FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Deckard's Blaster. Help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaithRook

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Deckard's Blaster. Help? Reply with quote

Hello all!

To begin, let me say that I approach you all on hands and knees, seeking the wisdom and advice of sci-fi professionals far more skilled than myself. Smile

I have been on the hunt for Deckard's blaster for some time now, and I have narrowed it down (painstakingly) to a few options.

But before I take my final steps, I was hoping you could answer some basic (nay, noobish) questions of mine. I will try to be brief.

1.) Can anyone attest to the quality of Out World Inc.?

2.) What is a Stunt Model?

3.) What is the difference between a Kit and a Buildup Model?

This search has been so long and exhausting, but I think I am finally getting close. Any help in taking these final steps would be greatly appreciated!

~Rook
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.

I'll take a stab an answering a few of your questions best I can.

Can't speak to the quality of the Offworld, as I don't own one, but with a few replacement parts and fresh paint they clean up nice. Have a look at some of the Offworld threads here and you'll see what I mean.

A stunt model is basically a solid casting of the blaster, no moving parts. Rich does make a stunt version that has a few moving parts, but usually they're just a solid chunk of resin. They vary in size and quality of the casting.

A kit is basically an unassembled gun, that you assemble and paint to suit your tastes. Rich's kits break down fully just like the screen used blaster does, whereas Rick Ross's kits don't break down as fully, but still have a lot of assembly and painting required.

A build up is a kit that has been assembled, painted, and finished by the the person selling it usually.

Hope it helps, browse the threads in the forum you'll find a wealth of information.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Rook...and to the world of BR.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might like reading the many articles on the Blaster and other Blade Runner things on my web site http://www.racprops.com

Rich

Last edited by racprops on Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Murderermarv
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Rich. Your site isn't loading.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this:

http://www.racprops.com/

Rich
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rook!

My friend has an Offworld which he painted. Came out nice! But the Offworld is not a true replica of the Blaster, it is too small. The correct gun is a .44 caliber, while the Offworld is a .38.

If you can get the Offworld cheap and you have a talent for modifying and painting it though, I have seen some pretty good replicas made from them. Check around on the board here and you'll see.

Karl
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Offword is a good basic start, but there is quite a bit wrong with it and a lot of work involved to get it looking right in the first place. The stunt kits, resin or 'all metal' kits and buildup's all will give you an accurate looking replica of the real thing, with slightly different degrees of accuracy and functionality depending on how much you want to invest and more importantly if you want to build it yourself or have it built for you, the point being - you want to get to a point where it's difficult to tell if it's the filmed one or a replica , so the more you invest, the better the end result , having Rich build your replica means that he is an accredited 'expert', a recognised experienced professional film prop builder with a detailed knowledge of the gun and you can't get better than that, with one exception - using 'real' gun parts, yes there are others who are very talented and very good at making props and replicas , just have a look around this forum , so its a question on what you want to do and what do you want to spend , currently anything from a $100 USD to the top of the range @ $1200.00 USD .
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add that building out of real gun parts runs:

Steyr Receiver: $1200.00 (Avg)

Real Bulldog pistol: $400.00 (Avg)

Buying and Machining a 4.5 Barrel out of 44 rifled stock: $200.00 to $500.00 (est)

Making your own custom shells ..$100.00 to $1000.00 more..(Est)

Some have bought one of my kits for these parts and as a guide to all the machining: $500.00.

Rich
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Deckard's Blaster. Help? Reply with quote

Welcome Rook,
Here is what I can add...

DaithRook wrote:
Hello all!
1.) Can anyone attest to the quality of Out World (Offworld) Inc.?

They are good guns for the price, and much more durable than resin, and even the soft pewter of the Sidkits. They are mass production made and not truly accurate. The grips are also very small and most adults will not feel comfortable with holding it. It also feels and looks a bit toy like. Still it is a great base to start a custom version with, and they fit the holsters so are also great for costuming. They also have working triggers and lights, and later versions have some upgraded accurized parts and better paint job.

Quote:
2.) What is a Stunt Model?

Here is my Glossary with some explanations of all the terms you might find here...
http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=1378

Like what was said before, the original "Stunts" were black rubber single piece versions of the gun used for filming. We also use the term for simpler non-functional versions of the gun replicas.

See also my history of the different gun replicas here...
http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=132

Quote:
3.) What is the difference between a Kit and a Buildup Model?

~Rook

Also stated before, a kit is one you have to build yourself, and a Build-up (Built-up) is one already built, by anybody who builds it.

Andy
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO only.

Get a Blaster from Rich.

The kit if you have mad skills or are patient and willing to practice.

If you can afford it get the Deluxe like I did. It comes complete and put together ready for wiring, and a finish, paint, pewter black finish, whatever you like. You can further refine and finish it as well.

You can pay for the complete one but it's a lot more and finishing the Deluxe is a lot of fun and very little work. Plus then you can finish it to your exact taste.

The kit is great but don't learn on it. Practice every step on scrap material and then once you have it down work on your kit.

The Offworld is $300 I believe. By the time you are done upgrading you will have spent what you will on a Rich kit and IMO it's the best, most accurate blaster there is. Many who know far more than me say the same thing. It also just feels incredible in the hand. Just like the real thing. I have numerous gun replica's and Rich's is by far the best.

My opinion only of course.

P.S. I have no buisness connection with Rich or any of his affiliates, offer not valid in Rhode Island and Texas, Void Where prohibited.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: