FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
WORLDCON SIDKIT NEW BUILD W/ BLACK PAINTED GRIP FRAMES.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: WORLDCON SIDKIT NEW BUILD W/ BLACK PAINTED GRIP FRAMES. Reply with quote

I had originally posted my new build here http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=1176&start=0 a few days ago. Since than i have been convinced through photo evidence that the inner and outer metal grip frame is black. I went back and removed the grips from my SIDKIT and painted the frames a gloss black, weathered them a tad and i have no regrets whatsoever! As i suspected it would happen, the amber grips took on a much deeper tone that i really like. The underlying black has helped remove any orange tinge that was evident before in the grip color. I am even happier now with this build and my next step is back to the serial number on the bulldog frame (still needing to know that 5th digit in the number before i can engrave)!

Here is a few photos of my kit now and a photo of the WC heroprop comparing the amber color of my kit grips and how very very close it comes to the WC heroprop grips. The residue buildup is also very close as the black painted frames even altered slightly the color of the residue simulation.

Thanks.

clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! You'll also need to replace those phillips screws with flat-head ones and switch out those hollow trigger pins for solid ones. Smile
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clutch wrote:
Looks good! You'll also need to replace those phillips screws with flat-head ones and switch out those hollow trigger pins for solid ones. Smile

Thanks! Are you talking about the screws i have circled?

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks Great.

I would also think about filling in the hole in the front of the outer grip with bondo and paint over it. At first glance though it looks like the real thing.

Andy
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Looks Great.

I would also think about filling in the hole in the front of the outer grip with bondo and paint over it. At first glance though it looks like the real thing.

Andy

Thanks! What hole do you mean? Please advise.

I am trying not to remove those grips anymore than i have to as i feel every time i remove them, there is a chance of stripping the screws/stripping the soft metal the screws go into. If the worst happens, i will not be able to secure the grips back on! Shocked

Thanks!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The really Big kidney shaped whole right behind the finger notches.

Andy
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it'll be more than just replacing screws if you want accuracy. You'd have to fill the bottom hole in back because it doesn't exist on the hero gun. Replace the screw above it with a steel-colored flathead screw. The screw toward the front needs to be replaced with a pin.

I filled the bottom hole on mine with solder. It almost turned into disaster, but I got it looking pretty decent. There's pics of it somewhere in here.

BTW, did you paint the inner grip black or chemically blacken it?
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
The really Big kidney shaped whole right behind the finger notches.

Andy

Thanks, that is the one i thought you were talking about, had to double check though. Wink
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clutch wrote:
Well, it'll be more than just replacing screws if you want accuracy. You'd have to fill the bottom hole in back because it doesn't exist on the hero gun. Replace the screw above it with a steel-colored flathead screw. The screw toward the front needs to be replaced with a pin.

I filled the bottom hole on mine with solder. It almost turned into disaster, but I got it looking pretty decent. There's pics of it somewhere in here.

BTW, did you paint the inner grip black or chemically blacken it?

You are correct, and i also notice the more i look at it, more and more little things could be done to improve it, by that i mean; wrong screws, screws not sunk deep enough, or too high etc... Still one of the most obvious missing things to me is the BD frame serial number.

I painted both grip frames with black paint. Through those grips i do not know how anyone would notice a difference.

Thanks.
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too got the impression that the grip frame inside there was painted black.

Taking the red plate out of the RGB photo shows the interior of the grip the best... it does seem that there's black below the zigzag there.

At Worldcon I tried to probe into the grips by firing the flash at an angle. These are spme of the better of those shots.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Panzerrune good work on the grip; that black paint makes it very accurate!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that the Japanese "Tomenosuke" version did NOT get right.

Andy
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:

Andy

That is the first thing i noticed on there blaster that was wrong. Weird that so many various kits i see are not correctly done when it comes to the grip frame. Well i learned from you Andy that the frame is black, no question on my end about it. Wink

Thanks.
panzerrune
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Yes Panzerrune good work on the grip; that black paint makes it very accurate!

Thanks!

Since those photos were taken, those grips have come off again a few times to do touch up work and do some fine detail modifications to the frame and the grips.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am glad I could help.

And thank you again Karl for those photos they are beautiful. It also makes me rethink my feeling about the grips being acrylic, they do look more like resin in those angles flash shots.

Andy
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:

Paint? Wink
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
And thank you again Karl for those photos they are beautiful. It also makes me rethink my feeling about the grips being acrylic, they do look more like resin in those angles flash shots.

You're welcome. But how could you tell between resin and acrylic? The grips have bubbles in them obviously, so they were definitely cast... and they have scratches on them, so it's a hard durable material.

The grips are quite robust too, the thing really filled my hand. Just way thick.

Hard, very transparent (not cloudy at all), glossy, high index of refraction. You might be able to match the material by how clear it is and how severely it distorts images seen through it...

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bubbles in the pics above means it was probably poured instead of injection molded, or specifically cut from a block of acrylic which I had theorized. I found some similar looking and colored blocks and sheets of acrylic. The color and clarity of the material also reminds me very much of handles on screwdrivers, which are injection molded acrylic I believe.

I was veering away from Resin on the grips originally because of the look of the resin cast grips on the stunt versions of the gun like the one in the Seattle Sci-Fi Museum. Also the ones that Shapestorm had on Ebay that were screen-made.

Before you showed the pics above I had not seen any bubbles in the hero grips, at least not that clearly. I was not sure if it was flashback or crazing because of age.

Andy
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Looks Great.

Andy

I've notice that the tomenosuke tries to hide this kidney hole also. Though studying karls photos I cant make out if it is there or not. is there some sort of evidence suggesting that this hole is filled in?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kidney shaped hole in the Tomenosuke was put in there because they cast the grip outer frame, and a solid piece of metal would not cool evenly and would end up misshapen. The same goes for why Sid probably did it. Look at Karl's pics above. I had also posted pics showing no "kidney hole". The original outer grip frame was cut from a block of (aluminum I think?) and unless they were trying to reduce weight there would be no reason to cut it out. It is not a found part.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: