FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Police Body Armor, 2019

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Police Body Armor, 2019 Reply with quote

I've been a cop since 1980. Since then I've gone through many, many different types of body armor for work. They change them every five years due to a useable life based on five years. When they change, it is often a different vest due to advances in vest design, and changes in the contract / vendor. Also, when I went to the tactical unit, I went from a concealed type armor to a bulkier exterior armor (much more comfortable and with pockets). My point here is that cops could be seen wearing different types / makes of armor in a real life agency.

There was also non-ballistic armor, worn for crowd control, in prisons, etc. that protected the officer from impact trauma, not ballistic penetration. It appears to me that the Sinisalo motocross chest protector may have been meant to represent impact trauma protection, not ballistic protection. IIRC, armor was not mentioned in the book. Also, I noticed some officers wore jackets and in one photo an officer has a fishnet like (hot weather) shirt under his armor.

Just wanted to hear people's opinions on the exterior armor that was seen on the uniform cops being for impact protection vs. stopping bullets.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles Knode's sketch for the police armor...

From Bladezone

There is a good extra on the DVD set that talks quite a bit about the police outfits. I think one of the aspects they were trying to go with was a robotic, inhuman look. Also reference to the outfits of the gestapo.

One of the questions could be are the Police even human themselves? Perhaps much earlier Nexus models, only legal on earth because of their official use, and earlier model status. Maybe even Cyborgs?

The police face masks do seem to want to take away from the human aspects of the police, and at least make a comparison to the replicants. Part of the whole subsurface storyline in the movie.

Andy
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always got the feeling the police body armor was a sort of general purpose tactical armor offering ballistic as well as stab protection. I think the officers not wearing armor are either working in a lower threat level sector, or assigned to less crowd control duties. I think the overall look was supposed to make the police intimidating authority figures. People you did not want to mess around with.

I never felt they weren't human though. But its a common psychological response if you obscure the face or hide the facial features that the person becomes more threatening and more de-humanized. It creates a barrier that prevents the other person from making an empathic connection with the person wearing the mask/face shield.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: