FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blade Runner homage in 3D field sequential

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Blade Runner homage in 3D field sequential Reply with quote

Part of the reason I've been jumping into the BR prop thing is to make some still-life lenticulars that don't infringe on copyright, and also to use a Nu-View field sequential 3D video cam (with the Oliver Dean installed optical correction) and make a short 3D movie. By short, I mean under five minutes. A bit of an homage to Sara Campbell, actually. Her sequel novel "Memories of Green" from Cityspeak never fails to move me.

I have a functioning Nu-View stereo rig, and if this project doesn't take off, I'll probably bring the camera down to Burning Man 2009, which will ensure its demise, but possibly get some interesting footage (the gypsum dust on the Black Rock City Playa is sure and certain death for an exposed front-surface mirror, which is part of the Nu-View system.)

Are there people in the Pacific Northwest interested? I'd kind of like to wait until Birdie's VK is online, because that could be a good prop.

Email me PM if this is of interest, and I'll assess whether or not we have enough of a team to do something interesting.

We will be working non-profit, non-union... Cool

Doc
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very scary doc Wink

I wish I was out that way.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I printed Doc's pictures, flipped the right one, placed a mirror between them and voilĂ : Doc in 3-D...yes Andy, better be out of the way:-)
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to step back a few feet to parallel freeview them. I may try and swap the pics so I can could do it the cross-eyed method or just shrink em down a tad.

Andy
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok y'all. Here's a version of the image that will allow either crosseyed or parallel freeviewing. Sloppy image flipping, but it works... Wink

Last edited by doc3d on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems like this babbling has gone over like Demosthenes trying to deliver an oration... maybe a 3D movie in the next life, 'eh? Wink

Doc
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn it doc, now im walkin into walls and stuff
Looks great though.
Rustyn242
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: "Memories of Green" Reply with quote

Hey, Does anyone have have a link or know where I can find Sara Campbell's, "Memories of Green" from Cityspeak?

Sounds cool.

my 1st post of the new year
- Rustyn242 Razz
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustyn242, unfortunately most of us who got copies of this masterpiece (far better than Jeter's sequels, imho, and I truly respect KW's writing skills) got stuck with a geis not to make copies. However, I didn't promise not to read it, which I'm hoping Sara will forgive me for doing. I'm working on it. Memories of Green is so integral to honoring her memory that it deserves to endure. I can do it with grace and style-- I've worked as a disk jockey and have "the voice"-- but it's just taking time, because it's a long work. I put a taste of her prose on Bladezone, which seems reasonable and not disrespectful. Sara was a genius, and she died way before her time.

I'm still trying to contact the original Cityscape people for a consensus re republishing the work. So far, not a word. PM me if you were there...

Doc
Rustyn242
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen & read the Cityspeak at Bladezone. I thought it was very well done. I haven't looked at in a long time though, "Memories of Green" was/ is a full book/ story she penned?

Rustyn242
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one at BladeZone/Kipplezone came from me. As did the PDF version with the watermark on other fansites. It does not have Memories of Green.

Here is the link to the non-watermarked version at kipplezone.

It is still a more compressed version than the one I had originally made from my copy I obtained from ebay.

I tried for about a month to contact people involved in the fanzine before I decided to release it. I did put a couple of small tells in it, but I don't care what people do with it. I just didn't want people selling them on Ebay as originals. So far nobody has.

I felt in the end keeping the memory of one of Blade Runner's earliest fan (and fans) alive was more important than the value of my collectible. I know 'Kipple' is working on getting the okay to publish the rest of the Cityspeak work of Sara Campbell and the other contributors.

I know as a person that collected and published fanzines in the 80's that the idea was to get the information out and any money collected was to pay for printing. We encouraged people to make copies and distribute them. I am sure Sara would have agreed with that.

Andy
Rustyn242
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, Andy. I don't think she would have minded. It's fans wanting to read/ hear it because they really love the subject. Not someone trying to make a buck.
I was pretty into 'zines in the 80's and 90's- what ones did you do?

-Rustyn242
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the video project comes off, I'd like to loosely base it on something in Sara's zine. Again I plan to shoot field sequential 3D, which can be viewed on any tv using cheap shutter glasses.

Anyway, first the VK, then on to the movie.

Doc
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: