FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Deckard's Personal VidPhon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other shot is very dark.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics...left corner jutting more is probably the way the hand-held device is craddled...even trying to compare the movie pic with mine is that the angles are somewhat different.

Look at the Bic tray (the side facing the operator) it's at another angle and showing more "side" than my pic. They could've transformed the top again if they've wanted to, but very unlikely...I mean it's supposed to be a mock-up; generaly (unless they're really good) these don't end up being filmed, or in this case, maybe it was good enough for a back-ground shot and certainly not for a hero shot.

I asked the owner if I could post more pics; still no answer from him Crying or Very sad (I think I shot 21 pics).
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus,
I am having some kind of brain freeze. Could you tell me how you trimmed down your bic tray?

Also could you tell me what kind of putty/filler you use? It sure came out smooth.

Thanks

Tom

kurtyboy wrote:
Pain is good for honing those prop finishing skills!

I couldn't find a smaller battery holder with switch for AAAs, so I made one. It'll have nice rounded edges when it's finished. I also made the detail mount smaller.

Old on the left, new on the right. It could actually do with being made a lot shorter still so it's more square shaped. That'll really need a lot of doing. Hmmm....

joberg wrote:
Repeat after me: pain is good, 'specially for the sake of accuracy Very Happy
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a hacksaw for most of the cutting and a sharp hobby knife for the sides, then filed the edges.

I use car body filler for all my needs (resin, fiberglass, etc). It leaves a rough finish so lots of sanding and usually several further applications to get it really perfect.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_189482_langId_-1_categoryId_165625

I'm sure you can get something identical over there.

jameth wrote:
Marcus,
I am having some kind of brain freeze. Could you tell me how you trimmed down your bic tray?

Also could you tell me what kind of putty/filler you use? It sure came out smooth.

Thanks

Tom
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That is what I use as well. Bondo car filler and/or a good puddy. But like you said lots of sanding and re-filling, more sanding, etc. I was hoping you had found something better.

Thanks

kurtyboy wrote:
I used a hacksaw for most of the cutting and a sharp hobby knife for the sides, then filed the edges.

I use car body filler for all my needs (resin, fiberglass, etc). It leaves a rough finish so lots of sanding and usually several further applications to get it really perfect.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_189482_langId_-1_categoryId_165625

I'm sure you can get something identical over there.

jameth wrote:
Marcus,

Thanks

Tom
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what about those red lights on the new phone? Looks like a 10mm LED to me (previously I thought it might be a red plastic lens).

I've been looking but haven't been able to find any panel mount bezels even close. Any luck anyone?
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with the different angle I think that the BIC tray sticks out a lot further at the back of the new phone. You can see a lot more of the upper left edge of the Contempra on it.

Uggh... There is no room for the Panaview bulb holder behind the receiver on my own phone unless I tear it apart and move the BIC tray back. Confused
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're right about the Bic tray...too long at the rear Confused By the way, these "light bulbs" were tinted red. I fail to see the Panaview back on the movie pic.
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denitely light bulbs with elements inside and not large LEDs?

joberg wrote:
Yes, you're right about the Bic tray...too long at the rear Confused By the way, these "light bulbs" were tinted red. I fail to see the Panaview back on the movie pic.
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, which Panaview parts are used as greeblies on top of the screen part? The bulb holder behind the receiver is obvious, but I couldn't recognize any other Panaview parts.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that they used one piece of the phone inside the Panaview top part (on top of main box with the screen)...Jameth used the same piece on top of his phone and his is also heavily transformed.
No big LED as I recall, just a red "bulb" with 4 prongs and a thin base.
Same kind of red "bulb" on the "intercom" piece also.
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do recognize the Contempra hang-up 'fin' on top of the screen, but earlier you also said that, "...parts of the screen-view for greeblies on top and at the back also".

joberg wrote:
It seems that they used one piece of the phone inside the Panaview top part (on top of main box with the screen)...Jameth used the same piece on top of his phone and his is also heavily transformed.
No big LED as I recall, just a red "bulb" with 4 prongs and a thin base.
Same kind of red "bulb" on the "intercom" piece also.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the whole top is from the Panaview as well as the back. Those are the ''greeblies" I was talking about...should've said parts and not greeblies.
The only greeblie I recognize on the screen box is the fin from the inside of the Contempra wich has been transformed. Other greeblies on top: the light housing (left), some sort of a button (right). Unknown greeblie between the light and the fin as well as the back of the Panaview top.
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! I see it now. Looked like a 3 1/2" disk drive at the back! Razz

I made more modifications to my top detail. Finished my custom made battery holder and Joberg style greeblies. The switch will be mounted in the slot I cut out on top of the right hand piece. Still a little too long (maybe time to change to smaller batteries... oh but the pain...) but much better.

Thinking of modifying the hairdryer nozzle too after seeing how they modified the one on the mystery phone. Also got several vintage camera lenses that would work nicely.

New on the right:

joberg wrote:
Yes, the whole top is from the Panaview as well as the back. Those are the ''greeblies" I was talking about...should've said parts and not greeblies.
The only greeblie I recognize on the screen box is the fin from the inside of the Contempra wich has been transformed. Other greeblies on top: the light housing (left), some sort of a button (right). Unknown greeblie between the light and the fin as well as the back of the Panaview top.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far Cool ...funny story: I was looking at the comic book edition of BR and noticed that a lot of details were present in those drawings. I wonder if the artist had a lot of access to either pics or other material. For example: in one drawing you see clearly the same kind of greeblies Fred and you put on the Vid-Phone...or the V.K machine case is exactly like the one in the pics Nick Daring showed us Shocked
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With some of these comics you can tell the artists used film stills. A lot of the images in the comic are straight out of the movie.

joberg wrote:
Looking good so far Cool ...funny story: I was looking at the comic book edition of BR and noticed that a lot of details were present in those drawings. I wonder if the artist had a lot of access to either pics or other material. For example: in one drawing you see clearly the same kind of greeblies Fred and you put on the Vid-Phone...or the V.K machine case is exactly like the one in the pics Nick Daring showed us Shocked
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, can't believe so many things happended in this thread while I was away for Christmas !!!

Shocked

Hats off to KurtyB for his WIP photos and JB for his pics !!!

Cool

OK, must read all these posts with great attention now...

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eager to see what you think about that Vid-Phone prop Fred.
Marcus also posted the pics on the RPF (screen-used props section)
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pics that Nick Daring showed actually came from Marvel, and were used in making the comic version. The movie had not been completed at the time the comic version was made so they had to work from a combination of rough cuts, stills, and scripts.

One thing I noticed on the new possible screen made VK are the red bubbles look a lot like ones from toy police/fire vehicles from the 70's and earlier. Could be a fun search to ID more accurately Wink

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V.K. or the Vid-Phone Andy Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 13 of 17

Jump to: