FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Cost benefit analysis

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Cost benefit analysis Reply with quote

Having checked the pics of the parts for this Worldcon gat, with some of the ABS still on the sprue, the castings, etc. Uhhh, jeez... considering the world economy and all, doesn't it seem a bit spendy for what you get? $1400 for a gun that won't shoot bullets, or $800+ for a gun kit that still won't shoot bullets? And with metal potmetal castings (or pewter, whatever) hung on a plastic frame?

Models and prop replicas are fun, and a lot of effort goes into making them-- don't get me wrong. But even the fabrication photos of some guy with a mini-metal lathe, etc. didn't really jam my circuits. I mean this is a gun that's already been done a zillion times, and you'll never really achieve perfection. Nothing is perfect. Never has been, never will be.

I don't want to get jumped in an alley outside Worldcon for expressing negativism, however... the whole thing has sort of this Ad captandum vulgus vibe for me.

Dunno know how much the guys behind this project value their time, but they have to be making enough for an all expenses covered year in Fiji, goldfish shoals nibbling at their toes and drinking fresh mango juice.

I suppose it just gets down to whatever pushes your buttons. And, to paraphrase Heinlein, if that's the case, then pull out the stops and wallow in it. But you could party down with some serious debauchery at Worldcon for that kind of dough.

Megan's BR clothes are a true deal. Ditto that BR whiskey bottle. And I lust for new stuff, like the VK project. But another gun?

doc (whose opinions are rarely humble, according to his wife)
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well... I cannot wait to read next.... Smile

In fact, I bought 3 COP 357 replicas and 4 Blasters... till now... and perhaps a new one before year ends.... Yeah.... Why? Pure nonsense? Not... Collectors have a rare mind about collecting... Watch my list. I have more editions of Final Cut and the rest of BR versions than anybody in the world.... I guess.... Same with DADoES book.... but... I'm still looking for a new one.... *EVER*. Blasters are also in my pending lists... but money stops me, of course... License plates... original ones... too... but... money again (and some kind collectors than don't will sell them... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy)...

Why a new blaster is less than a whisky bottle? Or a necktie? Or a 1/6 spinner replica? ANY replica will be imperfect... of course... it's a PROP!!!! Therefore... it's important to achieve perfection? I think not. I think the important thing here is going to perfection... do things better and better... and a complete collector will have a complete timeline process of a prop... like blaster...

A waste of time and money? Well, could be... but also is an evolution...

Sorry, my English is not so fluent to explain all I have in mind, but I think main idea is clear.

And now... the blaster masters will talk... Twisted Evil
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the things we carry out of dreams are as light as air, and sometimes they weigh in hefty.

I'm not trying to say that any action or non-action relating to collecting is right or wrong, which is why I included the Heinlein paraphrase. I should post a shot of the shelf above my workshop someday... there are things spanning a hundred years, and it's jam-packed.

My post was just expressing the way the vibes on the Worldcon blaster project hit me, mas o menos... an opinion, which is what these boards are about, 'eh?

doc
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would chalk it up to deep pockets and maybe not knowing about alternatives? The Japanese take their modeling pretty seriously though.
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *know* the Japanese take modeling seriously. Years ago I did a few projects with Yoshifumi Yamamoto (who I'm trying to re-establish contact with-- WHERE ARE YOU YOSHIFUMI!!!). I love his early TVC-15 resin Spinner model-- a model produced in the early resin days where the caster basically gave you a framework upon which to apply your own skill, not a ready to go Revell plastic kit. The thing had a ton of parts, bubbles that needed filling, and you had to go sort of Zen to really build it right. One of my all time favorite BR kits.

Modeling has changed, that's for sure. The Worldcon gun just gives me negative vibes, and I really don't have any way to logically justify that. It just is.

doc
drmcoy
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it certainly is a sweet looking version of the prop, but I, too, am a bit put off by the $1400 price tag.

Here's how I look at it -- is it $900 better than the SidKit? Is it $700 better than the Coyle?

I'm sure that those who bought one will say it is, but as much as I would love it, I can't seem to justify it for my collection unless I either won the lottery or it came down about 50% in price, neither of which is likely to happen anytime soon.

Have I spent big bucks on other equally frivolous items? Of course I have. This just won't be one of them.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lot of people that will bid up the hottest replicas on Ebay. The Coyle resin kit, his all metal kit, The Hartford models, and even Sidkits have sold for over $1000 on ebay. But as a new more accurate models comes out, these once high valued ones become much less valuable. This gun is the new most accurate and has set a new standard, but how long before a better model comes out? I can wait and buy a real gun with that money.

Andy
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doc3d wrote:

My post was just expressing the way the vibes on the Worldcon blaster project hit me, mas o menos... an opinion, which is what these boards are about, 'eh?

doc

Taken just as that Doc! Very Happy

"Questions..."

Who wanna another blaster?

Who want to pay a lot of money for it?

Well, is a matter of money or money is not the base to decide about a trivial item as a prop? Razz

"I've seen things... you people wont believe..."

Yeah. My close friends, looking at my shelves and *closed* boxes... cannot believe what I'm doing with my time and money.

The main question is to be happy with whatever we do. When I see other collectors pictures, plenty of blasters, plates, clothes and so on, I have strong feelings. Envy? Maybe... but not! My feelings fly in other direction... is fascination... not more...

I could agree with you about this new blaster kit. Yeah. And I agree too with Andy about value down other blasters if this one becomes *the* reference from now. But, I could be very happy having a Coyle and Sidkit blasters now, when Siderio seems to be missed and Coyle, almost... Some fetish here, I know... but a true feeling for a (crazy?) collector! Coyle and Sidkit models could be very unavailable from now...

In the other hand, all of these models and others are incredible in their existence. No one is licensed, but they come to live!

What I love of this forum is free talking about any point of our hobby. Well, free talk without flaming and so on! You know... I don't like "the pit" (great idea instead!).

Doc, you are fresh air here, IMHO. Questions ever opens new doors to explore...

Cool
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

95% of the guys who are interested in getting a BLADE RUNNER prop collection want to start by getting a damn blaster... (That's how I started my collection many years ago)

When they have one, I think that more than 70% don't buy anything else (or a Spinner model and some patches, maybe ?)

I think the blaster will always be the most pricey BR prop because that's where the mainstream interest for this movie props is... (and maybe because we're all little boys attracted by guns, although BR is MUCH MORE than this IMHO)

my 2 cents...

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
drmcoy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some pretty expensive Spinner models, too.

I have spent over $1000 for a replica prop before, but as much as I loved the prop, I can still say I felt weird spending so much on the item. But that's just me. I eventually sold it off in favor of a similar replica that cost 1/4 as much.

The Japanese blaster is indeed a VERY nice looking piece...my point is that the parts of it that appear more accurate (at least cosmetically) do not warrant the additional cost. And what is actually, more, accurate, on this piece? I can see that the barrel is -- the business end, at least, with more accurate shape to the tip (where bullet comes out). And the grip frame appears to be more accurate. But these are rather subtle upgrades. But perhaps there are more things I am overlooking.

I will admit that the finish on the built-up versions seems very nice, provided you prefer a pristine version of this prop.

Would I do handsprings if one was given to me as a gift? You betch'a.
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
95% of the guys who are interested in getting a BLADE RUNNER prop collection want to start by getting a damn blaster... (That's how I started my collection many years ago)

When they have one, I think that more than 70% don't buy anything else (or a Spinner model and some patches, maybe ?)

Interesting!

My very first BR prop was the Panasonic TV set and Recon-1 walkies... Blaster are unaffordable for me at starting point. Not for money, for the weird feelings about spending such amont of money in it. But... when you pay a bunch of bucks for a piece... all changes, IMHO. And then... blaster was only another one to add... (in money words).

1 more cent... Very Happy
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you're sayin' here Doc, it's a pricey item. Blasters tend to lean that way, which is why i was happy when i saw offworld produce something more affordable.

Some folks (not naming names here - me and Andy) just need to have every variation of the blaster they can get their hands on. For me, I truly enjoy seeing the different interpretations. Cost is always the barrier though, but i never felt the need to criticize anyone for charging what they want for their work. I have a great respect for it. As well as for folks who can afford such things.

Rich - for example - has been lambasted time and again for his prices, and I've always tried to back him up on that score. He can charge whatever the heck he wants to, y'know? I have a couple of his blasters, one was a gift, one I purchased.

I wasn't really surprised about the price on this one. Not everybody wants a blaster that can fire, and some folks can't legally have them.

But in the US, for $1400 you pick yourself up a nice shiny Steyr rifle, maybe even a charter arms revolver if you shop around, and be well on your way to having a hero gun. If that's your thing anyway. Though I am probably going to go the same route Doc has (with such fine results too I hope) with mine. Like he said, i just don't have the heart to cut up such a beautiful rifle.

At least, I don't think I do. Twisted Evil

We can't discount the folks who want to open a box and put a finished model on a shelf too, ya know?

At the end of the day I'll be honest and admit that if I had the cash, I'd pick one of these up to add to my blaster collection.

I will always need a new one!!

Very Happy
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hot for it until I saw the plastic parts,particularly the frame.Makes me feel better about not getting it.I just got my Coyle Worldcon anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: