FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Aging The Amber/Orange Grips On A BR Replica Model Kit? HELP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helder22
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That a tough question. The only way for me to find out is fro me to get some polishing compound and try it out on my R. Coyle Blaster's grips. If it messes them up .......... well, I would not be happy Laughing
I imagine most polishing compounds would work pretty much the same way though. Why, even white toothpaste would work I guess.
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toothpaste i will have to pass on. I prefer my gun to not smell "minty and fresh" Shocked !

Seriously though, your opinion on the grips to me is the most logical and makes the most sense when i take all other things that show and does not show on the worldcon hero prop into consideration. I was never sold 100% on the plaster/drywall idea for reasons i posted and what you have said. I am really feeling good about your idea. Also on top of that, something to get to bond and dry and stay bonded into the checkered pattern would most likely be a product along the lines you have mentioned. To imitate that look it would require going VERY VERY light with a product on the checkered areas and going VERY VERY easy, because once that stuff is embedded in, i would think it would be very unpleasant trying to get it back out (as you pointed out).

Thanks again!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, very logical and quite likely. It looks as if the grips and the frame and been repeatedly ground down to fit each other and to adjust the shape (i.e. the taper on the back of the grip that fits to the butt plate). Much polishing would have been needed to have been done.

I also believe these are the master grips, because they fit so well. All the casts of it I have seen, even those from the stunts seem shrunken and ill fitting, as well as bubbled to a degree. Not to mention mishapen in spots and uneven in color in some cases. These look nearly perfect as if they were cut from acrylic. I do not know the technology in casting clear resin as it stood in these times, but much of the screen used stuff from that period looks rather poor.

Andy
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's called wax. Very Happy

Helder22 wrote:
Guys I think I know what that white stuff is. Ive seen it before and normally I hate it Very Happy

There is no way that that gunk is from any scene in the movie. Its too evenly applied. Just plaster dust falling would never fall into the grooves like that.

Now, notice how shiny and smooth those grips are? Thats because I think they were polished with some kind of paste to make them shine, like the stuff used to polish cars. Then they wiped it of they could not get it out of the grooves! I know, because I've personally spent HOURS trying to get paste out of similar grooves with a toothpick. It SUCKS.
drmcoy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI -- on the recent build I did featured in another thread, I used acrylic paint to weather the grips -- an off-white color called DIRTY WHITE from hobby shop. Brushed it between grooves and then quickly wiped off from surface leaving it in grooves. The final result very closely matches the waxy residue on WC prop.

If you try to do this yourself, you can water down your brush before dipping in paint to create more of a paint wash and not 100% paint -- makes it easier to wipe away.
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drmcoy wrote:
FYI -- on the recent build I did featured in another thread, I used acrylic paint to weather the grips -- an off-white color called DIRTY WHITE from hobby shop. Brushed it between grooves and then quickly wiped off from surface leaving it in grooves. The final result very closely matches the waxy residue on WC prop.

If you try to do this yourself, you can water down your brush before dipping in paint to create more of a paint wash and not 100% paint -- makes it easier to wipe away.

Thanks for posting.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did do some experiments with scratching the inside of the groves to simulate the initial cutting of the pattern, and it looks extremely close to what is seen in the WC pics. It gives the appearance of a material deep inside the pattern grooves. It also matches color and opacity pretty well. Unfortunately my camera has not been able to take pics that close without being completely blurry.

I am beginning to lean back toward that theory because if it were wax or another substance it would not be so evenly distributed throughout the grip pattern. It would likely have areas of greater accumulation. Also the sharp edge of the outside of the grip pattern makes me think these are the original grips cut from acrylic. They fit way too perfectly and are way too clear, dense, and evenly colored.

Of course there is also likely some polish in there as well since the grip had to be polished and the rougher inside of the grove would hold on to it better. I guess that means I think it is a combination of both theories.

Andy
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the way the grips on the real one look like glass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: