FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
ALIEN DERELICT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

Location: In my office playing golf, pouring drinks, making deals.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: ALIEN DERELICT Reply with quote

actually I hope to get some cool pictures added here, and a bit of discussion.
I started shaping the prototype for the derelict model. Although I have not decided on a medium for the kit, I am leaning towards a fairly inexpensive but revolutionary material for a kit ..more on that later lol.

I whipped out a basic shape out of styrofoam in about 45 min taking a break doing molds.., and although Im not ready to show it yet, I can tell you that it is actually the most graceful derelict form I have seen. The "booms" look great...a beautiful slight arc on one that is not on another kit I have seen out there.... so c'mon, help a brother out with some pictures, and great discussion. I need a consensus here before I do any glass work to it
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm going to look on my files... What is your priority right now : The general shape or the detailing ?

Fred

PS : I've never seen any pic of the rear of that ship... How are you going to do this ?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Fred, there must be some refs concerning the rear of that model...what is particular about Ridley's m.o. is that all the models are completed and can be shot from every angle (unlike S.W. where many hero models are only half-built and detailed: i.e. the Death Star, Sandcrawler, etc)
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, JTP, you are busy.
Can't wait to see pictures of it Smile
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ahve a great rear shot of the Derelict just before being removed after filming...on the rear, the detail is unfinished and bare... We will need to do some speculation here guys... i will post a pic when I can pull over off of the highway....
blipper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will this be to scale with your Nostromo, JT? look forward to seeing your progress. I see Dennis Lowe has added another Alien page with some interesting Nostromo/Derelict shots.

Seems less and less likely that the silo is within the ship in this shot? (even though I prefer that idea)

I keep thinking that in this photo that on the wall behind him and to our right is perhaps a small build Derelict?

I need hook up and raid my old pc, I'm sure I have other Derelict photo's, though wouldn't be surprised if they're old news.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a 3D model on this site: http://www.angelfire.com/droid/redemption00/Other.html#

Might give you some ideas for what to do with the back. That also brings up the question of which end of the derelict is the bow and which is the stern.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blipper wrote:

I keep thinking that in this photo that on the wall behind him and to our right is perhaps a small build Derelict?

Certainly looks like it is

Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shot from the movie plus Screen Captures from the dvd of Giger's concepts.

The following images show it after it was crated up and sent to the US...I cannot find the site where the images are from; I apologize, I will find it asap and put a link up here with credit.

I think this shot was the model in poor shape at an auction sometime in the last year or two.

Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wow..it looks horrible Sad who in the world would let it go to garbage like that?????? Thanks for the cool pictures here Space jockey...! I noticed some more square panel looking details right where the horns meet the body, and some grill looking things...very cool
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that they used guitar strings (various thickness) to achieve the "piping" look on the ship. Make sense; it's pliable and looks good.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we sure that last picture is the derelict from Alien and not the one from Aliens? I ask because I remember seeing some preproduction photos from Aliens and that same arm is bent and broken in that spot. Cameron wanted the derelict to appear broken due to volcanic activity caused by the terraforming process. Which in my book kind of shit on the concept of the derelict as being durable enough to last for millennia.

Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loyalizer wrote:
Are we sure that last picture is the derelict from Alien and not the one from Aliens? I ask because I remember seeing some preproduction photos from Aliens and that same arm is bent and broken in that spot. Cameron wanted the derelict to appear broken due to volcanic activity caused by the terraforming process. Which in my book kind of shit on the concept of the derelict as being durable enough to last for millennia.

You know, that is an excellent point you just made. The derelict sitting there for 1.6 million years, and a volcano breaking it...and making the plotline of the spinoff "ALIENS" even more unbelievable is that this happened right during the period between the Nostromo landing and Ripley getting back home. That is just too far fetched to believe possible. too coincedental LOL.

actually somebody posted (I dont know if it was here or not) that the derelict sat in somebodys back yard in the elements for several years and was damaged or broken or something, so they used the model again with the broken horn and made up the story that it got "volcano damaged"

I have seen people sweeping ash and soot off sidewalks from a volcano, houses burned up in Iceland, stuff with obvious heat damage,
but never structural damage like that...does not compute.

to sum it up: I totally agree.. "Lame-o...."

I saw about 1/2 of ALIENS, it was too set with the early 80's "shootem' -up" genre...could have substituted any "bad guys" and people would have went to see it. I did not see "ALien-3"

I did see last thursday about 30 minutes of "Alien-4" where the aliens were "talking" to each other just too "human"
...too "stoooopid" ..up to the part where all of the cops jumped in the escape pod and it blew up.
In my humble opinion it was bad, I had to turn it off. Just rubbish... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aliens is good even if it does depart from some of the original films concepts.I hate all the rest of the sequels and don't get me started on the AVP garbage... Evil or Very Mad
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTP, you've only seen 1/2 of ALIENS?!? Sacrilege!! I like it almost as much as Alien. Shocked See the other half, you might like it.

Ash describes the planet subgrade to be rock with a lava base... may be that the newly created atmosphere that the Atmosphere Processor made (seen in Aliens, JTP go see it) kicked off the volcanoes and whatnot damaging the derelict...
The derelict in Aliens is the same as the one in Alien. It got damaged between the two movies unfortunately. I'm not suprised really its in the shape its in.... I don't have the Giger's Alien book to hand, but I think the basic core model was covered with clay, plastercene and wire for the detailing...and that would've just peeled right off. Confused
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Bob Burns say on the Alien Quadrilogy extras that the derelict was in his back yard?

Andy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Doesn't Bob Burns say on the Alien Quadrilogy extras that the derelict was in his back yard?

Andy

You are correct, sir !

Fred
blipper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Jockey wrote:
JTP, you've only seen 1/2 of ALIENS?!? Sacrilege!!

Shame on you JTP
I love the ALIENS movie, not as much as ALIEN, but it's still a really great movie.
Favourite characted is definitely Hudson.
"Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen!"
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aliens is a very different film.Ridley did the whole "monster loose on a ship thing"so well you can't expect to do a sequel that tops it.So Cameron went action movie with it and did it very well.It is not without it's problems(the whole queen vs Ripley angle was pretty stupid)but it is a good film in it's own right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Scale Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: