FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Are the sidkit worldcon grips too short?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Are the sidkit worldcon grips too short? Reply with quote

I only just noticed them being shorter when placing the assembled blaster over a scaled print out of the wc. the rest is pretty much in proportion to the print, but the grips seem alot shorter Confused

karl: dont suppose you got the measurements for the grips?
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I did not take measurements. However you might be able to scale from certain of my pictures, which show a Moleskine notebook and QP gray card in the frame.

The gun was extremely COMFORTABLE in the hand, and my fingers were not at all crowded. Note in these previously unreleased shots that there is space below my fingers even. The trigger guard did not cramp me at all either.

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a pair of the new Sidkit worldcon grips to measure, but from Karl's photos the grips seem to be about 4 1/4" long as opposed to the 4" most other replicas seem to be. The older version of the Sidkit grips were just a tad larger than the other versions coming in at 1/6" over 4".

I am only measuring the distance between the very top edge of the grip to the top of the buttplate. I have yet to even try to compare the dimensions from all angles. The worldcon hero grips do seem very "beefy" compared to any of the replicas. I am sure it is larger in most of the overall dimensions.

Here are some of my measurements in another thread...

Andy
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting analasis andy. sidkits worldcon grips are pretty much the same height as his 2006 grips. I'll try to take a photo of the gun against the print.

Rich changed his grips for his WC version, so would be interesting to find out what size he did those.

There is also these: http://www.yourprops.com/view_item.php?movie_prop=24272

I dont know who "biggles" is and I cant find a way to email him, but maybe he'd be good enough to let us know the dimensions of them
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles is a member here, but not sure how often he checks in? He is also from Japan and I can not remember his real name.

The cast grips from what I have seen of the Stunts that had the grips added on show the grips had shrunk considerably, even compared to the rubber stunt casting. I am not sure if it would help with the size.

My measurements also had not completely calculated the foreshortening in Karl's picture, so there was a bit of guesstimation. I used the first few pictures from the "out of the case" set. We could also use other known dimensions in existing gun parts like the real bulldog grip to compare.

From the original thread about Sid's new grips, he talked about lengthening and widening the grips for the new version. It would be a mistake to assume anything about them. I am sure somebody here has a set that could hopefully take a ruler to them.

Andy
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the 2006 and worldcon grips. they measure the same in height (106mm) with the exception of the right grip which is 3mm longer than the old version.

here's the amount of height difference with the reference image. also to note the printout gun body appears slightly smaller than the model

I extended and overlayed your notepad rule karl and for some reason the wc grips appear to be around 100mm?! shorter than sids! so I'm at odds end with this one
Confused
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably shot that image with the camera on "macro" and wide-angle settings. The notebook and QP card are sitting flat on the display counter, while the gun is dimensional so that the top surface of the grip there is at least a couple centimeters closer to the camera.

So it's not surprising that if you just cut out the rulers and overlay them, things will not add up.

- k
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did scale and taper the rule to match the position and angle of the gun. though it's not the most accurate of ways.

I just noticed on the japanese blaster the section on the grip frame between the bulldog grip frame and buttplate. on sids this section is smaller. the difference in the sizes of these sections is around the same as my model on the reference image.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: