FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blade Runner Books 2,3 & 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Blade Runner Books 2,3 & 4 Reply with quote

I don't know how common the knowledge is regarding follow up Blade Runner book series by KW Jeter. I've read some of 2:The Edge of Human
3 is Replicant Night and 4 is Eye and Talon.

I know Number 4 is tough to find as it was a low print item and price run from $25 to $100 for copies.

Anyone read the entire series? How do any of them hold up?
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get through "Edge of Human". I have to admit that for me Blade Runner needs to be a visual experience. And while I can certainly imagine the book as directed by Scott and scored be Vangelis (and don't think I don't have the CD playing while I read it) and the way the book was written didn't always make a lot of sense to me.

Beyond that, I really didn't like the direction they took the story or the characters. The more I read about the story in books 3 and 4, the more turned off I got.

I know they tried to sort of meld the book with the film too. I'm not so sure that was a good idea.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just learned of these books not too long ago. I also just started reading PKD. I read my first PKD book this past September which was A Scanner Darkly.

I switched over to the Dune books for the time being. I want to pick up some more of PKD's works, but havent found the time.

The only question I have about these sequel books is are they sequels to the movie or sequels to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Otherwise, I look forward to getting my hands on them

Tom
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeter was a friend of Phillip K Dick and his writing style sometimes seem to emulate him. I read the first 2 books and they tried to somehow combine the worlds of the movie and the book. I think he used characters from both. The stories had some interesting stuff but veered so far off into seemingly fan fiction uninspred ridiculousness they left me kind of flat. In the second or BR3 book he even tried to bring in eliments of the film making into the story. As a fan I got a slight kick out of them and even saw some potential, but I don't think these will in anyway be made into movies anytime soon. I would say read only if you are a big BR fan(or maybe not) or have no problem reading any book given to you.

andy
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arghhh, I do not know what to make of this.... It seems people generally have a stale feeling from these books.

I guess, I will just have to try reading them for myself. Then again, everyone could say they are the worst books ever written and I will still want to give them a shot because of their BR association.
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here.

Kind of figured since there was so little said about them that they were a uneventful read. I find that even with several SW books.

Amish, if you haven't read Future Noir - put your time there. Time well spent.

I guess I keep looking for another BR read as good as that one! I think it's the BR holy grail and no searching will reward me with better.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defintely will! Thank you Rick Smile
BR12819
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have all three made it through the first two books which were alright as far as jeter goes, IMO. i still as of yet not made it through 4, at the time i think i was too much of a purist having loved the original book and the movie so much. but now as im taking a hiatus from watching the movie until the SE comes out (so it will seem fresher(i guess)) it might have just enough of the BR feel that it'll be enjoyable. i'll try it out and let anyone who's intersted know how it is.

Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Future Noir is a great read. I have re-read the book 4 times. It just never gets old for me, and I really enjoy the way Paul Sammon writes. There is so much respect and love for the subject matter it's hard not to live vicariously through Mr. Sammon while reading it.

I've purchased 6 copies of the book as well as gifts for friends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: