coming!

The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a rubber stunt that got pulled through the wall? Or are you talking about when Roy hands it back to him and Deckard pulls his hand out of the wall?

Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a rubber stunt that Ford is holding when Hauer initialy punches through and grabs him, but Batty handles the hero pistol covered in dust (he even tucks it under his arm) and Ford fires the hero gun into the punched out hole, and there is a lot of dust thrown about.

Multiple takes, different angles, maybe different scenerios involving the gun and the drywall probably created a lot of residue on the gun, and the handlers.

It's just a theory.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do we know if that sequence was shot before the scene with him and Rachael in his apartment after her retires Leon?

I think there's one shot there where you can see the checkering on the grips, be interesting to see if its visible there or not.

Of course the next question we'll be asking ourselves is how do we go about replicating this effect on our props?

panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Material To Replicate The "Plaster/Drywall" Effect Reply with quote

The Loyalizer said;

"Of course the next question we'll be asking ourselves is how do we go about replicating this effect on our props?"

Great question, and I and the craftsman that is building my prop are trying to figure this out. Drywall that is wet rubbed into the diamond pattern on the grips and the excess rubbed away so too keep it in the diamond pattern only? Maybe work? Plaster when wet may be too gooey? Dry flower was tried, looked pretty dang good, yet it came right off, and that is not workable for us.

If anyone has any ideas please let us know as "inquiring minds want to know"!

Thanks guys!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using a pair of spare PKD grips to scratch inside the pattern and it actually looks pretty close. When magnified it even looks like material deep inside the cracks. I tried taking pics, but they don't seem to show it too well. The drawback would be is if you don't like the look, you probably won't be able to remove it.

As far as using plaster, or plaster of paris, and idea would be to wet the inside of the pattern and then sprinkle the dry plaster powder on top. Most of the dry stuff would just blow off after you let it harden. the deeper stuff would stay and the rest could be wiped off. If it doesn't work it could be washed and brushed out.

Andy
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Deckards "Drywall/Plaster" Covered Jacket Arms. Reply with quote

Speaking of drywall and plaster. Deckards "drywall/plaster" covered jacket arms. I am assuming that is what is seen on the jacket originating from the scene being talked about in regards to the Worldcon hero prop grips?

Thanks.

The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the screw on the back of the bolt assembly in the worldcon pics looks caked wth something the same color as the stuff in the grips. I think Noeland may be on the right track with the plaster dust or fullers earth or whatever they used on set.

My apologies for any typos here, I;ve been being 'screen accurate' with the JWB bottle prop this evening

Helder22
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I think I know what that white stuff is. Ive seen it before and normally I hate it Very Happy

There is no way that that gunk is from any scene in the movie. Its too evenly applied. Just plaster dust falling would never fall into the grooves like that.

Now, notice how shiny and smooth those grips are? Thats because I think they were polished with some kind of paste to make them shine, like the stuff used to polish cars. Then they wiped it of they could not get it out of the grooves! I know, because I've personally spent HOURS trying to get paste out of similar grooves with a toothpick. It SUCKS.
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helder22,

THANK YOU! I think this mystery may have just been solved! Given that i have questioned why there is none of this "material" built up anywhere else on the worldcon hero prop grooves and crevices and only seen on the diamond/checkered pattern on the grips.

Question for you, to imitate this look, what would you use that would not damage the grips and bond and harden into the crevices within the diamond/checkered pattern on the replica we are working on?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: