FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Doc's gun firing (sequential stills)

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Doc's gun firing (sequential stills) Reply with quote

When I looked at the digital video file I'd shot, the flash was actually there from firing blanks in the pistol, but the duration is only one frame (1/30 sec, I suppose...) Which is why I need to get a better pyro load. In any case, though you can't hear the bang it was loud enough to require ear plugs, which I was wearing. The weather here is freezing, with more snow on the way, so I bundled up in the "Gorbachev" style Astrakhan hat a buddy found in a Moscow flea market along with the greatcoat. Hooray for Russian surplus! The one thing those guys make better than anyone is cold weather gear.

Anyway here are a sequence of 6 frames, totally unretouched by Photoshop other than to convert them from mpeg frames to bmp to jpegs and size them down. You'll just have to think BANG!

Looking closely I can see a fair amount of debris ejected by the blast. I sure wouldn't want some clown anywhere near me on a movie set with an unplugged gun. Brandon Lee and Jon-Erik Hexum were two actors killed by "blanks" and many others have been injured.

Now, most of the gunfire gags are done optically, and for good reason.

doc

Last edited by doc3d on Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow doc,
A lot of people have made some wickedly authentic Blasters around here
but this is the only one that would test positive for GPR and have a smell
to die for.........well, you know what i mean Very Happy
You just need a microma watch on and id cast you in my remake
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You blinked Smile

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez Andy, I would blink too if I had such flash with my gun!
Doc! Dude what are you puttin' in your ammo? Man, easy with the magnesium
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ow! My ear!
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Quote:

Pinch more doc Very Happy
Uncanny...........

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Geez Andy, I would blink too if I had such flash with my gun!

I am sure most of us would, but we wouldn't know it unless we had photographic evidence of it. Just teasing Doc because he seems pretty cool.

Andy
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy and joberg wrote:
Quote:

Well, see, doc's been sneaking next door with his cordless dremel, where this guy parks his mag-wheeled muscle car... what the hell, he'll never miss a little Mg. Just kidding-- I feel I have to say this obvious disclaimer because some scifi people are crazed enough to take preposterous things literally. If you don't believe me, go to any Star Trek convention. Now, nobody be offended, ok? This ain't a Trekkie BBS, or I wouldn't be on it. I've read "The Physics of Star Trek" by physicist Lawrence Krauss and ST has nothing to do with firearms. In fact nothing remotely related to reality. When I first saw Blade Runner, I intellectually edited out the impossible stuff like star travel and suddenly the film scared the crap out of me. I felt like I was seeing the world my children would inherit.

Maybe doc should restudy the Ti based pyro formulary, with a little eye of newt and toe of frog, wool of bat, and tongue of dog thrown in... Very Happy

I actually had two short scripts (one running about 45 seconds and the other about a minute and a half) I'd planned to do, but the flash burst duration was too short to make the scene look good-- one frame just doesn't cut it for a movie-- and those damn plastic blanks kept jamming.

BTW I closely looked at the comparison scene offworld66 posted. It is uncanny, but also pretty scary. Not scary for me-- I'm under control with polycarbonate glasses and ear protection. However, that burst from Harrison Ford's gun does NOT look like cg work. I assume you noticed he has no eye protection at all? The shell around the Bulldog on the original prop WILL blow crap backwards-- it vents around the left rear side of the cylinder. If you worked on this film, someone, tell me he isn't really shooting that thing.

doc
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Doc, I find it scary too. It's possible that Mr. Ford is wearing earplug not seen because of the angle of the camera shot, but no eye protection with that kind of flash and a good possibility of having some crap coming out of those vents!? I mean it's not a Colt Navy from the Civil War but still freakin' scary!
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the early '80s, I'm pretty sure they went with the low tech solution of having him fire off blanks rather than doing any kind of optical effect. In fact I think the only time they were considering the use of optical effects for gunfire, was Leon's 'black hole' gun.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading somewhere that the flash from the movie gun was merely a powder flash (sulphur or magnesium based).

though was there footage of HF just standing there whilst they ignighted it in the barrel whilst the camera was rolling? I cant remember if I've seen that or not Confused
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it wasn't CGI, obviously. The muzzle flash is just a blank being fired. I never heard of them boosting the flash with anything, though I believe Phil and Rich speculated (before Karl's photos anyway) that the cylinder didn't turn on the hero gun, and it was only able to fire 1 round at a time.

But, I think that's been debunked now.

The danger of crap flying back depends on the blank, not the vents. The charter arms tend to send the unburned grains forward though. I've been showered with them many times behind the camera. In all that time, the actors never had any issues with blowback.

I've shot plenty of action scenes on MiniDV and muzzle flashes show up just fine, and should only be a few frames, or only 1 frame. If you have a full second of muzzle flash I think it's going to look very odd, and probably too long.

Still interested to see your results though.

And I don't know Joe personally, but he can take his time with return email, and it being the holidays, he might just be on vacation.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc,

Here is a close up of the Worldcon hero I thought you might like. It is the left Cylinder cover showing a hole hidden behind a screw close to where you put your hole as a gas release.

Andy
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a gap on the top of that side plate. It doesn't actually touch the steyr reciever.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read it in the paul m sammon book. they used a magnesium strip of some sort to produce the flare. no blanks were used. does anybody else remember reading this?
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sammon also wrote that the pistol was made from a flare gun. He's not a gun guy at all, and we know the hero gun is a real revolver, and based on the corrosion in the barrel, I'd say blanks were indeed used.

A magnesium strip? Is this even something that's made? Are you thinking of flash paper, or flash powder?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash paper is only used when even blanks could be dangerous due to the nature of the shot e.g. humans to close to gun=bad news!
The flash coming from the gun is not a Mg strip either.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if he said strip or powder, but it was basically mentioned in an interview with one of the crew. I probably couldn't find the segment if I tried, it's a big ol' book! Laughing

though whats bugging me is that I'm sure I've seen some sort of behind the scenes footage of harrison just standing in position and someone ignighting the front of the barrel letting off a pretty crap flash, most likely one of the out takes. however I could have imagined seeing this Confused
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash paper would not produce the flash pattern seen in offworld66's comparison shot, nor would flash cotton (e.g. nitrocellulose). Nor would magnesium ribbon which we used to play with in chem class. (Mg in its various forms was nearly as popular as making triodide or dropping lithium hydride rocks into toilets and then chucking in a match.)

Because film is subjected to so much filtering and image processing in post, I have to admit the color tones within the HF shooting scene baffle me. You can add all sorts of things to tweak the color of a flash (rem: I moonlighted fifteen years as a pyro crew chief-- public displays-- and we used to build some of our own shells, so I know a little about it. By no means an expert though.)

But it sure looks to me like that gun is firing a blank, and the blank has a fairly stiff load.

In the picture below, you can see the problems relating to a Bulldog with its cylinder shrouded, and also the fix I did on my gun to lose the cylinder/barrel gap released gasses. (The right side was no problem because I vented it around the bolt lever, the outfacing screw, and along the top.) The left side is another story. After a test fire, I drilled a vent hole to align with the barrel/cylinder gap. Maybe the cut around the screw in the original prop did the same function. But if you don't get rid of that gas burst, it's going to come out via the course of least resistance. And the back of the cylinder shroud has a large semi-circular gap. Any bit of crap that ended up between the cylinder and the shroud is quite likely to be blown backwards into the face of the shooter, plus the gasses...

doc

The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:
Sammon also wrote that the pistol was made from a flare gun. He's not a gun guy at all, and we know the hero gun is a real revolver, and based on the corrosion in the barrel, I'd say blanks were indeed used.

A magnesium strip? Is this even something that's made? Are you thinking of flash paper, or flash powder?

The only place I recall ever seeing a magnesium strip was in my high school science class. It was about the width of a roll of scotch tape, and rolled up around a spool looked like a ribbon of flat metal. It also burned way too fast when exposed to flame.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: