FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Deckard's Personal VidPhon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GKVfx at The RPF posted this.

http://www.therpf.com/f45/blade-runner-vidphon-136142/#post2075073

Originally Posted by GKvfx
Further complicating this is the fact that there was a another group of prop guys on the film besides the ones on the studio lot. And, on top of that, some of the guys at EEG (the VFX facility) built props too.

In talking to them specifically about this Vid-Phone, none of them remember it as their handiwork, though they acknowledge that it does have the stylings familiar to BR props. Further, they both say that many of the props they worked on were last minute requests and done in two hours using a big box of junk that they picked up at Apex or C&H. The VK took a little longer (3 days), though it was a rush job. The big Vid-Phon (the one Deckard uses to call Rachel) was planned out because it required fairly complicated electronics and they had to build multiple copies. But the stuff we see in the Spinner (that overhead rack) and some of the other gizmos were, literally, thrown together on the fly.

Gene

PS - (Isn't there a gizmo like this visible in the Leon interrogation scene that opens the film?)
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the owner told me first was that that Vid-Phone was a mock-up first, then probably transformed to serve as the one in the bathroom...all conjecture of course.
It's great that Gene has put some valuable insight into the building of the props seen in BR and that it could be, and I underline could be, a genuine prop.

Btw, I'm still waiting for an answer as to post more pics of that prop (it's been 2 days now Sad ).
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some serious reservations about it too the more I look at it. The grey primer looks too good/new except for where it is rubbed off. Primer will usually show a ton of marks over time, just from touching it that would turn into shinier spots, as well as transfer of other colors that just even touch it. It also lacks any dust or grime that I always seem to see in the older props, just from the shop alone where they are made. If this was a prototype it would have been sitting in the dusty shop and would be hard to clean off from the primer especially. To keep it this clean it would have had to have been bagged immediately after making, and that would have kept it from getting scratched up as well. Like was pointed out at the RPF, the scratches look almost intentional (i.e. done with sandpaper). if I had to bet, I would say this is recently made model trying to look vintage.

Andy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading all the previous posts and looking closely at the pics JB posted I have a feeling this could be something authentic...

Mainly because :

The hair dryer looks vintage.
Looks at the way the handle connects to the body, and the fact it's square. It's a design from the late 70's / early 80's...
(I desperately looked for something like this fro months while making my VidPhon and couldn't find even one on eBay)
The back of the body looks 100% similar to the one seen in the interrogation room.

Details like the lens inside the hair dryer nozzle, the wires stuck here and there, most of the greeblies that come from the Contempra give me the feeling it was built in a hurry, with what the person who made it had in hand. Nothing elaborated here, it's a rough of what a VidPhon could later look like... Nothing more, nothing less.
This to say I think it's a prototype that helped define the final shape and building options of the props that ultimately made it on screen.
(the lack of calculator in front of the slide viewer could be explained this way : It was decided later this area needed more detailing, with something like a second keypad. Same thing for the back of the slide viewer area, with a simpler and more fluid shape on the screenused phone)

Last but not least, the conversion idea for a mural VidPhon... With bother to add this kind of option on a fake ? I wouldn't have even thought about it. The primer simply erased the differences between parts used to build this thing and it stood like this because it was all that was needed for a presentation to the production designer. It would also explain why most of the final props ended being painted grey... They kept the color of the primered prototype because it looked good in their book.

Fred

PS : for the record, this was my 2019th post !

Cool
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to think it is a non-screen used prototype.

But I wouldn't put any weight on the way the hairdryer handle connects to the body; the hinge is the complete opposite to the other ones seen on screen.

And maybe it's not grey primer but grey paint used without a primer - explaining why so much of it rubbed off LOL!

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
After reading all the previous posts and looking closely at the pics JB posted I have a feeling this could be something authentic...

Mainly because :

The hair dryer looks vintage.
Looks at the way the handle connects to the body, and the fact it's square. It's a design from the late 70's / early 80's...
(I desperately looked for something like this fro months while making my VidPhon and couldn't find even one on eBay)
The back of the body looks 100% similar to the one seen in the interrogation room.

Details like the lens inside the hair dryer nozzle, the wires stuck here and there, most of the greeblies that come from the Contempra give me the feeling it was built in a hurry, with what the person who made it had in hand. Nothing elaborated here, it's a rough of what a VidPhon could later look like... Nothing more, nothing less.
This to say I think it's a prototype that helped define the final shape and building options of the props that ultimately made it on screen.
(the lack of calculator in front of the slide viewer could be explained this way : It was decided later this area needed more detailing, with something like a second keypad. Same thing for the back of the slide viewer area, with a simpler and more fluid shape on the screenused phone)

Last but not least, the conversion idea for a mural VidPhon... With bother to add this kind of option on a fake ? I wouldn't have even thought about it. The primer simply erased the differences between parts used to build this thing and it stood like this because it was all that was needed for a presentation to the production designer. It would also explain why most of the final props ended being painted grey... They kept the color of the primered prototype because it looked good in their book.

Fred

PS : for the record, this was my 2019th post !

Cool
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come accross numerous similar hair dryers at thrift stores here on almost a regular basis, as well as garage sales. They don't seem to have enough resale value to make it onto Ebay as regularly. I am just holding out for one that is in my mind a perfect fit. Wink

Also the paint is rubbed, sanded and scratched off, and not flaking off as it would if it where the wrong paint on the phone. It is also in weird spots that would not necessarily get any wear, as on inside edges. Regardless it being a primer or not, it is still a flat finish, and would show different wear. It should also be much filthier, just like all the other stuff that was left over from that movie. I will see if I can find other period prop and mock up pictures to show what I am talking about.

I am not 100% sure, but my spidey sense is tingling pretty badly. I also feel that this prop is made well enough that if it was around at the time it would have been used on set in the background somewhere. If it were a non-screen used prototype it also would not have been shown any respect hardly at all, and would likely be broken, and much more worn and filthy.

Andy
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But which style of hairdryer are you holding out for? One with a hinge that matches the screen used phones, or one that matches the new phone? On The screen used phones the handle overlaps the body of the hairdryer, but on the new phone the body overlaps the handle.

andy wrote:
I have come accross numerous similar hair dryers at thrift stores here on almost a regular basis, as well as garage sales. They don't seem to have enough resale value to make it onto Ebay as regularly. I am just holding out for one that is in my mind a perfect fit. Wink

Also the paint is rubbed, sanded and scratched off, and not flaking off as it would if it where the wrong paint on the phone. It is also in weird spots that would not necessarily get any wear, as on inside edges. Regardless it being a primer or not, it is still a flat finish, and would show different wear. It should also be much filthier, just like all the other stuff that was left over from that movie. I will see if I can find other period prop and mock up pictures to show what I am talking about.

I am not 100% sure, but my spidey sense is tingling pretty badly. I also feel that this prop is made well enough that if it was around at the time it would have been used on set in the background somewhere. If it were a non-screen used prototype it also would not have been shown any respect hardly at all, and would likely be broken, and much more worn and filthy.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I could tell (remember, I didn't handle the prop Sad ) it seems like grey paint and not primer. I think Andy is right: primer tend to be more fragile then paint and this prop doesn't show that wear and tear of a primer. I did see scratches, flake and, as everybody can see, the wear of using/handling something often.
I still think it's a fake nontheless, as I have explained before as far as screen-used prop...I'll have to re-examine the mock-up theory that Fred put forward.
Possible that it's an "in-between" prop not fully developed and in need of tweeking later on. Who knows?
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it's the complete opposite. Primer is not more fragile than paint. That's why we put it on first, as it adheres to the plastic better than paint does. Razz

joberg wrote:
As far as I could tell (remember, I didn't handle the prop Sad ) it seems like grey paint and not primer. I think Andy is right: primer tend to be more fragile then paint and this prop doesn't show that wear and tear of a primer. I did see scratches, flake and, as everybody can see, the wear of using/handling something often.
I still think it's a fake nontheless, as I have explained before as far as screen-used prop...I'll have to re-examine the mock-up theory that Fred put forward.
Possible that it's an "in-between" prop not fully developed and in need of tweeking later on. Who knows?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that, you're partly right about primer...the question is: what kind of primer and what kind of paint was used? I remember working in a work-shop in the late 80's and working with a wonderful, almost magical, paint.
Later did I learn that it was ladden with lead and was supposed to be thrown out a long time ago since these products were deemed hazardous to your health.

Today's primers/paint or paint with primer already mixed in, are different than the one we used 20 or 30 years ago; some are crap and some are very good and also the surface being painted matters as well.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a response from the owner:

"I would like to give a big thank you for your comments and your time looking at the prop. While I would've liked it to be the genuine article I'm glad to know that it will not be sold under false premise; my reputation and my name are dear to me and I would not jeopardize these under any circumstance.
Please, give my thanks and regards to the members of the RPF also; as for the rest of the pictures taken by Mr. Bergeret (aka "Joberg") we have agreed not to release them since they could not bring more details or info about the prop."

Well, here you go folks...he mentioned that he'll keep the Vid-Phone and since it was a gift, nothing is loss, nothing is gain.
I'm sure we'll have some more discussion about it in the days to come. Wink
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I email the owner after his final msg and asked him if I could get the reminder of the pics I took...I hope he'll agree
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still wasn't happy with the size of the top detail so I made it even smaller! Also went with a larger LED.

Much closer in size now, although I could probably lose the right hand part now after all that effort (and Joberg's help)!

The battery operated 'device' is removeable from the housing:

The underside is not pretty (and frankly, I'm amazed I even got it this good. Electronics are not my 'thing'...) but it works!

Big thanks again to Fred and Joberg for their help creating the greeblies.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Marcus; looking good for sure and closer to the pic Cool
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my latest Vidphone being built for one of our members. Using this pic I had to decide how many rows the bic tray should have. Obviously the five it comes with are to many. I had all five on my second one. Marcus has trimmed his to four rows and Fred has three. I think based on this pic of Deckard at the piano, the black phone behind him that is probably the same one on his desk, three rows seems to look correct. I took pics of all three for reference.

EDIT: Here it is...
[/quote]

Five rows:

Four rows:

Three rows:

Misc with three rows:

jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using this great pic from Marcus I did the following. Thought?????

[/quote]

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Jameth: the "piece of clear on the side of the Panaview" is simply the thickness of the plastic housing that hold said screen...so, just a reflection from the lighting.
I love the hairdryer you're using btw: keep up the good job
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Damn fine work!! I love it.
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen is now activated with the button on the camera (hairdryer). Holden on the line!

jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics not showing. Is it me???
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 14 of 17

Jump to: