FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
looking for a blaster holster
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2001alalal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: looking for a blaster holster Reply with quote

hi guys
im new here & really like the site
i was wondering if anyone would know where i could buy a holster
for a blaster
thanks
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard 2001alalal, you'll like it here!
chew
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually the guy who bought Phil's last one but there's 10 more on order

http://props.steinschneider.com/brblaster/csholster.htm

have a better one.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say here:
While Phils Holster's are well made and CERTAINLY good for any RESIN Blaster I can't recommend them for any metal blaster...
THEY DON'T HOLD THEM! PLUS you have to wear and extra wide belt to keep them from shifting around.
chew
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a re-done offworld, and the holster works just fine for that. I did have to manually bend the steel inside first but after a bit of tweaking it worked great. Also my only complaint about it is that almost none of my belts fit in the strap!!!

I can imagine that the weight of a sidkit could be too much for it. I am on the waiting list {hopefully} for a Japanese blaster so it will be interesting to see if it holds the weight of one of those.

Now Once-Bitten is making me second guess the addition of lead fishing weights to the buttplate... any suggestions?
Delmustator
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not but Tractor Supply Co. has some of the best, rugged belts you can find for use with the holster.

After years of messing around with slacker belts from Wal-mart and the sort. I found that TSC carries belt for use on the farm that look good and are of thick leather. I purchased one specifically for use with the holster. Cost $19..

These are the only belts I buy these days. I also use them when I carry my Ruger 9mm auto..

Note: The holster seems to work fine with my Hartford. Not sure about the SID...
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still trying different ways to convert the existing Safariland shoulder holsters into belt holsters. I know the spring on these original holsters will hold the Sidkit no problem. The main issue is with what it will do with finish and greeblies. Doc3d may be able to give us an update on how well the Phil S. holster will hold an all metal gun too.

Andy
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually was largely responsible for the development of the first version of the Coyle/Phil holster (open bottom, rivited on belt loop). Rich sent me a stunt blaster and I worked with a custom holster maker I knew. I have the original prototype holster in my collection. Rich and Phil continued to improve and market the design. That holster maker relocated so another maker was used from (I think) version 3 and beyond.

I have been making them out of what I believe is the same original holster as used in the movie. I have to modify it not only for the look, but also to hold my metal blasters (both Coyles). The resin ones IMHO are too fragile to "draw" out of a holster. The modified holsters work fine holding up the metal blasters and they draw out fine. The version one Rich/Phil holster I helped create holds the metal blaster, but I think my modified Safariland shoulder holster holds it more securely and looks more "aged". Plus, the "real" holster has a suede lining that protects the finish and also helps to secure the gun a little more.

Here's a pic of the converted police shoulder holster with my pre-Worldcon Coyle metal:

Details (note that the cut mark at the bottom, back is where you have to remove the "tie-down" strap from the original holster):

I had to open up the "pocket" of the large caliber revolver shoulder holster to accomodate the large front end of the gun, so I simply wet molded it over my police baton as shown. I also wrapped my blaster in Saran Wrap and wet molded the upper part of the holster for a perfect fit the same way many folks do with real, duty leather:

I was happy with the converted holsters. I had a leathersmith do the cutting and stitching. Hope this helps a little.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some different Safariland holsters...

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

links to older propsummit threads on the subject...

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=1210&highlight=holsters

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=181&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Andy
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Some different Safariland holsters...

Andy

Now I know why these once abundant, disgarded holsters are no longer to be found...Andy scoops them all up. Confused Nice collection.

Andy, could you post pics of any that you cut and converted, please? That middle, far left one has the perfect patina/aging to match a Worldcon with a similar level of patina/aging. I'd love to buy that one from you if you are not going to use it, or maybe work on a trade with you for an already converted Safariland large cal. revolver holster (looks the same as the one I posted).

As one who wears a gun at work and off duty, I can tell you that the blaster is a pig to carry. I wear a .45 full sized H&K USP and it is nothing compared to the weight and unwieldyness of carrying a blaster. Plus, Deckard wore a skinny, fashionable belt which is a no-no for anyone who carries a gun for more than 10 minutes. If you need to wear a thin belt with this setup, get a double lined belt from one of the leathermakers who specialize in fashionable holsters and belts for cops. They make these skinny dress belts designed to help support a gun.

For those of you who have asked, sorry, but I don't offer them for sale. I'd wait until Phil S. restocks. His are pretty much the de facto standard for a commercially made replica holster and he tends to do his homework, making improvements he finds along the way.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my eye out for all of the variations for sure Smile. My holster that I am converting is not in the pics. It has a lot more work to go.

The "patina'd" holster on the left is also a smaller version that I talked about in one of the other threads. It needs serious work since it was probably in someone's basement and is mildewed. Not even sure if it can be saved or not. I keep it in a bag with some desiccant for now and might put in some Baking soda too. It does fit the snubs, but I am not sure what I am going to do with it. I had offers on it, but with the mildew I don't feel comfortable selling it. Trade maybe.

The holsters do not show up very often at all. Probably because newer/cheaper/better are more plentiful. They used to sell for under $50 and since the info on here as become more viewed, the prices of the 4" shoulder holsters have shot up into the hundreds.

Andy
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised nobody with a vacforming table hasn't tooled up a Fobus style holster for one of these guns. It'd be an interesting variant.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the PKD world, a kydex holster would make sense since animal hides (leather) are prohibited.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well technically wouldn't it just be replicated leather, same as the animoids? With the better the quality of replication and workmanship, the higher the price?

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While vac-forming a PKD sounds like a good idea (the look is very futuristic) it presents a few challenges, i.e. the rubbing of the weapon against the plastic of the holster and how to properly secure the holster to a belt. The mold should be a little bigger than the original blaster so as to line the holster with Moleskin or other variant to keep the weapon from being scratched. Maybe here or the RPF someone could take on this particular project?
Gee Dub
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would like a holster I saw one on ebay but way too expensive. I was able to get some photos of the original holster when Bryan Ebenhoch and I went to see the flying spinner when it was at profiles in history. We were in a hurry to shoot photos of the spinner in the warehouse so I only took at couple photos. What I find interesting are the marking on the rear.. If I get a holster I will try to replicate those markings
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they the Safariland logos? The deer head and antlers? Please share some of these pics Very Happy

Andy
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to see the pics aswell Smile
Gee Dub
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is the safariland logo and some words the photos are about 1200X 800 pixels should I decrease the size? Should I send it to a member? I have never put photos on prop summit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: