FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Finish related question

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Finish related question Reply with quote

I added a rub of graphite powder to the Steyr receiver on my Coyle stunt, which has a coat of Krylon ultra flat black applied to it. I'm quite pleased with the outcome of the process, but it needs to be sealed.

My question is, what method of sealing it would be best to maintain that metallic look? Clear matte coat or gloss?

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the matt clear retains the original look and is more even in finish, but i would use gloss clear on the grips to keep the lustre.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love the way the Graphite looks. I will say in my experience the clear coat will dull and darken the graphite. Like Offworld said, the clear matte looks better IMHO, and you can put a little bit more graphite over the top to make it shine a bit more.

Just a question about your trigger guard, it looks like it is outside of the grips and not connected right.

Andy
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think any dull coat you put on it will turn the graphite to mud. Here is my microscopic representation:

clearcote ______________
graphite: ^^^^^^^^^^^

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The graphite actually grips inside of the texture of the primer and attaches itself pretty well. Remember that artists will use matte spray fixative to seal and protect their drawings. If you do use any kind of over spray, keep it thin, and don't over do it. It is possible I may have used actual artist fixative in the past. It has been a long time ago and I have forgotten what I did.

Another thing you should do is take the raw graphite stick and rub it along the edges of the receiver. It makes it wear seem more realistic. Look at as many pictures of real guns as reference too. What I like most about using just the primer and graphite is that the effect is sharper details, and it will keep it from looking "painted" which usually happens when the build up of paint rounds off the detail edges.

You can even rub in some rust colored pastels or even a dark blue, purple and/or greens to replicate the coloring in the steel.

Andy
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:

Just a question about your trigger guard, it looks like it is outside of the grips and not connected right.

Andy

Yeah it is acutally sitting a bit outside the grip frame, held in place by the grips. When I was drilling out the slot for the grip, the part shattered, so I had to make due with having the grips retain it in place. Good eye Andy

BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good loyal. definately a more realistic finish idea than any paintjob I've seen.

I remember humbrol did metal coat paints that were rub and buff. the dark steel would have been perfect for this sort of thing.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use a can of mat varnish for my pencil or airbrushing paint; it retains the colour , doesn't bleed and last a very long time. An art-supply store is the place to buy it.
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, almost every coating you put over the graphite will render the finish less brilliant. While the color will still be there, the sheen will be reduced substantially.

I like Graphite because I feel it gives the most desirable finish to emulate firearm steel, but ultimately you will need to decide if you want a prop you are going to handle or display....
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staar wrote:
Unfortunately, almost every coating you put over the graphite will render the finish less brilliant. While the color will still be there, the sheen will be reduced substantially.

I like Graphite because I feel it gives the most desirable finish to emulate firearm steel, but ultimately you will need to decide if you want a prop you are going to handle or display....

Not that much of an issue at this point really. I gave the same graphite treatment to my Coyle V.3 that I have shadow boxed, so the stunt's really more of paperweight on my desk at the moment. I can live with the finish wearing off over time.

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a similar technique using metalizer paints that have been almost dried out on a cloth and rubbed into the gun. They started with the darkest gunmetal and worked up to drybrush in lighter metal scratches. The effect wasn't as convincing as the graphite, but it was still remarkable, and more durable than the graphite. Of course just about any Coyle should only be used as a display model according to him. The all metal versions not as much, but they wouldn't need this kind of paint job either.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: