FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Little Desktop Imagery and a huge proposal...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If we can come to a mutual agreement to get some things made, what would be first on your list?
The Spinner
 30%  [ 13 ]
The Blimp
 9%  [ 4 ]
The Voight-Kampf Machine
 46%  [ 20 ]
Small Diorama Set/Miniatures
 9%  [ 4 ]
Just some nice prints to hang on my wall
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 43

technocoy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Little Desktop Imagery and a huge proposal... Reply with quote

Ok guys,

My friend is a game designer at Activision and a fellow Blade Runner fanatic. She knows some folks on a creative game designer forum and they had a contest to do movie scenes in-game. As in this is really rendered on a game engine and can be navigated. This particular one is on the Cry Engine. The Engine used to make Crysis and such.

Now, I'm including the screenshots with credit to the artists since I think this is absolutely stunning. I also wanted you guys to see them and have them as backgrounds, etc.

Here's the kicker. I have made contact with this team of folks who are also fans (obviously) about working with me to create and manufacture some of the props/artwork we've all been wanting our hands on. Let me tell you all my thoughts and see what you think.

I have access to a 3D printer that could be used to output some of these models and physical pieces that we could then assemble as kits. I also own a high-end Epson large format printer.

My thoughts are to compel these folks to work with me to get the community some of our most desired pieces outside the blaster. I have access to the tools and experience in toy design and production. My professional background in in design and web development. I do a little 3d when I can make time.

Now. I want to share this with you all to get feedback on what you all think about tackling a few projects. I am NOT in this to make any money. I want the props more than anything so this will be a labor of love for me and hopefully for the folks doing the modeling and artwork.

I would ask that we not inundate these guys with emails and requests. I have made an initial outreach and have explained to them that any money I imagine these costing would be pretty much to help them cover their time and me to get the pieces made.

That being said, I'd love it if they agree to help us out. I know many 3d artists, but none that have gone so far to create the BR atmosphere like this and with this much appreciation, so I think they are the perfect fit for me to team up with.

If something requires any type of mass production techniques I'm willing to front SOME money for tooling, ink, paper types, mold materials etc, but I will more than likely need to take very serious preorders for stuff. I'm talking very short runs of what I hope to be fine art quality pieces.

For each physical 3D item there would be a few approaches depending on interest.

a) We could either get a large number of orders together and make a short manufactured run. I have several contacts I have used for the toy pieces I have produced. They are pretty trustworthy and a decent price overall.

b) Only a few folks can afford to think about (higher cost pieces) it and we go the highly detailed route and print out each one on the printer and finish them ourselves... I can get waterslip decals made or rub-ons that we can clearcoat.

c) I'll print out one perfect piece, make molds of everything and attempt to cast the kits in my basement. This will need to be a larger kit if we want a nice amount of detail from home-casting. I have a vacuum setup and a pressure pot but even then it's a tedious process with smaller parts.

Now that that is out of the way, and making the very LARGE assumption they will even accept my offer. I want to throw my initial thoughts out there.

1: A model of the Spinner. They have modeled it to quite an amount of detail for this and I don't think it would take much to have them separate out some parts to have it be more detailed and intricate.

1b: The Blimp. I want this so bad I can't stand it. If we went large enough we could also have an LCD on this as well as LED lights, routing etc.

2: The holy Voight-Kampf. I'm talking bad ass here. Prototype the parts, have the boot made in butyl rubber and have the option of an LCD with video input.

3: Miniatures from the sets. things like the front of the white dragon, the entryway to the bradbury, etc. We could even see about doing some small diorama pieces (I personally love this idea). We could even make small building miniatures (the police station for instance).

4: Misc props from different scenes. If there is enough interest in the group anything is pretty possible. We could recreate any number of things that we have a good enough reference for. Detail pieces for larger props, costumes, etc. Emphasis on enough people wanting it though.

Now, personally I'd like to have a few large formats prints of different angles of this scene they have made. I can go as large here at the studio as 17x36 and anything beyond that I have a close friend who owns a printing company with a 58" epson so we could go up to poster sizes easily if they could output the renders that high.

At any rate, this got me really excited and got my juices flowing creatively. I've been trying to get a buddy of mine to do some models for years, but these guys just love the material and are nearly there already on the spinner.

I would LOVE to see a version of this that we could open on our computers and move around in through the Crysis map loader or something. That would just be sick.

You could even create a series of settings that we could open up and explore.

Eh, I'm getting all giddy and crazy, let's just keep it on the level for now.

Here's what they have done already and what inspired me to contact them about helping us out here at Propsummit.

http://www.crankystudios.com/forum/BRone.jpeg

http://www.crankystudios.com/forum/BRtwo.jpeg

http://www.crankystudios.com/forum/spinner.jpeg

http://www.crankystudios.com/forum/streetlamp.jpeg

try not to download over and over since I'm hosting these for the community on my personal server.

Here's the original thread where they detail creating the scene (very interesting)

http://www.game-artist.net/forums/scene-movie-competition/9040-sfam-replicants.html

Hope you all enjoy! It has really inspired me and hopefully opened up a huge door for us.
technocoy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS,

Those of you interested in offering your skills or help, don't hesitate. A team is always better than a single schlep trying to sort all this out.

I have all our best interests at heart here, but sometimes things are harder to get done than initially thought.

PM me if you'd like to offer some advice, help, or expertise.

Thanks guys. I really hope they are excited by the idea as much as I am and we can all get our hands on some cool stuff soon.

- David
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

I was split between the Spinner and the VK, but since the Spinner is likely to be the landslide winner, I went ahead and threw in with the Spin. Cool
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tossed in for the VK machine. I have three different spinner models already. Not that the one shown here isn't bad ass in the extreme.

A tiny, desktop size model of the Tyrell pyramids would be cool too.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff indeed.
It has to be the VK. I can go to any ebay and get a spinner right now.
Look at how much interest we got and made virtually no progress on a group VK, this may be our only chance to have one.
drmcoy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in all of this...but voight kompff machine would be pretty slick, although blimp might be my favorite.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see more of the other vehicles made, especially Sebastian's van and the Taxi's, as well as the other street cars and spinners. making a set of them in scale with the briefcase set spinner, or the Ertl die-cast cars would be very cool. I have never seen them done before except Deckard's sedan and the orange Alfa Romeo spinner.

Of course all of the stuff on the list is cool too.

Andy
technocoy
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, in reality it's only limited by whether or not these guys are willing to participate and how much we are willing to buy or get behind.

The list isn't a definitive, just throwing out some of the more popular bits i know everyone wants.

The whole idea with the thread is brainstorming with all of you to see what floats to the top.

I definitely think the VK machine would be the coolest as far as the fact that we are all trying to build a bit of a atmosphere from the movie... I mean, we;re trying to get tiles, full size blaster, whiskey bottles, wallets and badges, etc.

I think the VK fits into that scenario nicely.

but I want it all if I can get it of course!!
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VK all the way.....
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technocoy wrote:
but I want it all if I can get it of course!!

There in lies the trouble. Your wallet will not be thanking you.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME PROJECT !!!

If I had to choose one of those most desired props, it would be the VOIGHT KAMPFF of course !

Fred
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VK all the way! Smile I think if your artists worked with the researchers here to at least nail the overall shapes it would be a great start.

Or how about a full Blade Runner level mod for Crysis? I'd love to model the characters for that. already started Deckard Wink
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that sounds good...the VK for me seems to be the choice for now since I have a Spinner already
photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no choice pal ... it has to be VK!

of course, i am sure no one here would mind a diorama of the Bradbury...
cheers for getting this ball rolling technocoy!
Voight kampf
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good work!
I can give the 3D models of my old LA 2019 3D project, if it can help.
The Police tower, the metrokab model and VK machine. I had also started a Rick Deckard car, well advanced!
To see some shots you can take a look at my website: http://la2019game.free.fr
technocoy
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well folks, looks like they may at least be interested. I just got an email asking me for more contact information to discuss... Keep your fingers crossed!

-David
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT NEWS !!!

Fred
repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Hell ! it's not a huge door open, it's Heaven's Gate !!!!
I will definitely vote for the VK, to begin with !! Very Happy
technocoy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

sorry for the non-news... I got a message from them seemingly interested and then I've had a drop-off in communication. They are also off-world (outside the the US) so I'm not sure what time zone they are in (not sure where they are). Hopefully I'll here something soon and you all will be the first to know!

Cheers,
David
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technocoy wrote:
Hey guys,

sorry for the non-news... I got a message from them seemingly interested and then I've had a drop-off in communication. They are also off-world (outside the the US) so I'm not sure what time zone they are in (not sure where they are). Hopefully I'll here something soon and you all will be the first to know!

Cheers,
David

HAHA! I'm Off-World!!!!! NICEEEEEEE!!!!!! Ever suspect to have JF syndrome.... Very Happy

Well, joking aside, all your offers are equally interesting. In fact, a whole Spinner is in project at home... But no timing are available for now. I need to collect some technical info, and then, build a little team (three, four reps at most) and do the job. Our goal is to build one model, then, moulding all the parts, and... well, you know what, REPLICATE IT! Very Happy

Scale will be 1:3 or 1:4... a large one, I think.

Anyway, I'm ever interested in all projects around BR. Despite costs and time, if I can afford it, I get it! Wink

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: