FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Voight Kampff Reference Photos...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Voight Kampff Reference Photos... Reply with quote

I've wanted a VK machine for ever but good reference was never available... until now! With the amazing photos released by Bwood and the ones below, a pretty accurate VK can now be tackled.

Here's the Best VK reference I've got.

And the high res set photos!

The white lines are a 1982 version of watermark on the original photos. I'll go into more detail about them later on.

And here's a repost of Bwood's stunning photo ref -

Bwood also says that there is more to come from that series! Woo Hoo!

Also, can somebody post a comprehensive collection of Blueray screen captures of the VK. All my screen grabs are from the regular DVD. Tons of good info to be gotten from screen grabs.

Nick

Last edited by nickdaring on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say, so much useful information!! , it's just fabulous !!.
I can only say how useful these photo will be to me as I rework Jobergs static prop and make a completely screen accurate working prop - I can't think what we'll see next !! Nick, you are a gentleman for posting these.
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so tempting to hoard this stuff but it's too cool not to share. What fun is it to have something like this and not enjoy it with others ya know?

Nick
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spirit of Worldcon lives!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is absolutely why I love this place so much. Before I can ever get bored with BR, I get excited with new information that comes to light, and the great generosity of the members here.

Thank you so much once again Nick,
Andy
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with Andy.
Thank you for sharing these Nick.

Neil
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, your generosity is commandable...I'm of the same spirit: why hoarding and keeping secrets when you can make many people happy by just sharing what you have. That's why I like it here. Now on to more work/discussion about what's being showed Wink
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few more I stumbled across-

Nick
Combaticus
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Nick!
Birdie
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, amazing pics Very Happy

That has resolved a few nagging doubts about my VK shell, now maybe I can finally bring this project forward.

Thanks!
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man. Wow! Very nice. THANK YOU!

I've been wanting to scratch build one of these suckers for a long time. Might be finally time to build that vac form table and get to work!

propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland, you only need a small vac former for the bellows blades, if I could offer one bit of advice it's don't try to vac form the main shells, do them either in fibreglass or slush moulded reinforced resin , I'm sorry that this sounds a bit like 'teaching granny to suck eggs!' I didn't mean it to , The VK is in reality quite a simple prop , but since there are no real plans and even less specs for it , artistic license creeps in , Nick's few pictures have already revealed things I never new before, so I hope once we've seen all the VK one's, I'll be able to do the film prop justice, with a truly accurate replica.
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOP's sorry , it was meant a little tongue in cheek, I'm sure like me you can't wait to see what Nicks next little selection will reveal , If he's got the actuals photo proof used for the magazine , these are going to be great !! and if I can be of any help please drop me a PM.

Last edited by propsjonnyb on Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching granny to suck eggs?

You callin' me a granny?

The last time I even thought about building one of these was several years ago. I'm not sure what I'd use today, but I have no doubt it would require quite a mixed media of components, including vac forming, wood work, metal work, miliput, and electronics.
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New pics from BWood!

Nick
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also so does anyone have Blueray captures of the VK sequences from the film?

I'd like to see a comprehensive collection of screen caps posted here. I'd do it my self but I don't have a way to pull caps from a Blueray disk.

A complete rundown of each shot, cut for cut would be nice to make sure every angle and alternate is chronicled.

Nick
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BR link section titled: LA2019 has HD pics of the different VK shots of the movie...
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Voight Kampff machine was needed to work on Monday, the first day of filming, so the prop makers brought it to Mr Scott, Mr Paull and the prop master on the Friday before to see it work. As it turned out, no one was happy. This team was dismissed and Mike Fink and his team was brought in to work through the weekend to create the VK you see in the movie. A new approach was tried and Mr Scott seemed to accept the new model. The bellows was made of a series of flatish vacuum formed vents that would rise and fall. This version was far more delicate and "intrusive" than the early one. The boom was finer than the one Syd had in his sketch.
On the front (the side Dekard sees) I put the VK logo plate. Just to the right of that is the TV screen, and sitting flat on top of that is the plate that says Voight Kampff (seen only if you are hovering right above the TV).
The script said the words Voight Kampff was finely etched so I found a modern German looking font (caps only) that was photo etched on a mag plate.
I offer all this to reward your efforts at trying to make this challenging prop. Not an easy thing to do. But have faith! It CAN be done!
I don't know how to post photos yet, but will try to learn. I have many photos of the VK but some may be that bad one...need to edit. But at least I have a placement photo on the logo plates. Though not all that important, seeing as you don't see them in the film. Do you?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See! We need people like you thanks for the details (none of our pictures showed the etched logo on top of the big T.V. screen.
I'm trying to stay as close as possible to Mike Fink's work; as you saw in the previous pages, most of the HD pics we have are from his machine. I like it better than the one showing the working screens in the movie. That's why we always thought there were at least 2 different machines.
One that was used for principal photography in the U.S. (Leon's and Rachael's interviews: same set, V.K. showed the screens either out of focus (Leon) or when Rachael's interview is done and you see only static on the 3 screens.
Then the insert shots (maybe shot in the U.K.) are showing another machine: different design of the housing surrounding the big T.V. screen and 2 lower small screens at the left. (Mike's V.K. has a higher housing for the 2 small screens).

O.k, enough about the particulars, I'm trying to figure out a way to make the eye of the machine move back and forth and also side to side. Confused
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know they used two machines but not really surprised. After all, that wasn't Harrison who bent over the tub to get the snake scale. London shoot. So they may have made a VK for those inserts you mentioned. As I have looked over many photos of the fan built VKs you can see that thin plate attached to the top of the TV screen...they all look a bit too thick. This was a thin plate stuck to the box, almost an afterthought, like on your Sony, or Toshiba. I think most builders thought it was something else. Will try to get a photo for you. Is Mike Fink talking to you? He is a teacher at USC. And I think he still has the working VidPhon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: