FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Help with a Microma Watch

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flecktarn92

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Help with a Microma Watch Reply with quote

I managed to buy a Microma watch a few months back for relatively cheap. The downside is its a bit scuffed up, the wrong color and has a replacement band. The light and LCD work but a few are burned out.

Has anyone here had any experience restoring and making Microma watches more screen accurate? I want to try and turn it black and get the right band first then fix the LCD.

This is a nice watch and I'd like to try and restore it for my Blade Runner costume as well as one that I could wear from time to time. Thanks![/url]
Bucky Cat
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find.

Is there a local watch shop near you? I live here in Los Angeles, wrong side of the map from you. However, there is a small, family business near me that does wonder with watches. You might check your neighborhood.

I have an old "turnip" watch I inherited. Took it in and asked if he could get it running. He said he works on just about everything. Gave me a quote. It was more than I wanted to spend but I've taken many of my wife's sports watches for batteries, repair and advice. He's top notch.

Just a thought. Or someone else might have an idea.

Keep us posted.

Ted.
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing with this idea myself:

Using Birchwood Casey Alu Black to blue the part of the watch that needs to be black....

I have no idea if it would work or how the result would be, so just a thought... The uneven surface of the watch would be tricky... You could try it on a tiny area on the back?

The inner black frame can easily be taken out and painted gold/yellowish like the original...

Most paintjobs I've seen on the outer frame haven't turned out that good...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any paint job should be done using an airbrush...more than that (spray-can) and you'll run into trouble.
As far as nicks and scratches, you could try experimenting with various dish scrubbers and try them on something similar to see if it works removing the scratches on your piece. (0000 steel wool might also work).
Good luck
white43
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has anyone here had any experience restoring and making Microma watches more screen accurate? I want to try and turn it black and get the right band first then fix the LCD.

SNAP!

I just won this on Ebay and was thinking all the same thing:

Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried bluing the golden MICROMA that I have.... Won't adhere. So much for that idea!

Seems like airbrush is the way to go as Joberg said...
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always do what the Microma factory did with theirs and have it electroplated black. Have a watch repairer take out the insides
(it just lifts out actually) the glass and buttons and your good to go. The gold band around the face comes off as well.

Best home method would be the airbrush or Tamiya satin black with a couple of light coats of satin clear to minimise scratching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: