FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
+ FREE + Deckard's Apartment Tile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Eagle!! Cheers bud.
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great display, Eagle. Thanks for sharing the file!
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one Eagle!
Bear
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much
repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle ROCKS !!!
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

repdetect wrote:
Eagle ROCKS !!!

I agree !!!

Many thanks for sharing this awesome file, Eagle !!!

You !!!
LA2019
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to Eagle !!

I gotta get some color for my printer now Razz

Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: + FREE + Deckard's Apartment Tile Reply with quote

Eagle wrote:

These are nice items and thanks for the download.

About 6 years ago I was SO intent on lining my entire flat/apartment with casts of the original tile but my place is quite small with low ceilings and the tiles are pretty thick. It would have made the place claustrophobically small. You seem to have hit on a fun compromise!
Eagle
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure, folks - just giving something back to this fine community. Smile

doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: I love the tile-- thanks Eagle-- shall we vac form some? Reply with quote

You know it would be a piece of cake to rig a quickie vac-former and make some 1:1 scale *dimensional* butyrate tiles. In the past I've cobbled a working vac-former in about 20 minutes to make a run of clear miniature car canopies for a friend. (All you need is a vacuum cleaner, small wooden box with a hole drilled in the side, foam core with holes punched in it for the top, modeling clay to pack the seal between box and vacuum cleaner hose, sawn masonite to hold the butyrate while you heat it, a hot plate, and of course your pattern piece.)

Now a 16 inch tile would be a scale up. Might need 4 hot plates for even heating, and go borrow someones higher output refrigeration vacuum pump. I'll do a quick check of pricing on white K&S butyrate sheets, and also check other cheaper sources. BTW I like butyrate best for vac-forming. Easy to work with.

Possible project for 2009? One possibility might be to make a master pattern, then ship it around to those with enough tech savvy to use it. Then you can turn your whole damn wall into.. whatever! BTW the actual design panels are in a Frank Lloyd Wright designed house in LA.

Or also just put together a how-to You Tube and let people do their own from scratch. All I know is that I don't think I want to get into something where money changes hands.

Something very helpful would be a movie accurate 3D wireframe rendering of a panel, taken from any of a number of movies where they appear, such as "Precious Find"-- anything *except* Blade Runner-- so I can get the depth/dimensions right without having to do it all myself.

doc

Last edited by doc3d on Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eagle
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also need deep pockets for when the lawers come a knockin'. I think that is what has always held this and other projects from taking flight.
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: I considered the copyright aspect... Reply with quote

I'm very aware of BR and copyright, believe me.

However, these wall tiles are not unique to Blade Runner. They appear in several films, and are actually part of the wall in a real building. They were not designed by Syd Mead. They were not designed for Blade Runner.

This is just the tile project. Has nothing to do with Blade Runner. Gee, maybe I should post this as off-topic...

doc
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation holds the tile design copyrights and enforces them from time to time.
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: FLW Reply with quote

I'd just edited my earlier post to clarify where they really came from. Has nothing to do with Blade Runner.

A friend of mine worked on "Precious Find" where the panels also appear, and tried to swipe a row of three... didn't make it.

What the hell, I'll fire off a letter to the FLW Foundation, and see what their terms are. Many of these organizations are remarkably *easy* to deal with.

doc
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Request for non-profit panel licensing sent to FLWF Reply with quote

Ok. It's done. I emailed a request to the FLW Foundation. Will report back.

doc
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, doc! Looking forward to hearing what comes back from the FLW Foundation.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blade Runner Partnership would have no problem with these being made, especially since they have no rights to them. They also seem very fan friendly when it comes to fan made stuff, as Jerry Perenchio said on the DVD set in 'Dangerous Days', "...You can't buy that type of publicity."

The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation has been infamously lawyer happy, but since Gary's tiles have been up on ebay a few times now without any issues, I see nothing wrong a "Fan Project" with these in any way.

Andy
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: My call also. Plus there's always plan B. Reply with quote

If the FLWF won't do some reasonable deal, then, well, I'm afraid there's no patent or copyright on the concept of a wall tile. Don't copy the FLWF tile, but design it oneself in a manner that is pleasing to the eye.

The more I think about this, the more I'm sort of moving towards the idea of a draw vacform mold. E.g. make the pattern. Texture it so it looks like ceramic or stone, and keep it free of undercuts. Pour Hydrocal over it and make a negative mold. Drill it here and there for the vac pull, and pull the butyrate panel *into* it. This way, you can preserve surface texturing. The drawbacks are reduced mold life, because hydrocal draw molding is basically a plaster of paris on steroids mold, and also having to make a flexible urethane intermold for the hydrocal pour.

On the other hand, one could do an endlessly reusable wooden pattern standard pull mold, which would take a couple of hours to make, then use an airgun and shoot texturing on it after the cast... I'm still noodling on this, obviously. Need to make a few small quickie draw molds and check hydrocal lifespan... next year on this, but first quarter for sure.

Yeah, I do know a little bit about molding and casting... in another life (Brennschluss Group) I did the 1/6 scale Man from Planet X kit you can still see in Terry Webb's book, "The Garage Kit that Ate My Wallet", 2nd edition (only the 2nd edition). The vac mold pattern for the space helmet was a royal pain in the butt. I only made a few, then destroyed the molds (which is why original kits are now worth a zillion dollars), because what legal research indicated was public domain *may* possibly be owned by Turner. I don't knowingly violate copyright. I have purchased licensing for a number of projects.
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at the FLW piece, and have it figured out. All this thing is is a bunch of picture frames nailed on top of each other asymetrically and then squared off, and a mold made. A totally non-proprietary process as long as one doesn't call it Blade Runner (tm) or FLW (tm). With a planer to shrink the depth of suitable Goodwill acquired frames, a bit of rabbit, a bit of dado, a few tequila rapidos, etc., what I'll make will be an absolutely unique item. Don't need no stinkin' license.

Guess I need to contact FLWF and tell 'em (voice of Lily Tomlin) "Never mind..."

doc

Last edited by doc3d on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you may consider keeping it low on the radar and keep it true to the design. A soft voice gets many things done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: