FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
New update at RACProps
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassnoir wrote:
. . . I remember a very sage saying from someone long ago in my past...which goes...."opinions are like assholes.....everybody has one". . .

The full quote is "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they usually stink (or are full of shit, take your pick)."

I'm also not in favor of Rich returning. The subject was brought up amongst the "Guides" a while back (about 3-4 months after he was sent packing), and it was agreed that, at the time, it was too soon and that he hadn't learned anything about how to handle himself in the community. I still don't think he's learned anything. And, while Sid's passing has removed the greatest cause for his rantings, I don't really want to have to deal with his diatribes.
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid's passing has also removed his main competition.

I see the 2.0 version of the RAC Worldcon on eBay now for a $1,200 starting bid (used to be $850 for the 1.0).
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazingly, he'll probably find someone who will pay it. What's that old saying about a fool and his money?

Personally, I'd love to see someone pick up where Sid left off and produce a reasonably priced, high quality, metal blaster kit. The market clearly was and is there. If only someone would fill it.
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldzey wrote:
Sid's passing has also removed his main competition.

I see the 2.0 version of the RAC Worldcon on eBay now for a $1,200 starting bid (used to be $850 for the 1.0).

If we're talking about the same auction, the starting bid was actually $200, the bidders are the ones who have pushed the price to the current $1,200 amount.

darkknight0667 wrote:
Amazingly, he'll probably find someone who will pay it. What's that old saying about a fool and his money?

Personally, I'd love to see someone pick up where Sid left off and produce a reasonably priced, high quality, metal blaster kit. The market clearly was and is there. If only someone would fill it.

Clearly SOMEONE'S willing to pay that price. And I agree with your sentiments. the market (especially right now) is ripe to have someone step in & fill the void left by Sid.

Hopefully it will be filled - - - hopefully by someone with integrity.
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus6 wrote:
If we're talking about the same auction, the starting bid was actually $200, the bidders are the ones who have pushed the price to the current $1,200 amount.

Ah, so it is - I thought the "6" was a "0" in the bids. Need to get bifocals or something - my eyes are shot. My bad. Embarassed

You would think with all the photos and discussion that an affordable copy of the hero blaster would be possible.
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich's latest auction blaster sold for $1475.00 after nine bids.

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for Rich. Seriously.

Andy
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Good for Rich. Seriously.

Andy

I agree Andy.

As I said elsewhere, while we can argue the merits and accuracy of each blaster release (as well as the accusations of re-casting), I have to admit to being profoundly grateful to all of the gifted people who have made it their business to produce fabulous replica’s for the rest of us to build and enjoy.

Rich for all his grumpiness has for the most part worked especially hard at giving us a top-notch version. Considering the time and resources spent researching, building and finally producing these, I think that kind of money is not unexpected nor in the least bit undeserved.

I have recently being debating the issue of 'what is art?' with another exceptionally gifted prop builder and while he firmly disagrees with me, its my opinion that an original item like a SidKit or RAC blaster (or BR bottle, or SW saber etc. etc. etc.) is as much a piece of 'art' as a beautifully painted portrait or study of Han Solo, Chris Reeve or a classic figure study painting.

It therefore stands to reason that I believe Rich (and others here) produce popular art. Pity the hours, days and months are seldom acknowledged by the general public for the specialized skills that are employed..

oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well put, Staar.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes Staar, the famous question to "what is art"?...You're right; we have to thank the few people who will spend the time making those replicas...and, yes; there's always a market for the kind of work Siderio was producing (wish he was still here).
Rick Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply refuse to pay that kinda money for a replica regardless of who makes it. call me crazy if you will.

Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: