FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Luke Skywalker lightsaber sells on eBay for $200k

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delmustator
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Luke Skywalker lightsaber sells on eBay for $200k Reply with quote

Dunno if anyone here saw this but the original “Hero” lightsaber used by Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker in both Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back sold today on eBay via Live Auction for $200,000.00!

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52933&item=260318684251

Some people got coin....
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it was a museum that got it cause the thought of even a very rich individual paying that much makes me nervous
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it the other day but didn't think anyone would bid on it. I hope a museum got it aswell.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the guys on the RPF are already disputing some of the details of the saber!? You'll have to put a second mortgage on your house to buy any real S.W. props in the years to come.
Delmustator
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no doubt that some people have spare coin to blow on stuff like this. $200K would pay for a ton of M2019 blasters (possibly including the actual Hero also).

I guess some collectors are living in another reality separate from the one I'm in..

IMO, iconic items such as Luke's lightsaber should be donated to places like the Smithsonian due to the cultural impact they had on our society.
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting question, how much the Deckard blaster would go for at auction.

Iconic Star Trek and Star Wars pieces have gone for up to a quarter-million.

The Deckard blaster is unique... but then again Blade Runner seems like les of a "cultural phenomenon" than Trek or Wars.

But could the Blaster fetch that kind of price? Sure I could see it.

- k
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that Richard Edlund is getting rid of a lot of props/models; tie-fighter, light saber, Death Star's surface, etc.
Guess he's laughing all the way to the bank...
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was thinking just what you could get for that money in terms of BR props
we have some precedents with the wardrobe, $8000.00 for the shirt etc.
The hero blaster would set a record for BR props, it and the bottle were the two things i had always wanted, as with many of us.
The one that gets me is that an entire spinner only sold for $55,000.
If i had the choice, i would take the spinner everyday of the week and twice on Sunday over the light saber.
If the hero Esper and VK machines were found i think they would generate the most interest, do these exist BTW?
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Ridley Scott order a bunch of the props tossed into the fire so they couldn't be reused in other films? Either they were destroyed, dismantled, or are sitting on some prop room shelf collecting dust and nobody has any idea what the thing is.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im hoping that someone involved had the foresight to rescue the VK and Esper machines from such a fate, even then they must have realised
the long term implacations and significance of their design.

If they have survived, maybe the people that have them dont want to let it be known for some legal reason, that would be a shame, we may never see them. In the doco, Ridley claims that he kept Deckards tie, keep a tie
and not the VK and case.......i know that people involved at such a level
arent really concerned about what happens to the props after compleation
but c`mon, is the VK not one of the dream toys for all prop geeks.

I really want to see the heros now. Very Happy
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it survived, and it was put back in the briefcase and its literally still in the case and nobody's found it, because its in a pile of other briefcases in the prop room.

I've always wanted to check out one of the big prop warehouses, see what all is just lying there collecting dust.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loyalizer wrote:

I've always wanted to check out one of the big prop warehouses, see what all is just lying there collecting dust.

That would be awesome. Imagine all the storys those props could tell.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that in the past those prop-rooms were indeed dusty places but not anymore. People in the industry are very aware of the value of props or any documents/photos, scripts/first drafts, set pieces, models, etc.
The list goes on and on. The internet, e-bay, the studios and auction houses are cashing in big time. Collectors and fans alike are fanning the flammes. I only have a few acquaintances working in the industry and some have told me that some of the sets are watched closely to make sure that when set pieces are to be destroyed they are actually being destroyed and that each and every prop is catalogued properly and that nothing disappears.
Alex T.
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is very very sad, a slap on the face of misery indeed. Don't forget we're talking about a pipe of aluminum and some plastic bits and knobs... God this sort of things make me lose faith on the human kind...
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Star Wars Props Reply with quote

As well as being a Blade Runner fan , I also have an extensive collection of Film & TV SCI-FI props costumes and models a number of which are from StarWars , I wouldn't part with them for all the tea in China I was lucky enough to have a relative who worked in the industry , now sadly deceased , but I have a number of original pieces mainly stunt costumes and props that I inherited, all have provenance and I know all are genuine, but to produce an item for a film like a lightsabre cost only about a £100 and Luke's was built from mostly pieces from a flash gun , a calculator , a plumbers merchants and a couple of wiper blades !! Yes a number were made and film used, I happen to have one of the Stunt sabre hilts , the true value is what collector's put on them to own and accquire a piece of film history at the time most of the items were 'skipped', that's thrown away for our American readers at the studios when the sets were struck , I know as I also got a couple of items pulled from that skip and what a horrible job that was I can tell you !!
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone got taken. Of all the pics of ESB sabers, none have the button tab (that little piece under the button) and none of them have the glass eye on the bottom. The hero saber had two red buttons, one on top and one on the bottom. The saber on Dagobah had one button on the bottom and nothing on top. This one is also missing the circuitboard connector strip that goes in the clamp and I don't see the linhof clamp/d-ring in back.

The Graflex body is chrome plated brass and the clamp is steel, not aluminum. The grips were extruded plastic believed to be guides for cabinets. The bubble strip was from an Exactra 20 calculator, but was not used for any of the ESB sabers. One more thing, none of the ANH sabers had notches cut into the grips. Smile

Here's my 'Dagobah' saber. Anybody wanna make me a six figure offer? Lol!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Non Blade Runner Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: