FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
CHIPPING THE AMBER GRIP TO MIMIC WORLDCON HEROPROP DAMAGE?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: CHIPPING THE AMBER GRIP TO MIMIC WORLDCON HEROPROP DAMAGE? Reply with quote

Hello,

To further mimic the WC heroprop and all its "perks and personality" including damage to the prop, i want to attempt to take the corner off of the grip on my SIDKIT. I am contemplating ways to do that, one is to take off the grip and carefully sand down with fine grain sandpaper approx the angle and look of the damaged corner of WC heroprop. I believe that will work as i am going gentle on the grip so to avoid massive splintering and cracking (i would then be in trouble)! I would than most likely take a very sharp x-acto blade and fine tune the area after sanding. Issue i see happening, the chipped/cut corner will most likely turn opaque!? My option would be to have to paint it so it is not a garish opaque color. I figure black would be my best option to blend it in best i can.

These are my ideas and i am posting here for anybody else that has a possible different and better way to pull this off without plastic all over the place. With SIDKITS website down/gone i cannot get a replacement grip if i screw this up. Any tips and advise is MOST welcome!

Thank you!

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please understand what I talked about before, and know that the chip is still there. It is glued in place and is more transparent and invisible because of the glue. I think you could mimic it by scratching in the cracks and paint the back of the piece black directly on the grip itself. No need to ruin the grip by an accident.

Andy
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Please understand what I talked about before, and know that the chip is still there. It is glued in place and is more transparent and invisible because of the glue. I think you could mimic it by scratching in the cracks and paint the back of the piece black directly on the grip itself. No need to ruin the grip by an accident.

Andy

The other side of the grip frame where the other amber grip is has had the top piece glued back on. Are you sure this side (as per my posted images) has also had the piece glued back on? I am going by reflections and where they start and where they end of the amber grip in trying to determine if the chipped piece is actually even there?

I know, we are back to the grips again. First the grip frame and the black paint question, now the chip. I am not trying to kick around a dead horse, i am just looking for multiple opinions instead of only my opinion as i value others thoughts on this subject. Well i figure this is what this forum is for, debating and discussing this holy grail of Blade Runner props and to many the holy grail of all sci-fi props!

I just want to make sure that any thing that i plan to do to my SIDKIT is the right thing to do, not the wrong thing and end up making a tragic mistake.

Photo i am posting of opposite side amber grip was originally posted by drmcoy in another thread. It shows where this side has been glued back on...i am assuming this side was also chipped off and piece glued back on as there is discussion of it elsewhere. If i am totaly wrong on this please advise.

Thanks.

Helder22
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grip on the picture above has not been cracked and glued back on . It hasnt been broken at all. Its just pressed onto the black paint so hard its causing an optical effect. I know because mine does exactly the same thing when I tighten the screw too much . EXACTLY. trust me.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with helder. Either it is the paint which I pointed out before, or if it is glue they glued it to prevent it from cracking like the opposite side. The reflections on the cracked side show that the piece is there, but it may be missing a small shard in between.

Andy
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

So now i know that side has not been snapped off and put back on. I thought it looked way to clean for being something possibly glued back on. The pressing down so tight at that screw area makes complete sense as that is what would cause the black to be dominate in that area as pointed out.
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: WC HP Grip Chip Photo Evidence. Glued AND Missing! Reply with quote

Andy,

After studying more photos as per the ones i am posting here, you are correct! There is surely a piece glued back on, and also there is a piece missing. For me to replicate that would be very hard!

Thanks.

Helder22
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are able to determine when the damage happened, it might be a bad idea even to consider copying it. For all we know that chip (and any other blemishes) might have happened after filming. Replicating the gun as it is now, decades after it was used in filming is unwise to say the least.
It is obvious to me that that gun has been severely neglected over the years. I doubt that the gun looked anything liked that during filming, it probably looked much much newer.
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helder22 wrote:
Unless you are able to determine when the damage happened, it might be a bad idea even to consider copying it. For all we know that chip (and any other blemishes) might have happened after filming. Replicating the gun as it is now, decades after it was used in filming is unwise to say the least.
It is obvious to me that that gun has been severely neglected over the years. I doubt that the gun looked anything liked that during filming, it probably looked much much newer.

I was thinking the same thing. The rust on the WC heroprop now would be because of 25 years of neglect to simply put gun oil on the prop to keep the steel from rusting. Sadly the heroprop is being eaten alive by that rust, what a waste. All the wear and tear on the WC heroprop also IMO would not be that severe in the film, i mean think about it, what type of person especially a police officer (Deckard) would allow that type of damage to be done to there firearm? Even though it is a movie and non reality, yet still i do not think that the prop guy would wear and tear the crap out of the gun that badly for the camera! It would not make sense! The "grip chip" as i call it, could as you said very well be from someone dropping it over 25 years of fiddling with it. That would be a drop that would make your heart skip a beat and time come to a stand still!!! This is why when we did my SIDKIT, we went for a light aging/weathering look. Kind of WC, kind of screen used. I feel i hit a mediated place between the two extremes.

I am mainly interested in replicating the "grip chip" just for the fact of i like taking things to a level that is usually not gone too. Something new, a challenge! Wink

Thanks.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the broken chip can be seen in the movie, right before Deckard's hand is pulled through the wall at Sebastian's by Roy. Of course it looks like the hero prop was replaced with a stunt at that time since you can see the seam the stunt casts had along the top of the gun. So very possibly another set of grips all together. The piece is completely missing too.

Andy

Last edited by andy on Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add more to this, you can see that the "chip" is there when the hero prop is handed back to Deckard (so is a lot of plaster dust in the grip pattern Smile). Also interesting to note is that the White wires are missing at this point even though they could be seen pretty clearly right before the scene of his hand being pulled through the hole in the wall.

This could mean a few different things. The scene of him getting the gun handed back to him was filmed before the scene of him along side the wall before that where we can see the wires (as it is in the worldcon), Or there is more than one hero, Or the wires were hidden somehow.

The chipped handle could have happened during this scene or several where we see the gun drop. The hero was dropped for sure when he is climbing the bookcase. It is also possible the crack happened when they tightened down too tight on the screw at that spot.

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I decided to go back and double check and sure enough, after Deckard drops the gun from the book shelf you can see that it looks like the chip is missing, exactly how it is on the worldcon (without the piece replaced yet). Sorry for some reason any of the Players I have on my laptop will not let me do screen caps.

I still think doing it without the chip is still the best Idea though. Just because it would be disastrous to make a mistake trying it.

Andy
drmcoy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that we can see that the corner piece is not missing entirely but was glued back on and there is a little "gouge" indentation left behind, one COULD replicate the gouge with a dremel tool -- take one of the very small drill bits -- the one that has spherical drill bit on tip) and chisel the gouge into the resin.

However, as interesting an idea this chip recreation is, I agree with Andy that it is not worth pursuing UNLESS you had a spare replacment grip, as even gouging the resin could cause the grip to crack and the screw might not be able to hold grip to grip frame.
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that sums up that mystery, the grip chip was done during filming, now i want to replicate it even more! Andy thanks for scrutinizing the film frames!

drmcoy, i do not have a dremel kit, but i have x-acto blades. I will have to ditch the idea of actually taking off a corner and putting it back on (WAY TO RISKY), BUT i can try to carefully remove that section out of it to still give it a damaged look. I feel carefully working it with continuous sharp x-acto blades will do the trick.

This has been proven now to be on film and happened during filming. I will give it some thought and work with it when i have a lot of time to sit with the gun and figure it all out. If i do something i will post photos here. Keep our fingers crossed. Wink

Thanks.
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at those photos again, i realize the piece missing will be so very small it should not be a problem taking it down with x-acto blades. I just have to lay the grip flat and NOT bend it at all when i am cutting into it, if i do the plastic could very well snap in half! Shocked I may take on this project over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Thanks again!
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working in such a small area and working on those grips too boot can be dangerous ground to tread on, luckily the plastic is very dense and hard and one would really have to just beat on them or bend them to get them to just break appart.

Considering i was cutting into the grip to create that small chip and replicating cracking on such a small area and on the tip of the grip, i did best i could do to replicate the WC heroprop damage. I also painted the inner grip frames black, so to replicate the spot on the other grip top corner where the screw is clamping down tight to show the black paint pressing through, i went in and took care of that area also.

Thanks.

drmcoy
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW...looks like you nailed it. You, sir, are a braver man than I!

Nice work.

Now all you need are Harrison Ford's fingerprints on it!
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drmcoy wrote:
WOW...looks like you nailed it. You, sir, are a braver man than I!

Nice work.

Now all you need are Harrison Ford's fingerprints on it!

Thanks i appreciate it!

It is not perfect, but i did best i could while working in such a small area on such a potentially disastrous material. I am happy with it, which is good as it cannot be reversed! Shocked
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. I would be too afraid to do it myself.

Andy
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Looks good. I would be too afraid to do it myself.

Andy

What Andy said.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: