FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
WIP: Blade Runner Gun Replica Glossary/FAQ. Updated 12/31/10
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: WIP: Blade Runner Gun Replica Glossary/FAQ. Updated 12/31/10 Reply with quote

I have been holding off posting this work in progress because I feel it might be inaccurate and incomplete, so I hope everybody can help me refine it. In the mean time here is my latest draft.

BLADE RUNNER GUN REPLICA GLOSSARY and FAQ

Adven: Stands for “Adventure Make”, a Japanese hobby company that made several versions of the Blade Runner gun, including one loosely based on the “OZ Shop” gun and a simple 5 piece metal “paperweight” version.

Amber Grips: The “Hero” gun had the unusual detail of having grips that were made of a transparent gold, amber colored plastic. Rick Ross’s “PKD-1” may have been the first replica to have recreated this feature. It is also possible that Richard Coyle had recreated it at about the same timeframe. Before this, most people thought the grips were wood grain.

Binding Post: Refers to an identified “Greebly”, that is on the right side of the gun next to the barrel. It was made from a “Binding Post” most commonly used in WWII era Field electronics. It is also called the “Other Knob” with its proximity and similarity to the “Weaver Knob”.

B.R.U. Special Issue Model 2019: See “Offworld” and “M2019”.

Blaster: A generic term that refers to mostly to futuristic weaponry. Or, more specifically, guns that have an unknown technology base. Also guns that make a big “Bang” and flash. Term popularized by the Star Wars movies

Bulldog: The model of the working base gun in the “Hero” prop that was used to allow it to fire blanks and pyrotechnic rounds. The gun was a .44 magnum “Bulldog” made by “Charter Arms”. It was also infamously the gun used by the ‘Son of Sam’ serial killer.

Butt Plate: The metal cap end to the grips of the gun. They have been modified at one point with a “Pinky notch” to allow a more comfortable fit for Harrison Ford, and also to be a bit more aesthetically blended into the rest of the guns design.

C&S: Stands for “Coyle & Steinschneider”. Richard Coyle and Phil Steinschneider, the team that researched and produced the first functional gun replica cast from real gun parts as opposed to being cast from second hand “Stunt” castings or created from scratch. Also called “Coyle”, “RAC Props”, “2019 Detective Special: Model CS”, and “CS&T”.

Charter Arms: The company that made the firing base gun for the “Hero” gun prop. See also “Bulldog”.

Chif’s Special: See Chief’s Special.

Chief’s Special: This is a common term for large caliber short nosed revolvers, usually Smith & Wesson models. It was used by the “Hartford” company as part of the name for their “M2019 C.S. Blaster”. It may possibly be a takeoff of the name “C&S”, and could also refer to the fact that they used a Smith & Wesson .38 special as their gun base. “Hartford” made both a PFC (Plug Fire Cap) version and Airsoft version. On the box they misspelled the “Chief” as “Chif”, so it often goes by that name as well. It is also called the “Hartford” and “M2019”.

Coyle: Refers to Richard Coyle, maker of replica props since the 1970’s, and creator of the “C&S”, “CS&T”, all metal “Worldcon”, and stunt versions of the gun.

CS&T: Stands for “Coyle, Steinschneider & Tate”. It is the updated version of the “C&S” that was revamped after the appearance of the original “Hero” gun prop at the 2006 “Worldcon” convention, where Karl Tate (and Richard Coyle later) took detailed photos of it. It came in resin and all (mostly) metal versions. It is also called the “Worldcon” version.

Elfin Knights Project: Is a Japanese hobby company that makes many prop replicas. They also made a “Worldcon” Kit of the gun that was machined and then cast into mostly plastic and some metal. It seemes to be meant as a no glue kit. They also made a simple black “Stunt” version. Another contribution from “Elfin Knights Project” is the Japanese language Magazine “Blaster 01” Dokuhon that has pictures of many of the Replicas made in Japan the rest of the world, as well as other information helpful to collectors of the guns. "Elfin Knights Project" is lead by professional sculptor Ryosuke Takagi who has made made many versions of the blaster through the years. Mr. Takagi may also have made the first replica of the gun to use a Charter Arms Bulldog (airsoft replica) as the core gun in 1993.

Greebly, Greeblie or Greeble: Usually a “found” part used to decorate and detail a prop. Also called a "Widget" in the UK

Grip Frame: The “Hero” gun had two “grip frames” as a part of it. The inside frame was the one that originally came with the “Bulldog” Revolver. A larger frame was made from metal to create the larger grip silhouette and attach the “Amber Grips”.

Hartford: See “Chief’s Special”, and “M2019 C.S. Blaster”.

Hero: The term usually refers to a prop that will be used in close up shots in a film. It will usually be the most detailed and realistically looking version of the prop, and differs from the “Stunt” which is usually used in action scenes, and filmed from a distance. The “Hero” gun used by the character Deckard in Blade Runner, had not been seen in public since the movie until it surfaced as part of a prop display at the 2006 “Worldcon” convention. See also “Worldcon”. It was later sold in a Profiles in History Hollywood auction in 2009.

Laser Sight Rod: Refers to an unidentified “greebly” attached to the left side of the gun. It has green LEDs attached at either end, and was at least at one time wired to possibly be powered. It is also called the “Jewelers screwdriver”, “Pin Vise”, and “LED Rod”.

M2019: Refers to at least 4 different versions of the guns replicas.
First it was used as part of the name for the Japanese “Hartford” versions (may still have been a reference to the “2019 Detective Special” by “RAC Props”).
The second, and third versions to use the name are the “Monsters in Motion” (or “MiM”) resin versions. They are a combination of casts from a real “Charter Arms Bulldog” .38 special and the Hartford grips and their version of the “Steyr” clip and receiver. They did both a complex kit with all the gun parts cast, and a simple kit with fewer parts and no trigger, hammer, and cylinder function. It was sold primarily through “Monsters in Motion”.
The fourth third version is the “Offworld Mfg.” “B.R.U. Special Issue Model 2019”. A Part die cast and ABS plastic version that seems to be somewhat based after the earlier “MiM” Resin kits. It was not cast from those parts but copied to be tooled for injection molding. Also called just the “Offworld”.

Marco: Refers to “Marco Enterprises”, a garage kit company that would make and sell replica props from a mail-order photocopied catalogue. They made a version of the gun that was seemingly recast or based off of the earlier Japanese replicas “Oz Shop” or “Adven”. The gun also had a clear rod in the barrel for light effects, and could be ordered with a custom leather holster.

MiM (and “Monsters in Motion”): For those that do not know, “Monsters in Motion” is a website and store that specializes in selling Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy model kits, garage kits and sculptures as well as other collectable ephemera from around the world. For more info see “M2019” for their gun kits.

Model SL: The model of .222 “Steyr” sniper rifle that was used for parts of the “Hero” gun prop. See also “Steyr”.

Offworld: Made by the “Offworld Manufacturing Corporation” as a “Built-up” with die cast metal and ABS Plastic to be durable, low cost, and functional. Full name is the “B.R.U. Special Issue Model 2019”. See also “M2019”.

Oz Shop: A Japanese hobby company that may have made the first production model replica of the gun from scratch.

Pflager Katsumata: See “PKD”

PKD: Stands for “Pflager Katsumata” series D. The initials where also taken from the author Phillip K. Dick whose book ‘Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep’ was the basis for ‘Blade Runner’. Rick Ross came up with the name for his series of Blaster Replicas starting with the “PKD-1”. Later versions included the more accurate “PKD-2”, the “PKD Snub”, the “PKD Magnum”, the “PKD-3” and soon to be “PKD Enforcer”. His guns are stylized resin garage kits and had very little function beyond working LED lights and moving trigger.
The term “PKD” for the gun replicas has also become most used generic term for all the replica versions of Deckard’s gun.

RAC Props: Stands for Richard A Coyle, and his prop making company and website. See also “C&S” and “Coyle”.

Safariland: The company that made the holster for Deckard’s gun and produces similar holsters with retention springs to hold the gun in an open holster. They also made holsters for Bryant, Gaff and possibly the rest of the police force to be used with the rubber “stunt” versions of the gun.

Savage Blaster: Is the name given by Adam Savage to his version of the gun made from real gun parts and greeblies, as well as some Sidkit, Coyle, and machined parts from Propsummit members, including MSpaw.

SidKit: Was a garage kit company in Italy that made many Science Fiction and other models and replica props. They made an early version of mostly resin with some metal parts that seemed to be cast from an RAC Props version 3 gun. They later made a full metal version of the gun in pewter, and more recently another metal version that more closely followed the “Worldcon Hero” photos.

SL: Is the model of Steyr Rifle the Hero gun is made from, and stands for "Super Light", because of it's lightweight quality.

SL-DAPAS: Stands for “Sensor Loading Duplex Action Police Assault Sidearm”. Named by Craig Kovach for his two full reconstructions of Deckard’s gun out of authentic gun parts. Both fully functional working firearms.

Snub: Many of the replicas also were made in a snub or short barreled version. “Snub” versions were made by Rick Ross with one of his “PKD” versions, as did “Hartford”, and “Sci-Fi Models”.

SSG: Is the name of the .308 version of the “Steyr” sniper (or Sharp Shooter) rifle, very similar to the model used for the “Hero” gun. Some versions also came with the double set trigger format. Many of the Japanese gun replicas were called “SSG’s”, and so was the Comet Miniatures gun that was a recast of the “OZ Shop” gun. It is possible they thought the “Steyr” used was a .308 “SSG” as opposed to the .222 “Model SL” that was used. See also “Steyr”.

Steyr: Steyr is an Austrian weapons manufacturer that made the .222 sniper Rifle that was cut down and used for several parts on the “hero” prop, including the upper receiver, the clip housing and clip. On the side of the “Hero” gun and most of the replicas is the writing “STEYR-DAIMLER-PUCH A.G. STEYR MANNLICHER MOD SL.”

Stunt: Several rubber casts of the “Hero” weapon were made during production as stand in guns for action scenes in the movie (see where gun is pulled through wall by Roy Batty), and as holstered weapons carried by the police including Bryant and Gaff. Most of them were just single piece casts of rubber, but a few also had grips painted or replaced by resin grips. Many of the first versions of the gun available as resin casts were second hand casting made from the “stunt” castings made for the film.
The term “Stunt” will also refer to simpler versions of the replicas that would have little to no working parts. RAC Props made a “stunt” version, as did “Elfin-Knights” in Japan.

Tomenosuke Blaster: Refers to a “Worldcon” version of the gun made in Japan, by using the photos made by Karl Tate as well as an original “Stunt” casting. It would then be machined and cast into metal and plastic.

Tomenosuke Pro: Refers to the production made “Worldcon” version made by the Tomenosuke team and Marushin, an airsoft replica gun maker. It is made using the original "Tomenosuke Blaster" as a starting point as well as new information gathered at the auction of the "Hero" gun by Tomenosuke.

Weaver Knob: When the “Hero” gun surfaced at the 2006 “Worldcon” it showed a knob with incremental markings and a stamped “0” in the center. It turned out to be a knob from a vintage “Weaver” scope model 29s or 344. As far as anybody can tell it was never seen in the movie. In the movie a slotted screw was seen as it was also reproduced in the “Stunt” castings

Worldcon: Stands for the 64th World Science Fiction convention (also called the 1996 L.A. Con IV) where the “Hero” prop was displayed by owner Jeff Walker and then photographed in great detail by Karl Tate. It answered a great multitude of questions prop-makers were having about the gun and also posed a few more. Many prop-makers began to follow the new examples and call the new versions “Worldcon” versions. Models painted and detailed to match the photographs will often be called “Worldcon Accurized”.

Andy

Last edited by andy on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:32 am; edited 17 times in total
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty thorough to me.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep getting questions and PMs as to what we are talking about from new members that haven't been following the replicas like I, and some others here have. So I am hoping this will help those that might feel just a little bit lost to have a better Idea what the hell I am talking about. Some more updates to come tonight.

Andy
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Great idea and execution Andy.....informative helpful and just plain fun to read....more is always better....only wish I could offer more than moral support......
David
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated with some more entries.

Andy
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said you Andy, in other place, this is a great idea!!!! I'll check my very little blasters collection with other eyes from now... Very Happy

Thank you!!!
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the misspelling was "Chif's Special", not "Chef's Special". Shocked
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct, Good catch.

Updated and corrected.

Thank you,
Andy
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years I had been reading menus and chuckling to myself about the Hartford. Smile Razz

I have a question to everybody. Should I keep the Glossary focused on the Blaster terms, or could I add other prop related terms in there as well? It might make it pretty big and unwieldy, so maybe even another Glossary all together could be warranted for other obscure terms.

Andy
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....it appears "Blaster" lore would fill a book...associated/related topics could fill additional volumns...big time...if the end product (make that never ending) is a managable "thing" then starting with Blaster related terminology is a terrific start...without muddying the waters further (too late) "pictures" would be invaluable to the novice as well as the seasoned veteran...a combination of words and pictures would be...well...too cool....i'm guessing here given my own status as "novice"....one mans opinion....
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture will certainly come, but I will need help with those. I don't have the ability to take pictures of all of them, since I don't have all of them (Yet), so if people are willing to let me use their pictures in the Glossary would be great. Of course that would make it an Encyclopedia instead of a Glossary. Smile

Andy
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...well put Andy....not my intent to make your effort an encyclopedia as much as a more solid reference....kepping it simple should always be the driving force.....it occurs to me how much fun I have had...and am having discovering this information...finding obscure sites and digging into the existing forum...which is a wealth of much and varied nformation....leads me to the suggestion of some overt (printed) search possiblities (above and beyond the "seach" mechinism in place...that would help uncover the hidden treasures within the forum?.....just a thought....
David

Last edited by Bassnoir on Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regards the Tomenosuke entry, I would say they utilized "careful study" of the Worldcon photos, not "reverse engineering".

If they had reverse engineered the photos, they would have ended up with a replica of my camera.

Deriving engineering information off of photos is called "Photogrammetry", I don't know if that is exactly the technique that was used. Perhaps Temponaut has more info on that point.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phasepistol, I wasn't sure what exactly to call it and I was uncomfortable with reverse engineering too, but couldn't think of anything else at the time I first typed it up.

Andy
Chronos
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write-up, Andy!
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Andy, a complete prop glossary will be an entire collection of hugue books I guess! Very Happy

In fact, in my own book project I wish to include a glossary of terms used or related to props that appear in this (probably) first volume. Will be nice to collect terms thinking about this point.

I wanna invite you and all Propsummit people to share these termes here and give me the permission to grab them and collect them to include in this glossary, when the prop mentioned may be pictures, commented and included in the book. Sort of idea...

An entire blog are devoted to this (book) project. I don't mind to open to several credited editors or so... But I prefer, ever, to respect the initial ideas here, and, just in case, grab them.
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing this Andy. It really helps people that don't know alot about the blaster, like me.

Thanks you sir. Wink
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Andy.

This is the kind of thing, along with the blaster timeline, that can really help new fans navigate their way through collecting blade runner blasters.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tiny bit late, but still, great stuff! Big kudos to you Andy!

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: